FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Airline Tickets, what's the best site to buy them?

Author Topic: Airline Tickets, what's the best site to buy them?
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's right boys and girls, I'm in need of Airline Tickets. Cheap. I'd fly steerage if that was an option.

What are the sites y'all use to buy them online (other than the sites from the airlines). I need to be able to choose my departure times, so Priceline is out. Expedia and Travelocity are actually worse than the airline sites.

So, what else is out there?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Orbitz - $404
Expedia - $388
Travelocity - $403
Cheaptickets - $388

American - $401
Delta - $401

[ October 06, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Feyd Baron ]

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i've had friends use orbitz.

what i often do is use travelocity and orbitz together to check what the going rate is,
then i bid on priceline for a bit cheaper, and slowly raise my bids as needed till i hit within my allowed range.

but i usually very flexible on times.

www.orbitz.com

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
usually i very good in english speaking, too.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, right. So I can draw the conclusion that no one on hatrack buys airline tickets online, or they pay far too much for them, right?

And porce, aren't we all?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually fly Southwest. American Airlines, Ive found, has always been more expensive.
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I usually use www.smarterliving.com. They have a list of current air fare and hotel deals. We've used their last-minute web fares many times, as well.

Actually, if you are planning your trip far enough in advance, you can sometimes get the lowest fares from the airlines themselves.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, jetBlue is great if you're going to and from cities on their routes.

www.jetblue.com

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a student or under 26, try www.sta.com. You may have to pay $25 for the card so you can actually use the tickets but a friend of mine got tickets to the UK a couple months ago for less than $200. They don't have the most options for flights and you might have to take a connecting flight, but it's worth a shot. And although I'm not a student, I've sometimes found that they're good for finding out who has the cheapest prices.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Dallas.

Stupid American Airlines monopoly. Ticket prices are, on average, 46% higher here than anywhere else in the country.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

Well, thanks to those that offered suggestions. I'm slightly limited by the fact I'm flying out of Lubbock. The number of connections between here and Boston (where I'm going) is of a number that even Southwest thinks it's too many. Same with STA (I actually have a card already, though I had forgotten about that). And I doubt Jet Blue has even heard of Lubbock.

Still looking...

Feyd Baron, DoC

seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit at least three sites, including the Airline's own site.

I'm flying tomorrow from LAX to JFK (Los Angeles to New York), nonstop on Delta, for $211 roundtrip! I found this on Expedia about 5 weeks ago.

Your best deals are usually found if you plan way in advance or if you go last minute (the Hotwire or Priceline idea).

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.