FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lion, Witch & Wardrobe 2004 Movie

Author Topic: Lion, Witch & Wardrobe 2004 Movie
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard about the movie to be released next year by a director who worked on Shrek. Has anyone else heard about this? The quick release of this makes me wonder about the quality. Just curious for any news from the omniscient insiders of Hatrack. [Group Hug]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it will compare to the wonderful Wonderworks (made for TV) movies of the series that PBS showed several years back.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

I did just find the official website at narnia.com, though it is still under construction.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I can't wait to see it now! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope and pray they don't make it all cutesy, with modern humor and sensibilities. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
the site said that they plan to make all seven films. That would be tremendous. My favorite was the magicians nephew. I cant wait to see that one!
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it could be good and it could be awful. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I guess I'll try checking out the Wonder Works from the Library.

edit: but it smells like they are trying to catch the classic fantasy wave

[ October 07, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie has been in the works for a long time. It's been a topic of discussion on the MereLewis mailing list since at *least* 1996. The Estate of C. S. Lewis, led by Douglas Gresham (his stepson) has repeatedly halted the project for being untrue to the original. Hopefully this means that they finally got their way rather than that they finally gave up.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeehaw!! That will be so fun! My favorite was #5, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. [Big Grin] Thanks for all the info!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh! Cool!
quote:
I just hope and pray they don't make it all cutesy, with modern humor and sensibilities. . .
yeah, that would definately ruin them but with such potential and the amazing success of LotR I would think they would want to do a more LotR-style movie.

I was in a theatre production of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe once, it was awesome! (even though I had to play Peter) The script we used was really good but I don't know if it was a "real" script or if the director wrote it based on the book.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a movie version of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe once. It was really good.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the television series (or a television series)... I rather liked that version and I can't imagine the characters looking any different.

(Although I would die to see The Horse and His Boy, it's my favourite)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The PBS series was awesome - they can't possibly outdo it . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's being filmed in New Zealand, and WETA and Richard Taylor are working on it. I'm psyched [Big Grin] Go CGI Aslan!

[ October 07, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

The PBS series was good, but if the movie turns out to be only as good as that, I will be disappointed. It was good, but it was obvious that it was a TV show. However, I did like how close to the story they stuck. But acting and special effects is where I hope this upcoming movie will improve.

[ October 07, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Marlozhan ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia- That's my favorite too!

Are these the same people who were working on it a couple of years back? I remember reading an interview in which the directer asserted that they wished to dispel any illusions that The Chronicles of Narnia contained Christian influences. [Roll Eyes]

[ October 07, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Wonderworks version! I love the fact that Lucy is so chubby.

And my favorite is by far The silver Chair. No - The Last Battle.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oooh...blacwolve. Wouldn't that suck? Clive would turn over in his grave and curse I think... [Grumble]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
the last battle terrified me, when mom read it to us, I had a horrible nightmare about it. My favorite was either the Voyage of the Dawn Treader or Prince Caspian
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
perfect timing! they'll do one of these a year...and then wrinkle in time...and then...by then Wheel of Time will be done...and then...and then...mmmm...I could die a happy child...
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt it will compare to the wonderful Wonderworks (made for TV) movies of the series that PBS showed several years back.

Wonderful? [Confused]
maybe I don't remember those movies very well. I thought they were the ones with really bad acting and horrible effects which cut out half the plot of the books.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember reading an interview in which the directer asserted that they wished to dispel any illusions that The Chronicles of Narnia contained Christian influences.

Uh, isn't Aslan Jesus?

Why on earth would anybody deny that those book sare christian? CS lewis has such good metaphors and parellels for chrisitan material. I'm not christian, but still, those books are christian they should be christian.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
A question for all of you Narnia lovers: I have been a long time fan of Lewis. I have been reading his non-fiction since I was in high school and admire him a lot. So the other day I decided to sit down and read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for the first time. I didn't like it a bit. I thought is was much worse than, say, the first Harry Potter book. I thought the characters were all contrived and the plot was little more than a series of dues ex machinas. All the children had to do was show up and watch Aslan fix everything; I literally cannot think of a single time where any of the children accomplish anything through their own initiative. So this is my question: Are all of the Narnia books like that? Should I bother reading them, or should I stick with Lewis's books for adults?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Edmund certainly controls the plot of the first book by his actions. Peter kills the White Witch's Lieutenant, Fenris. Lucy is, of course, the one who gets them there to begin with...

But to answer your question: yes, the characters become much more directly involved as the series goes forward.

Edit to add: How can a story which is an allegory for Christ avoid using Deus Ex Machina? The incarnation is the single greatest Deus Ex Machina of all time... Chesterton would say the whole point of Christianity is that it is, precisely, the God from the Machinery coming in to make everything all right.

Narnia: A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader are two of my favorites. Another great beginning there:
quote:
There was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
I don't think, however, that anyone has captured "the fear of God" quite like Lewis does at the beginning of The Silver Chair in the scene where Jill wants to get a drink. I get goose bumps everytime I read that passage.

[ October 08, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
perfect timing! they'll do one of these a year...and then wrinkle in time...
The A Wrinkle in Time movie is done. It won Best Children's Film at the 2003 Toronto Film Festival.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They have also approved for making, the movie version of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Here's an update from TORN http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1069582716

Looks like it's not coming out until 2006, but the good news is, it will be live action and filmed in New Zealand. Yipee!!!

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the Wonderworks production with the chubby Lucy. Hated it. I really liked the cartoon version, though. I think I must have seen the cartoon when I was just the right age or something, it really caught my imagination. I can still play some of the music from the cartoon version in my head and I haven't even watched it in at least a decade.

This new version sounds exciting. It will be interesting to see how Aslan comes out looking onscreen, since they plan to use a real lion.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I also hated the Wonderworks version. I didn't care that she was chubby, but Lewis refers to her as golden-haired in the books! Also, her overbite and bad acting really bothered me.

I feel much better knowing that Richard Taylor and Weta are involved. I'm glad they're using a real lion.

Gosh, I hope these are good. I don't think that I can take another horrible movie version of a book I love.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always hoped for a modern movie of the Chronicles. It was just about getting time to read them again, anyway. If it's not coming out until 2006, though, that means I've got time to finish the LotR books and get through Harry Potter. YAY!!!
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Latest news

Best news yet: WETA workshop will be heading up the production team for these movies. Sounds good to me. [Smile]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on a second. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is number 5 now? When did that happen?? The collection I have from years ago has LWW then Prince Caspian, then VotDT, Silver Chair, and I forget how it goes after that. The first one chronologically is either number 5 or 6.

I got confused when I saw the collection in a different order recently, but I hadn't realized that it was that out of order. So how would they make the movies (I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I appologize if it's been answered)? Chronologically or in the order that I have them (I assume that's the order they were written/published)?

-Mike

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Deus Ex Machina
Definition, please?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
God in the Machine. In Greek and Roman drama it was a god lowered by stage machinery to resolve a plot or extricate the protagonist from a difficult situation.
Now it's used to refer to any unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot.
Usually hokey and unsatisfying to the reader/viewer, although "Raider of the Lost Ark" used a good one.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
As long it's not animation I'm fine. I heard they're making one of my favorite elementary books (The Polar Express) into an animated movie and it's not the same now. They have Tom Hanks telling the story, but it wouldn't be the same.

Grr

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, with the Polar Express, they filmed it in live action, and then adapted the live action performances to CG in order to get the look of the original illustrations in the book. It looks fantabulous.

--

And yes, is the last few years, they 'renumbered' the Narnia books in Chronological order. The current order is:

1. Magician's Nephew
2. Lion, the Witch the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

I, too, have the set with the original order (LW&W is 1, PC 2, VDT 3, SC 4, H&HB 5, MN 6, LB 7)

The first film, at least, is LW&W - which is where it should begin. It was the first bok written. the origially published order followed the story better, IMO. 1-4 were a bit of a continous story with recurring characters - 5 was a bit of a Side Story taking plac in the middle of LW&W, 6 was a flashback to the Creation of Narnia, and the creation of the Wardrobe, and then 7 was The End. I think this was a perfect order.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*shameless brag*

I have a poster map of Narnia, in full color illustrated by Pauline Baynes (I think that was her name) the original illustrator. Unfortunately it fell off the wall and got damaged in the Northridge earthquake, and has faded, but it is still there and pretty darn cool, if I do say so myself.

My birthday present from Steve a couple of years ago was the full color edition of the Narnia books, though in paperback not hardback. I can't remember which numbering system was used on those.

I definitely subscribe to the original numbering system.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Silver Chair is absolutely my favourite. I hope they do make them...that would be so great.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Chris. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo. I'm excited.. (missed this thread) I liked A Horse and His Boy best... And I liked the Wonderworks version. And I'm excited now. ^_^
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
i saw the wardrobe that was in Lewis' house and supposedly inspired the series, and the desk that TOlkien wrote The Hobbit on at a small museum in Wheaton College (in Illinois)

boast

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*nods vigorously*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Rudolph, sorry, I didn't see that you'd posted... I've been in the pub where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis sat together, and wrote... and some of their original illustrations and stuff are on the wall of their "usual table."

I've also been to the place where Lewis Carroll sat and created "Alice and Wonderland," and I've been to the house of the girl that Alice was based on.

quote:
boast
[Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
boast
I have been too, um... I have... ok, I got nothing to say there, but if I am ever a famouse writer then I will have been to almost everywhere that the famouse author, who is me, has been.

[Edited to fix the quote, I had put a capitol B]

[ December 28, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Koga ]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see 'The Horse and His Boy', but I also fondly remember the/a TV series, and I'm worried that they will be too... how can I put this... fluffy. (?)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.