FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling dkw or others... what's a good history of the reformation?

Author Topic: Calling dkw or others... what's a good history of the reformation?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a nicely-written, well-researched history of the Protestant Reformation, preferably with an emphasis on Martin Luther. Does anyone have any recommendations?

[ October 07, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
possibility

I haven't read this, just a thought. Amazon is good for finding worth-while reads

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it but, as far a recent books go, Martin Luther: The Christian between God and Death from Harvard University Press intrigues me most.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
These two titles seem to be quite popular as well:

Timothy George, Theology of the Reformers (Nashville: BroadmanPress, 1988)

Alister McGrath, Reformation Thought: An Introduction (Oxford:Blackwell, 1988)

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Thanks, Zal!

I see you take your arts and letters call very seriously.

*runs like mad to stand next to Mrs. Card* Ha! The lightning will never get me here.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t have a good general history of just the reformation – but I like Justo Gonzalez’s “The Story of Christianity.” Unfortunately, the reformation is the break-point between the two volumes. So if you need stuff leading up to it you want Volume One and if you need the reformation itself you want Volume Two. They’re only $23 each in paperback, though, so it’s not too bad. It’s not an in depth history – more of an overview.

Of course, you can always go right to the source – Three Treatises by Martin Luther.

My historical theology professor was an emphatic proponent of reading original texts rather than books about them, so I don’t have as many history books in my library as I do historical books. I’ll ask some of my friends who focused more on Reformation history and see what they recommend.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.