FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Column That Wasn't: Liberal media 1, Rush 0 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Column That Wasn't: Liberal media 1, Rush 0
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have nearly as much problem with prospective minority students being favored as with minority job-seekers being favored. The students, after all, will presumably go on into their chosen fields with an adequate education and then prosper (or not) on their acquired merits. On the other hand, hiring or promoting people on a basis other than merit is a genuinely Bad Idea, most especially in fields that deal directly with people's safety or health. In such fields, we need the best people available, completely regardless of race or another other factor.

One thing I've thought of is the possibility that AA might be used only as a punitive measure against businesses and organizations that have been demonstrated to disciminate. I suppose, however, that the people discriminated against might not come to work for such an employer anyway.

I suppose I'm not the best person to ask about college and such, being the first person in my working-class family to graduate from it (with honors, no less).

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.