FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spot the fake smile....

Author Topic: Spot the fake smile....
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Right here.

I got 10 out of 20 correct. And there's an interesting explanation at the end.

FYI -- make sure and push the play button, I got confused with that at first. The play button displays the smile in which you're supposed to rate.

[ October 08, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also confused by the play button thing, hehe. I got thirteen.
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Seventeen.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 15. Interesting. And I was split about evenly for the ones I got wrong.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 17 out of 20.

Most of the time you could tell if it was genuine by whether or not their head bobbed, since the genuine smiles weren't smiles as much as they were laughter.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I guess this means that people can pull the wool over my eyes pretty easy.

[Grumble]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 13 right. I pretty much thought they all looked phony. After about a half dozen, I picked up on the head bobble thing, and finished strong.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

It's OK Pat.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I only got nine. sadness.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I think I'll do the Ickey shuffle.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I got 16, and I got the last 14 in a row correct. I think that after the first few, you get better at looking for signs.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
there were some ugly people on there.
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
17. I think it's partly the eyes. They crinkle more when it's a real smile.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
15. I got four in a row wrong. [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I got only 10. I'm surprised I got as many as I did. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which ones I missed because there was no chance to play them again afterwards. I did consider a lot of the ones that showed an unhappy face before and after to be fake.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Woods is not bitter, even though injuries ended his football career prematurely, leaving him to make a living hawking frozen foods door-to-door in Cincinnati.
Dang. That sucks. I mean, to a point, anyway.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 17 as well. I mainly watched the eyes. I marked two that were genuine as fake, though. I think I thought that there hadn't been enough fake ones. I do that on multiple choice tests, too. "Hmmm....there hasn't been an A in a while. I'll pick A."
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 

And I rated myself at the beginning as not being able to do well at identifying the different smiles.

When WILL I learn to trust my instincts?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I only got 12 out of 20... and all the ones wrong were in the first half.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

quote:
Dang. That sucks. I mean, to a point, anyway.
You mean, that's not you?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
18, and I totally suspected the old guy who wouldn't open his mouth. Boo yah!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

quote:
there were some ugly people on there.
But what would you do if they needed a hug?

And I'm waiting for the inevitable Dobie. Who will be smart enough to think like me?

Icarus
Member # 3162

Yes, it is. Would you like to buy an autograph? I could mail it to you.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I knew I was pretty good at reading facial expression . . . but I didn't expect to get 20 out of 20. [Cool]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad! The smiles wouldn't play for me. I even clicked the play button and everything... [Frown]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
damn, I only got sixteen. I marked a couple genuine as fake, but they were close calls. *mutter grumble*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, if your instincts actually _work_, you're better off than I. [Grumble]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I got seventeen, and two of them I got wrong I almost went the other way on.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I got thirteen.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Only 11. It was hard to tell.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
14. I thought length of time they smiled was s'posed to be an indicator, but maybe the people running the thing told the subjects something really harsh to get them to stop smiling.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I got sixteen. And I only started getting them wrong after reading all the advice about head nods. Crazies. [Smile]

I think they looked fake when people would just suddenly stop smiling, as if someone said "Stop smiling now!"

[ October 10, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I got fifteen. I thought I would be worse, I'm really no good at tell sarcasm and I figured this would be the same.

I look at the eyes. If they twinkle, it's a smile.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
16, i didn't think i'd do that well.

did any of you see this special on TLC? we caught parts of it.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Nine. I knew it; I'm a robot.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifteen for me. I got the first six right, then four in a row wrong. (But then I got the last eight)

This was a really cool link, Pat.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be among the minority here...I got eight... [Big Grin] <------ that could be considered genuine
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

I was considering using this as a Dobie.. but it's already been done.

SPOT THE FAKE SMILE:

And here's the requisite link: Image (36k)

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
18 of 20

I only missed the third and the 10th one.

Once I started looking at only the eyes and not even paying attention to the rest of the face i was fine.

Eyes have always been the most important aspect of the face for me. I have a pretty good understanding of people and one of my key hot spots for interpreting people's emotions and actual attitudes is the eyes. They dont lie.

[Hat]

[ October 10, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

Friday nights are so depressing on Hatrack. I guess everybody has a life beyond the Internet.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well - my 9 year old got 10 out of 20. Hmmm.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm floored. I got 20 out of 20. It was the eyes for me, as well, Yebor.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives Megan*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 15 of 20. I know I got 6 wrong because I was like, ah who cares, eenie meenie miney moe! I liked how the thing at the end told you how to figure it out.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.