FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A bright and bitter spot in my week

Author Topic: A bright and bitter spot in my week
Possum
Member # 2549

- posted      Profile for Possum   Email Possum         Edit/Delete Post 
...excuse the length...

This week our school district was fortunate to enjoy the company of an articulate, energentic, intelligent, most friendly, and concerned educator.

"Mona" came to us through a Fulbright exchange program. My superintendent arranged for the visit. "Mona" spent a couple of weeks in Washington listening to the Federal view of No Child Left Behind. She visited a couple of suburban Washington, D.C. schools. Then she flew to Lincoln, NE (which has to be a culture shock) and came here to our rural school in northern Kansas (300 sq. miles, 330 kids k-12)for further culture shock.

"Mona" lived with the superintendent (I work for a great lady super) this past week. Since our super likes to walk in the early morning, they both enjoyed the long early morning walks, even though the Kansas air was very chilly to "Mona." She told me she really enjoyed the walks. But seeing "Mona" huddled in a jacket and sweaters must have been a shock to some early rising rural folk.

On Monday, "Mona" came to my school. I met a very poised and articulate young woman of about 32. Her English, faintly British, was excellent. She visited our classrooms, observing teaching techniques and lesson designs. She was really interested in our English program (she had taught English for 6 years), or wood/technology program, the special resource room for students on I.E.P.'s, social studies, and science. Our teachers were impressed by her. "Mona" stood about 5 feet 2 inches, many of the American kids towering over her in the halls. But she had a way of looking us straight in the eye, full of interest in what we were doing.

I just felt good about what she was trying to do: make her school of 800 girls a better place.

Last night at dinner "Mona" showed a CD she had made. There were pictures of her country, her school (she is a principal or "head mistress") and her town of 3,000. We enjoyed the evening and the company. It was a friendly time. She told us a humorous story about declining an offer of marriage.

"Mona" left us this morning. At the airport, security was very careful of Muna (Mona)because she wore clothing that covered her head. Her Omani features and her clothing, which covered her completely, made her stand out. She stood out in the halls of our schools in Kansas and on the streets of our small Kansas town too. That did not keep her from coming here to learn.

She smiled when the airport security was so very thorougly checking her through the gate. All the superintendent could do was mouth the words "I am so sorry" as she went through the security check, all 5 feet 2 inches of her, wanting to come to our country to learn, actually by herself among so many strangers for the first time in her life.

Take care, Muna.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
That was beautiful, Possum.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum
Member # 2549

You know, sometimes beautiful things happen in a common week when you least expect it.

Thanks

Posts: 201 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that post. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum
Member # 2549

Narnia, it was both easy and difficult to write.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.