FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How exactly do dobies help anyone? Or do they at all?

Author Topic: How exactly do dobies help anyone? Or do they at all?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
They don't!

It is time for a declaration of all-out war on dobies! (Dobbies will be allowed.)

::Grabs pitch forks and torches and starts passing out::

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I love a good angry mob.

*joins angry mob*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
::takes pitchfork and torch::
Let's go!

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time we did something about them. Screw pitchforks and torches, I've got a shed full of rocket launchers, flame-throwers, assault rifles, and a working tank. LET'S RAISE SOME HELL!

[ October 11, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Liquor and Fireworks ]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I like dobies!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies are humorous to pretty much the same extent that threads debating whether Haley Joel Osment should play Ender are enlightening. If you have something worthwhile to start a thread about and notice that you can make a dobie title for it, that's fine. But creating a thread just for the sake of having a title that sounds like another is wasting forum space and pushing more worthwhile threads down... in the beginning it may have been amusing, but it has since grown quite old. That was why a thread was created specifically for dobies.

This is not just a forum. It's Hatrack. If you're going to start a thread about books, food, films, american culture, politics, philosophy, ethics, sports, etc. then that's fine. If you want to start a thread about your personal life and issues you are dealing with, that's fine (as long as you don't do it TOO often!) If you want to start a fun game or want to share a link you enjoyed, that's fine too. But enough is enough with the threads that exist for no reason other than so the author can have a title they find amusing appear on the main page.

As for those who would disagree...

::loads the rocket launcher::

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If you could compile a list of worthwhile threads, as you are obviously more qualified to define "worthwhile" than I, that would be great.

*puts on safety goggles and helmet in preparation for taking a rocket in the nugget*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But enough is enough with the threads that exist for no reason other than so the author can have a title they find amusing appear on the main page.
I agree whole-heartedly. You can start by cutting and pasting your posts on this thread to one of the myriad of other dobie-whining threads. Then deleting this thread.

But wait: this is only the second thread you've started since April 13, Xappy, and it's a DOBIE, hahaha --maybe you only wanted to see your name in lights? [Razz] [Wink] [Grumble] [Evil Laugh] [Wall Bash] [Monkeys] [Grumble]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Relax, Morbo. Tres just gets a bug up his ass sometimes. He refuses to believe that intelligent people don't want to talk politics and religion all the time. [Wink]

Maybe we should start a WMD thread so he can blow off some steam.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now... just cause we're the same person, don't blame me for Xap's crusade here!

Not that I don't agree with him though...

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocsirf
Member # 5794

- posted      Profile for Ocsirf   Email Ocsirf         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for executing those morons who post dobies.

The firing squad isn't cruel enough, but it's probably all we can rig.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

What do you know, newbie! Back in your box!! [Mad]
I just hate to be lectured to by humorless hypocrites. "Do as I say, not as I do"
The only one that should be mad in my mind is Tresopax, because he had the original thread that everyone is dobieing.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Should I email you my next 6 posts, just to ensure they are all up to the Hatrack Code(tm), Tres.

Sheesh.

I think the dobie floods that happen are very silly, and a little annoying, but no more so than any number of other posts that flit through. And plus, I make good dobies [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Eddie. How I've missed thee and thy sense of humour.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Through the mist, through the woods, through the darkness and the shadows, it's a nightmare but it's one exciting ride...

KILL THE DOBIES!!!

(Sorry, folks...ever since my little sister bought the video it's been stuck in my head.)

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Et tu, Maccabeus? *pulls knife from back*

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one with a sense of humor around here. Now Xappy, Ocsirf (who ever he really is),Jon Boy, Sarah, the ATF, and Maccebeus, and Tres are coming down on me like a ton of bricks! [Mad] [Eek!]

For what? Just a little humor, a few practical jokes.

Tres, I thought you at least had a sense of humor. Do you really have to take Xappy's side? I know you've pulled your share of jokes on the forum, not much gets by me, my perspicaciousness is second to none. [Big Grin]

Statler
Member # 5795

- posted      Profile for Statler   Email Statler         Edit/Delete Post 
Knock off the dobies, you bum!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the problem is lack of a sense of humor. I think it's that the jokes aren't funny. [Razz]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

What do you know from humor, Sarah? You picked the most humorless President of the last 50 years and added Rappin'.
Lame.

Nagaer
Member # 5796

- posted      Profile for Nagaer   Email Nagaer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I wouldn't pick on other people if I were as lame as you, Morbo. I bet you laze around in your underwear all day hitting the refresh button to see if anyone has replied to your lame-o posts.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Great. A newbie with "nag" in his alias. Just what the argument needed. [Roll Eyes] I'm not lame, I am one of the most perceptive posters here. If you weren't a newbie, you'd know that.

Where do you stand, Kira? Do you like dobies? Or just Frisco?

Does no one but Bok and I have a sense of humor?

Morbo
Member # 5309

another nagging Noobie crawls out of the woodwork [Roll Eyes] [Mad] [Eek!] [Angst] [Sleep] [Wall Bash]

[ October 11, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

NooB
Member # 5797

- posted      Profile for NooB   Email NooB         Edit/Delete Post 
At least I don't claim to be something I'm not! Perceptive, my butt!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagaer
Member # 5796

- posted      Profile for Nagaer   Email Nagaer         Edit/Delete Post 
listen, morbo. you are not perceptive. i have been lurking on the forum for 5 years. i've been here longer than you. and i'm friends with cedrios, so nyah.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NooB
Member # 5797

I got you beat! I know Pat!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obrom
Member # 5793

- posted      Profile for Obrom           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, for real. Morbo is about as quick as a snail stuck in molasses. [Laugh]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, this has nothing to do with you individually. This has to do with a joke that has long ago past being funny and has reached the point where it is hurting the forum - to the point where people may start leaving because of it (not me but I have heard it mentioned).

It is also part of a larger issue....

There is a theory about this forum being cyclical. We go from serious discussions to more light-hearted threads and back to serious again. I think it is a correct theory to an extent, but I also think there has been a trend here across the cycles. In general, the periods of so-called 'fluff' have been increasingly long, and the periods of seriousness have become increasingly short. At the same time there are an increasing number of people who only post in the 'fluff' threads and never in the 'serious' threads. I do not believe this is a cycle anymore... it is a trend across the cycles.

It has gotten to the point where some people coming here, some who have arrived during cycles of particularly high levels of joke or game or just plain fluff threads, think that that is what Hatrack is all about. It isn't, or at least it wasn't. It originally meant something more to be a Jatraquero than that.

The problem is that when discussing serious matters such as American culture, politics, or whatever becomes a mere side-show, the quality of those threads goes down. Increasingly, I've noticed (and others have too I think) that people on serious threads are less dedicated to trying to understand other viewpoints and more quick to anger when people question their view. The threads have become more aggressive and more combatative. And people have become increasingly afraid to take part of them because of that, resulting in a sort of feed-back effect. Fewer Jatraqueros are decidicated to it.

Why is this a problem?

Well, it isn't if you really are only here to participate in dobie threads or whatever. But I'm under the impression that we, as a community are about more than that. I know I am, and I'm definitely self-interested enough that that will motivate me to complain. [Wink]

What does this have to do with Dobies?

I look at it this way. I like so-called fluff threads too. I like my silly fun and games as much as the next guy - probably more so as anybody who goes in the chatroom can testify. But Dobies don't even really fit into that category. A link to a random page on dogs is not really that fun - and I think this is a fairly objective appraisal. If it weren't for the title, nobody would have bothered posting it. And when you have five or six of these threads on the front page, they push away other threads that people (people like me!) may have posted seriously hoping for some responses. If you've ever posted something seriously looking for responses and come back only to find it on the second page with little to no response, you can understand why this is a problem for serious posting on Hatrack.

If you really like dobies, I do have a solution... Next time you want to do a dobie, think of something really worthwhile to post about along with the funny title, so you aren't just adding another random thread. And, no, you don't have to come asking me what is worthwhile and what isn't. I am absolutely certain you know what is worthwhile. To make it simple, something is worthwhile if you actually care about sharing it with us. If you are just looking for any link that fits the title you want to put up, then it's probably not really a worthwhile topic and you know it.

[END RANT, for now]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obrom
Member # 5793

- posted      Profile for Obrom           Edit/Delete Post 
And about as perceptive as Stevie Wonder in a coma.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NooB
Member # 5797

quote:
I am absolutely certain you know what is worthwhile.
Wait just a minute! Is Tres actually calling Morbo PERCEPTIVE?!?!?
Morbo
Member # 5309

Why not? Thank you Tres. You I like ---it's xappy that's getting on my nerves. And everybody else except for Bok on this thread.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but what's a dobie?

~Black Mage
Hadoken!

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

A dobie is making fun of a thread title with a clever or funny twist, and adding a linkthat explains it on the 0th post. I love practical jokes but many have no sense of humor about them. Like Xappy and these new naggy noobies. Probably just old forum members too chicken to use thier new alias.
. [No No] [Mad] [No No] [Frown]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

A Dobie is a magical fairy that flies over the forum and craps out special threads for all the boys and girls.
NooB
Member # 5797

A fairy that craps a lot is a goblin, duh! Please try to be more specific when referring to The People.
teppum citsacras
Member # 5798

- posted      Profile for teppum citsacras           Edit/Delete Post 
you've got it backwards. A Fairy has advanced dysentery. It is actually a Goblin that has crapped way too much.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NooB
Member # 5797

No, no, no! "Fairy" is the general term for the more specific Goblins, Sprites, Leprechauns, and Elves. Goblins are tunneling fairies with very advanced metabolic systems, hence the crap.
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
whats a dobie

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

never mind thank you morbo

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I agree with tresopax

too many serious threads are degraded by jokes

[Hat]

NooB
Member # 5797

Like this one?
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to think how dobies help me and all that comes out are childish songs like...

...my dobie and me
we like to climb up a tree
my dobie and me
we're the beeeeeeest friends that can beeeeeeeeee!
my dobie (my dobie)
my dobie (my dobie) -
my dobie and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

...my dobie has a first name, it's o-s-c-a-r.
my dobie has a second name, it's m-e-y-e-r...

so I guess you could say that dobies help the inner child in me. [Wink]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Topping this for no special reason, 'cept I was feeling nostalgic and found my first post.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.