FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Pianist.

Author Topic: The Pianist.
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else think that there's a strange re-occuring theme of potatoes in this film. All my friends see it too.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Care to elaborate? I saw The Pianist and I don't remember anything about potatoes.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that movie takes place in Australia, which as everyone knows, is entirely peopled with criminals, and most criminals are Irish, and all the Irish know to grow or cook is the common potato, which while exiguous ....

Oh, did you say The Pianist? I thought you meant The Piano.

Never mind. [Blushing]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's strange; it's a cheap food.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't potatoes count as a "theme". Any more than Swatikas, guns, or dirt count as a "theme" in in movie about a Polish ghetto.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thrilled when I saw this thread, since I thought people were discussing this amazing movie. Well, I wasn't expecting potato talk.

In response, its really not that unusual, since potatos are just about the cheapest food on earth per nutritional value. When food is extremely scarce, or when you need to keep your slave labor force alive on the cheap, potatos are your answer.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What about apples in LOTR, while we're talking about fruit?

I haven't seen The Pianist, but perhaps they had an abundance of potatoes and decided to use them over and over?

I like to squash symbolism. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I only remember one cameo by apples in LOTR.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you say The Pianist real fast, it sounds like... Well.... You know... [Blushing]

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
So you're, what, five? [Taunt]
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to fear for Hatrack's future.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Look what we have to resort to when you're not around.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] The only reason I think of that is because my friend worked at a movie theater while that movie was playing, and she told me a ton of stories...

Yeah. I'm five. -_-;;;;

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

At least you don't crack up every time you use the word "Djibouti."
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Djibouti.
[ROFL]

Proteus
Member # 794

Seriously. Its all Adrien Brody seemed to eat in that film. Apart from the poignant scene with the tinned marrow. The guns were smuggled in potato sacks, all his family could get to eat before the relocation were potatoes. Whilst searching the hospital all he finds is a potato.

Maybe it seemed more pronounced at the time but by the end we were able to guess the next appearance of every humble potato in that film.

Though i guess more seriously i'll have to agree with Xavier's point.

quote:
In response, its really not that unusual, since potatos are just about the cheapest food on earth per nutritional value. When food is extremely scarce, or when you need to keep your slave labor force alive on the cheap, potatos are your answer.
So what did you think of the film? I thought it had a strong beginning and had poignant performances throughout but at times was overlong. I can see why it won awards but i would never reccommend someone buy it until they had seen it first. Harrowing, moving but ultimately lost its direction and momentum.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as much as I liked it, it really did kind of putter out. Its not really suprising, since it was based on a true story. The time period where he was a captive were obviously going to be the most interesting.

The thing that left the biggest mark on me was the gradual shift in steps from slight persecution to eventual extermination. I always wondered how the Nazis where able to do what they did, but I could see from the movie how the people had their humanity stripped piece by piece.

When I rented it I didn't know it was about the Holocaust oddly enough. It was one of those movies that I was glad to go into it with no preconceptions. It definitly is not an easy movie to watch.

Its also one of the only movies in existance where not every Nazi is evil. I've always felt that one of the worst parts about WWII was that otherwise good people were led to do evil by their society and government. People condemn the german soldiers as if they were demons, but if they were young german men at the time, they would have been fighting right along side them.

Its also one of first times I was exposed to the revolt in the Jewish getto, and the uprising of the Poles themselves. I had heard stories, but it was good to see them on film. Also the regular people who helped the main character were inspiring. I especially liked the beautiful blond woman who the protagonist has a thing for.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

It did have that great shift in feel momentum throughout. Especially once his family went off to the concentration camp. Though the Jewish Police - Nazi collaborater guy could have had a larger part i felt. The German Commandant at the end seemed a little like a synthetic injection but i suppose if you stick so close to the truth you don't want to do things just because they're dramatic. It was a shame that you didn't see his old 'love' - the one he had a thing for - being arrested, it just made it seem unreal to me and i expected them to meet later. I also got confused when he met his old friends wife as i thought it was her and took me a while to click. Though the gradual dehumanisation of his character and eventual reclaiming of his life was inspired and well acted.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.