FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something is missing

Author Topic: Something is missing
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC article on yesterday's twin separations.
quote:
The family of two-year-old conjoined twins have been celebrating a successful operation to separate them.
Surgeons worked for over 30 hours to divide the heads of Mohamed and Ahmed Ibrahim from Egypt, teasing apart a complex network of blood vessels.

"When somebody came up and said 'We have two boys', the father Ibrahim jumped to my neck and he hugged me and he fainted," said the twins' Egyptian doctor Nasser Abdelal.

Can you spot what's missing?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
...the rest of the article?
erm...well, the jumping to the neck part is phrased weirdly.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, the rest of the article is about the other separation, the one in Italy; and about twin separations in general.

Nowhere in the article does it mention WHERE this first separation occurred. Or the organizations that paid for it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange. The article I read about it mentioned both those things.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

An article not by the BBC, I assume?

Something more like this?

Can we say bias?

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, it was performed in Texas, and paid for by an organization which gets most of its funds from donations from Americans.

[Edit: Well, FINE, delete your post and make me look like I'm talking to myself! [Roll Eyes] ]

[ October 14, 2003, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rivka! I guessed Tel Aviv and looked stupid so I deleted. I throw myself on the mercy of the thread author. [Wink]
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Linked from the same page:
"...twins...are undergoing the risky separation procedure in the US"
"Children's Medical Center Conjoined Twins Separation"

[ October 14, 2003, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Mormo, LOL. *extends scepter* [Big Grin]

True enough, aspectre. But note that when it comes to the Italian separation, they put those details IN THE ACTUAL ARTICLE.

The BBC's coverage is often biased; but they are rarely this blatant.

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, someone on BBC must have noticed what was missing too. Because now they have almost the same article with the fact that the operation was performed by US surgeons prominently mentioned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3188734.stm

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks for the link, Tristan! I wonder how many emails they got about the earlier version.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh-- on CNN yesterday, they were reporting that the operation was being paid for by the Kuwaiti government.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, the World Craniofacial Foundation paid to bring the twins to Dallas. And:

quote:
Doctors and nurses contributed their time and local charities raised a 125,000 dollar payment to Children's Medical Center for use of its facilities.

(from the AFP article)
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to this comment for some reason or another...

quote:
"The mother on the other hand was crying like everybody else. She was there thanking everybody around and thanking her faith that brought her to this great place — Dallas, Texas."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031013/ap_on_he_me/egyptian_twins_41

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.