FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » always a critic

Author Topic: always a critic
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know much about anything, but i like to pretend that i know a good movie when i see one. i read OSC's review of school of rock and was surprised at how much he disliked the movie, mainly because of jack black. to each his own, of course. my point is am i the only one who thought it was a surprisingly good movie, jack black and all?
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess everyone has someone in the media who gets on their nerves. Their perogative. But personally, I like Jack Black. He reminds me a lot of John Belushi, in that he's mostly a comedian, but sometimes he can really surprise with a moment of genuine sentiment without being saccharine sweet.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
We've all decided that Orson Scott Card's Opinions about movies, usually don't reflect what the rest of the world thinks. He tends to have... strange taste if you will.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree about the movie - I loved the movie - but I completely agree with his horror at the one child's characterization. 10 years old is way to young to be defined by sexuality, even as a joke. That was kind of creepy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen School of Rock but I have to say that OSC and I agree have agreed on about 5 movies total. Not that he thinks of it that way... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

i'm not a hardcore jack black fan. when my friends have tenacious d singalongs, i just nod, smile and laugh when it seems appropriate. i've seen a bunch of the movies that he's been in, and he strikes me as a spastic adam sandler. he's all about the laughs, but underneath it all, he's got some morals.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

i agree that OSC has some intersting taste, and my main issue is with the way he presents his opinions. i have agreed with him on more than 5 movies, though, and since he likes adam sandler so much, i thought he might see the similarity between sandler and black. oh well. as far as the "gay" kid, i can see where that might be out of line, and i would definitely hesitate to let a kid under ten see the film. i'm afraid to elaborate on my position there for fear of opening an unnecessary can of worms. bottom line, i was really impressed with the movie, but maybe my expectations were lower than i thought.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.