FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Either someone hasn't made a thread already...

Author Topic: Either someone hasn't made a thread already...
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
...or people didn't already know, since a search of the page for "China" and "Launch" didn't give me anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/14/china.launch/index.html

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I read about that while at work today.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
21 Hours... 14 orbits, land in the Gobi.

GO CHINA!

--The Cap'n.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow COOL [Big Grin]

Thanks Captain!

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
^__^ WOW!!! That's really cool!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad China didn't spend the money this took for their people's needs instead. Yet, I must admit, a wave of patriotism couldn't be bad for a country either.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy about this mostly because I think it would be great for America to have a competitor in space innovation. Russia isn't doing the job right now.

Granted China is about 40 years behind, but hopefully they catch up quickly. Heck, they stole all our nuclear secrets, why not steal our non-military technology too?

Then we'll have another communist empire to compete with, giving us a reason to do cool things like go to Mars.

I was hoping that Japan would also get a competing program, any leads on whether they are?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and having another powerful communist country with advanced weapons technology taking over in the 'space - race' (or is it the Mars race nowadays) would always be a good idea!
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The more money they spend launching shuttles, the less they spend on bombs.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.

We never would have gone to the moon without the Soviet Union, and we'll never go to Mars without the fear of another country doing it first, especially the fear of another comunist country doing it first.

We got so much out of the Apollo missions in terms of new technology and innovations, I'd imagine we'd be 20 years behind where we are now without it. Imagine what new stuff would come out of a Mars race.

Plus, the sooner we get humanity off this rock the better. Right now the survival of the entire species, perhaps the entire population of sentient lifeforms in the universe, is resting on one planet. This makes us vulnerable to extinction from dozens of different sources.

And China could effectively wipe out the United States right now (or at least come close), so what would it matter if they could also do it from space?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

I think it's the idea of bombs in space that worries me.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

Sorry, you posted faster than me. But point taken. Progress is good. As long as they don't bomb the UK [Evil Laugh]
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Hong Kong is in commie hands, I don't think the UK has much to worry about. The US on the other hand, does. But only if it interveins to stongly on behalf of Taiwan.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that the planet could be destroyed at minute to make way for the hyperspatial express route through the outlying regions of our galaxy. [Razz]
so I agree the sooner we get to Mars the better.
does everyone have their towel?

[Taunt] [Taunt] [Taunt]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.