FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Want to write a novel? Really quickly?

Author Topic: New column: Want to write a novel? Really quickly?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to write a novel? Really quickly?
"If, over the next few weeks, you see someone sitting in a coffee shop staring at nothing and muttering about how to get rid of a body or what would happen if cats could time-travel by sneezing, do not be alarmed. It's novel-writing time again."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I want to reiterate something: you are considerably funnier than Dave Barry, nowadays. (I'll reserve judgement on whether you're funnier than Barry USED to be.) You're a GREAT deal funnier than that Eric Snyder guy OSC liked -- and presumably wouldn't do anything to get yourself fired, unlike Snyder.

If you do not make more noise about getting yourself syndicated, I shall have no choice but to kick you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to add my voice to TomD's here Chris. As a relative newcomer to these here parts I have just recently been introduced to your column. I now find myself looking forward to it each week.

Again, I thank you for sharing.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'm hoping (cross appendages) to do a series for the print side on my progress during NaNo, and the successes and failures of other local writers. Ideally a weekly thing, but we'll see what they offer me.
Because, you know, just writing 50,000 words in a month isn't nearly enough pressure [Smile]

I don't foresee any problems with getting fired (besides, I'm a webmaster who writes columns, the worst that would happen is I couldn't write the columns anymore). If I write about anything that would be a conflict of interest or dangerously controversial, I'll just post it here instead.

Should also point out that, now that I write a humor column every week, I have much more respect for Dave Barry. He's been doing this for how many years? And still finds things to write about? Even if one in three is hilarious, that's a better batting average than a lot of the other columnists I read. Even if I do suspect he's saving all his best stuff for his books...

Nearly related note: Carl Hiaasen is coming to talk at a college near me Oct. 29. Woo hoo!

[ October 15, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you are awesome!

[ROFL] AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Question of the day, how many people will dump the aforementioned article into their Nov Novel?

And you are making your novel, alla Dave Barry, a "Best of my articles" story, right?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-- Ninjas, ninjas, ninjas.
All right, Chris. Keep on preachin' the good word. ^_^
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
And you are making your novel, alla Dave Barry, a "Best of my articles" story, right?
Nope, all the words in the novel have to be written after Nov. 1st.
Of course, I could always include a columnist in my novel. Hmmm, my columns average 650 words, there'll be four that month, that makes...

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

BTW TomD -- I still plan on hooking up with you folks in November. Just don't be surprised if I bring my Palm Pilot and keyboard along and I look like I'm trying to memorize conversations.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that for my attempt at NaNoWriMo, I'd write a ficticious online Mafia game that ends in a real life reunion where someone dies. [Big Grin]

Great article, Chris!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Great one, Chris! [Big Grin]

Bah, 50,000 words in a month is no sweat. I'm tempted to try and pop one out. Anyone else for the Hatrack Month of Novel Mayhem?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Could do one about a hatracker who becomes unable to communicate any other way. Family and friends have to register to talk to her, arguments and requests to pass the salt, that kind of thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.