FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This guy is a real sweetheart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This guy is a real sweetheart
Bugger #1
Member # 5760

- posted      Profile for Bugger #1   Email Bugger #1         Edit/Delete Post 
He makes me sick.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Phelps is a drunk.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Robespierre ]

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
people like him are the reason i avoid the news.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow.

Er, or rather, unholy cow.

[Frown]

That guy's really disgusting. His words condemn him over and over as not being in line with the gospel he professes to preach.

"God hates fags" indeed.

I wonder how he feels about hypocrites. And sanctimonious bastards.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems Phelps has Issues. In my opinion, people should take the advice in the URL and just stop reacting.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Let him put it up, all it will do is waste 15,000 dollars of this idiot's money.

People will deface and possibly destroy the stupid thing almost immediately, and it won't change anyone's mind on the subject. If anything it will backlash against this fool's agenda.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Phelps and his gang picketed a church near here a few years ago. I thought the church handled it very well – they asked people please NOT to show up to counter-protest, but to come after he left and help scrub the street where he’d been.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how he'd feel about my foot up his.... [Grumble]

That's just... I hate that that's newsworthy. If everyone ignored him, he'd get discouraged and go away, the big bully.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Far be it from me to promote vandalism, but anyone want to take bets on how long it would be before someone decided to "improve" such a statue?

Or perhaps another group could put up their own monument to Phelps. I'm thinking that the verse about "whitewashed tombs" would do nicely.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the fact that he had the gall to protest the funeral. Gah! I mean, supposedly, he got his way, right? The "f-- got what he deserved", didn't he? Why couldn't he just leave the family alone?

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Sometimes I hate people.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's people like him that make it so hard to be a Christian. I know that most people realize that guys like Phelps are nutcases, not at all representative of Christianity, but I'm still ashamed to be sharing a religion with him. Heck, I'm ashamed to share a species with him.

Why can't people like him just go away and let the rest of us love others as Jesus intended? [Cry]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been aware of this person and his so-called "ministry" for a long time. The thing I can't understand is, how can anyone have that much hate in them? He goes out there and specifically tries to be mean and hateful and hurtful, and calls it doing God's work.

Well, he ain't doing the work of any God I believe in.

Edit to correct stupid spelling.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness to Phelps, it does say in the bible that god detests homosexuals. I quote exactly.

So if the bible says it, it must be true right? Think about it.

edit: mind you, thats the new literary translation, which leaves no room for metaphors.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And all this time, I thought the Old Testament was in Hebrew.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

I don't think the issue right now is whether or not homosexuality is moral (unless, of course, you succeed in turning that into the issue), but rather the way this guy promotes that agenda. We have quite a few hatrackers who passionately believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I suspect--I believe--that they would condemn this man's actions as well, at least insofar as he claims awareness of the status of a person's soul, and his turning a family's mourning into a carnival of hate.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
but rather the way this guy promotes that agenda
But what a better way to raise awarness than what he is doing now, marching at the funeral, that will make people notice.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We aren't allowed to say who goes to hell. That's god's job.

Or so I've been told.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurenz0, awareness of what? Vicious hate? His absolute lack of love or kindness or even simple courtesy?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Vicious hate of sinners, you have to understand that. Its okay because they are sinners.
rivka
Member # 4859

NO.

Vicious hate has NO place. It blinds, it says "The ends justify the means."

Hate should be of sin, not sinners, in any case.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Are you playing devil's advocate?
Xavier
Member # 405

Please tell me you are joking.

If not, then you scare me.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're going to hate everyone who sins, I really think you should start with yourself.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
Are you playing devil's advocate?
Not quite, I'm actually going somwhere with this. See, while all you seem to hate the man and think its wrong absoloutly no questions, which actually goes against one of your philosophies, hate the sin not the sinner.

This man is like any other crusader, he is fighting very hard for something he belives in and won't stop at anything. You could compare him to martin luther king. Just think about it.

Everything this man has been born and raised with tells him that being gay is a horrible sin. And look, he sees it rising up all around him. And he is trying to do everything in his power to rid the world of a great evil.

mackillian
Member # 586

Pfft. I never said I hated the man. He just isn't one of my favorite people. [Wink]
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Yes. She's trolling. I actually don't mean that in the "evil" sort of way that Cedrios has done it, but she's clearly trying to get a rise, perhaps to make the debate more interesting.

-o-

Where does that statement come from, that God loves the sinner but hates the sin? That would seem to imply to me that it's not OK to hate just because "they" are sinners.

Worst case, they are unrepentant of their sin of homosexuality. Clearly, he is unrepentant of his own sins of hatred, pride, and self-righteousness. I do remember where Jesus said people should take the log out of their own eye before they concerned themselves with the splinter in somebody else's.

Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Whoops, forgot to get to where I was going.
I see this man as misguided. But he would see me the same way. I just feel sad that there is so much hatred in the world. And nothing we can do about it.

[ October 16, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have quite a few hatrackers who passionately believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I suspect--I believe--that they would condemn this man's actions as well
Bingo. At least for me. I believe that homosexual intimacy is sinful, but persecution is persecution, and it SHOULD NOT STAND! I find it revolting.

The way I see it is, love the sinners, hate their sins. Don't hate the sinners.

Homosexual persecution is one of the biggest hypocrisies that I know of today, especially if the persecutors claim to be Christians.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
She
She?

*feels groin area*

whew, scared me for a second.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

[Confused] Did the she apply to me, because I wasn't trolling, I was just commenting on what Laurenzo had just said. [Confused]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Being disgusted by somebody's actions is not the same as hating the person. If I knew him, I probably would be guilty of hatred, but at my distance I can be more coldly analytical.

Comparing him to King is specious in the extreme. I'd like to see you justify that comparison with something less nebulous than "they both fought for something they believed in," and get into specifics of how they attempted to achieve their means.

mackillian
Member # 586

Icky, AIM. *glare*
Xavier
Member # 405

While I can't claim to hate this man personally, I do hate his actions, the idea of him, and everything that he represents.

And I'm not Christian, so I can hate whoever I want [Razz] .

Megachirops
Member # 4325

I was referring to Laurenzo. My apologies for the gender confusion. Something in one of his earliest posts here made me think he was a she.
fiazko
Member # 5812

i'm with nick and laurenz0. i think a good portion of th world's conflict comes from people refusing to see any way other than their own. believing that someone is wrong is no grounds for condemning them. it's their actions and/or beliefs that should be disputed. imagine how much more peaceful the world would be if people would just agree to disagree.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
but he's commiting the same crime of hating the sinners. He's attacking the people, not the sin
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
We aren't allowed to say who goes to hell. That's god's job.

Or so I've been told.

Agreed. [Smile]

He who is without sin, cast the first stone. Not an exact quote, but good enough to get my point across.

[ October 16, 2003, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
but he's commiting the same crime of hating the sinners. He's attacking the people, not the sin

Its my turn to agree (and I don't like to agree)
Yes, your right. But I was just pointing out why he is doing it. And you can really make him sound quite noble (however you spell it). Its just sad that people think like this.

mackillian
Member # 586

I don't need stones!

I have my stick! [Big Grin]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
i'm with nick and laurenz0.
I get the sense that we're all actually in agreement on that one.

(Hence my statement.)

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I don't need stones!

I have my stick! [Big Grin]

*takes away mack's stick*
*gives her nun-chucks instead*
[ROFL]

jk [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

fiazko, how can you agree with both Laurenz0 and Nick? There doesn't seem to be much overlap in their positions.

Don't even think it! *glares*

[Edit: Wait, wait, missed a post! Nevermind.]

[ October 16, 2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
He who is without sin, cast the first stone.
Well, I was raised Catholic.

In our gospel, Mary showed up and beat the snot out of the woman.

Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
I get the sense that we're all actually in agreement on that one.

yeah, it seems to go that way on this site. We need to get some people with completely differant value systems in here.
rivka
Member # 4859

You know, Laurenz0, some people consider reaching agreement a good thing.

Not something to try to prevent or bemoan.

fiazko
Member # 5812

quote:
See, while all you seem to hate the man and think its wrong absoloutly no questions, which actually goes against one of your philosophies, hate the sin not the sinner.

This man is like any other crusader, he is fighting very hard for something he belives in and won't stop at anything. You could compare him to martin luther king. Just think about it.

Everything this man has been born and raised with tells him that being gay is a horrible sin. And look, he sees it rising up all around him. And he is trying to do everything in his power to rid the world of a great evil.

i agree with laurenzo in that i condemn the guy's actions, not the guy himself. everyone has just as much right to their own beliefs as they do to their own opinions. i think that where the right stops is with inflicting those beliefs/opinions on other people. no one is the ultimate authority on anything and to behave as such is against everyone else's rights.

quote:
The way I see it is, love the sinners, hate their sins. Don't hate the sinners.

again, condemn the guy's actions, not the guy himself. they may not be saying the same thing, but they're on the same side, and thus far, that's the side i'm on. not that this is a war anyway.
fiazko
Member # 5812

ok, rivka. didn't get your edit before i posted.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Do people think he has First Amendment rights to do this?
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to love Leviticus. I figure they could hold the stonings right after these people appear on Jerry Springer:

20:9 Any person who curses his father or mother shall therefore be put to death. Since he has cursed his father or mother, he shall be stoned to death.

20:10 If a man commits adultery with a married woman, [and] she is the wife of a fellow [Israelite], both the adulterer and adulteress shall be put to death.

20:12 If a man has intercourse with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall be put to death. Since they have committed an utterly detestable perversion, they shall be stoned to death.

20:11 If a man has intercourse with his father's wife, he has committed a sexual offense against his father. Therefore, both of them shall be put to death by stoning. Any man or woman who is involved in [the practices of] the mediums or oracles shall be put to death. They shall be pelted to death with stones, and thus stoned to death.

20:27 Any man or woman who is involved in [the practices of] the mediums or oracles shall be put to death. They shall be pelted to death with stones, and thus stoned to death.

_______

I never did like football.

Leviticus 5:2 Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether [it be] a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and [if] it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

20:99 Any man who interferes with the catch of any kind of pop-up ball in a championship series shall be put to death. Since he has cursed his team, he shall be pelted with beer and garbage.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.