FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Low Performing Students (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Low Performing Students
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry- I'm new! I've been following this thread for a few days now and I just have to jump in and make a few comments.

First- I am a teacher and a graduate student in education. I teach Family & Consumer Sciences aka Home Ec in an inner-city school. I'm the career prep coordinator so I place students in programs to gain training for careers while in high school. One-fourth of my girls are teen parents/pregnant and every single student that I have is considered "low-performing" and "at-risk"

As a teacher who teaches students who are targeted to continue their education through trade schools or alternative forms of education, I agree that there is a stigma attached. Not only that but there is a stigma attached to teaching trades vs teaching core subjects. However, it is necessary that people (parents, other educators, the general public) recognize that this is a viable form of continued education. One point that I try to impress upon my students is that it doesn't really matter what type of education you receive after high school. It matters that you continue your education.

To the subject of low performing students- oh if every teacher could make a wish list of all that he/she thinks would make the perfect class and we could receive it. However, in reality, it's not going to happen as long as public education exists. Reform may happen, but it will be slow so I have to agree that every teacher has the responsibility to do their best and ensure that all children receive the opportunity to learn.

Unfortunately- at least in my school- some students don't want to be at school. I think that we can do something about that. Students need to feel like someone cares about what they do and if their parents are working so hard to provide shelter and food that other needs seem forgotten then that responsibilty will lie with the other adult role models in their life. The only adults most children have contact with on a daily basis other than parents are teachers.

Face it- teachers are important. We can't shove this responsibility on the community, church, extended family. If the ball's being dropped then pick it up. CHange what's happening. I realize that every teacher can't change the life of every child- but there are MANY "low performing students" in my school who have exceeded the expectations of teachers/principals/parole officers/etc. because a couple of teachers decided to design their instruction to meet the needs of their classes.

It comes down to this. Good teachers can help most students succeed. It requires training and experience. A first year teacher is trying to survive, not assist students in achieving. It's essential that teachers are trained and retained.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautifully said, Coccinelle!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.