FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you do to let off steam?

Author Topic: What do you do to let off steam?
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I often feel like fighting someone, that would be extremely unproductive and dangerous to my health.

Hence, I'll usually do something like play my drumset or lift some weights. Running works too.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I bellydance around my kitchen to really loud Aerosmith and U2 dance remixes.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I turn huge and green, and all my clothes get ripped asunder by the rapidly growing, bulging muscles that nobody knew I had. Then I usually go on massive rampages that leave entire city blocks in devastated ruins. It's really quite cathartic.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat the walls and throw shoes. Then feel bad and call Molly.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I grab a baseball bat and beat the brains out of that good for something tree in the back yard.

Of course, whenever I tell people that I go in my back yard and whack a tree with a bat, they HAVE to take it out of context.

And then I come back in the house, drown my woes with a coke, and fall on the couch and talk to God.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
I normally play Racquetball. On those rare occasions where that isn't even enough to start, I'll disappear from civilization for a few days. And I mean completely disappear (no phones, no one know exactly where I am, etc.) It's great, when you come back and act like everything is normal, it tends to throw people off their stride.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Post here.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Weights, loud, fast heavy metal, or a little time kicking butt in Unreal Tournament (original or 2003). All work well for me.

Edit: Spellmonkey

[ October 18, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I vent in my LiveJournal and on AIM.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting pool works - I just imagine that the balls are the heads of the person or persons I am ticked off at. [Smile]

I used to take long walks, but that's hard now with my arthritic knees and hips. Also, it's not really safe to do that around here any more - we've got gangs. [Frown]

And, if all else fails, I take a long drive alone in the country, put some really loud and obnoxious music on the CD player, and scream at the top of my lungs. Talk about cathartic.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I vent in xnera's livejournal too.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry. Alot. I think I have overdeveloped tear glands or something.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to burn things. I also listen to a lot of Evanescnece, Audioslave, Cold, Disturbed, and Ramones, often times these are mixed. But when there is nothing to burn, I attack my punching bag, or I practice my kendo drills, on watermelons and such.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I get about 60 upgraded zerglings and overrun the enemy base. It's fun.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Until recently, I did this.

Now I tend to do this.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
To let off steam, it's all about a WALK...and major alone time. Sleeping also works wonders.

To cheer myself up/blow off steam, it has to be listening to Weird Al's "Running With Scissors" album. I can still remember how many a day when I was home alone in Logan, I would come home, turn that album WAY up and dance sillily all over the place whilst singing all the lyrics quite loudly. Luckily, I was never caught doing this.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the type of steam. Getting stoned always helps, as does reading the Bible and praying. Alcohol can help in certain situations, but not all, or even most. Reading speculative fiction is also a general panacea- better than chemicals while I read it, but after the experience is over it tends to fade far more quickly.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just squeeze my rage into a bitter little ball, and release it at an appropriate time. Like that time I hit the referee with a whiskey bottle. [Wink]

Sometimes I go to the range or for a drive in the country.

Cigarettes used to calm me right down before I went and quit.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm really upset or angry, I'll do something that channels it in a better way. Like draw a picture using my emotion, which is what I do lately. I don't get upset very often. I do enjoy complaining to people on Hatrack about my problems. And to my friends. And strangers I meet on the bus... Yeah. I'm a big whiner.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Onanis-...oops, I mean working out, taking walks, talking with friends, playing video games, reading escapist fiction and writing.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Dancing and doodling [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I play the piano, I can concentrate on the keys and the music and tune out anything else that is going on around me.

Failing that, I sit I my room and rant to myself.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
i seethe until i can get ahold of the appropriate person to vent to, and when i feel better i have a cookie.

"If everyone ate a cookie a day, there'd be no more murder."--anon.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie said:

quote:

I vent in xnera's livejournal too.

More people should vent in my LiveJournal. It could be a whole big venting party.

[ October 19, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I throw ripe tomatoes at nicely dressed people who look like they might be just about to go to dinner. . . of course, I do this to celebrate too. . .

Which means I'm either torked all the time, or just one happy, crazy guy. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I USED to play loud electric guitar, but my amp is still back in Hawaii so I'm outta luck until mi madre mails it to me. Alas.

Other methods of letting off steam:

1. Rant on my Xanga page.

2. Draw/paint/do artsy things.

3. Visit the hug thread. [Big Grin]

4. Sleep.

5. Read. Anything.

6. Run. Run. Run. Run s'more.

7. (MOST importantly!) Talk to my friends/family.

I also do these things when depressed.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to talk to my roommate. She always knows what to say to make me feel better, and listens patiently until I'm totally finished with my story/vent, except to ask questions when I don't explain things well. I also talk to my boyfriend, he calms me down nicely.

And I listen to music. Anything. It changes my mood instantly. I think it might be my Irish/Scottish blood... [Wink]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
--Swim
--Take very long showers
--Drink excessive amounts of water (like, 9 liters in one day excessive)
--go to a playground and either swing or find somewhere to sit and watch the children play
--cook something simple but good, like a rather bland soup
--write about it
--write stories with lots of death and destruction, usually (but not always) involving who/whatever I'm mad at. It's particularly satisfying if I can turn it in for a school assignment.
--walk along the bayou
--walk in the rain
--walk in the rain along the bayou
--walk around campus, at night, and go to the amphitheater and look at the stars and write
--vent about it to my friend Rachel
--vent about it to my friend Katherine over e-mail or AIM
--be goofy with my roommate Emily
--get a hug from one of my three special hug-givers . . . none of whom are anywhere near me anymore [Frown]
--chase squirrels
--scream
--throw harmless things (like rocks and acorns) at the ground
--sing loudly and badly in the car by myself

[ October 19, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, if all else fails, I take a long drive alone in the country, put some really loud and obnoxious music on the CD player, and scream at the top of my lungs. Talk about cathartic.
Heh. I do this too!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Push-ups, sit-ups, weights, or some other kind of exercise. Jogging and running just seem to fuel my anger, though, so I don't do those.

And if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just play some shoot-em-up video game.

And if the above two fail, I'll turn on South Park or The Simpsons or Ren and Stimpy or SNL or HomestarRunner(.com) or some other kind of hilarious show or cartoon, and laugh hard (sometimes even murderously if I'm mad enough) at them.

[ October 19, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
XBOX always calms me down, but then again, I just lift weights or punch my punching bag. I prefer not to use the punching bag because it's my favorite way to let off steam, so if I become dependent on punching something with a punching bag around. . . Yeah, that's not good. [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Take it back, I'm with Ophelia, swimming laps always helps me calm down.

Ah, the days of competitive swimming and water polo...
[Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just squeeze my rage into a bitter little ball, and release it at an appropriate time. Like that time I hit the referee with a whiskey bottle.
I knew I liked you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I rip paper. Seriously. It's very comforting. I love the sound, too.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
A combination of FPS gaming and loud music (right now, Halo and Max Payne 2) - though sometimes I sit down with my guitar and play whatever I feel like playing until me wrists hurt.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Halo....
*drools*
*Counts money*

I don't have enough to buy Halo. I just got XBOX on Saturday and I havent' bought a game besides the games it came with. (Clone worlds and Tetris Worlds)

Tetris has been keeping me busy, but I beat Clone Wars in one day. [Smile]

Video games are great for disconnecting yourself from the rest of the world. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.