FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *meep!* Already?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *meep!* Already?!
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[note: apologies for the saccarine level. tred carefully if you're diabetic.]

Relationships are a tricky thing (if you know where this is going, bonus points!). I just thought I'd let you Jatraqueros know about my relationship with Bernard.

The two of us met at Presidential Classroom (Jeni, you're beloved!), in a book signing line. I wasn't even talking to him--he turned around and talked to me. That was on Sunday, and for the rest of the week, we hung out whenever we could--I was in Caucas 2, he was in Caucas 4. On Friday (everyone left on Saturday) they put on a dance for us... Bernard and I didn't dance. We sat in the back and talked for what seemed like hours.

Finally, we had to go upstairs to sleep. The two of us were somewhat reluctant to part (we were both too shy to say anything to one another), but fate stepped in at 4:45 in the morning in the form of a fire alarm. The two of us sat up in the halls (as opposite sexes weren't allowed in rooms), and when my bus left for the airport home, Bernard came down to see me off, and he kissed me on the cheek.

I didn't think it was possible, but that single kiss threw me into more of a tailspin than anything that had ever happened to me. I fretted for weeks over what that kiss meant. My best friend A (now my roommate in college), calmed me as best she could, but to no avail. Bernard and I were excanging emails and IMing one another, and he was sending complete mixed signals. Sometimes blant flirting. However, I sometimes tease my guy friends to what looks like flirting to the untrained eye. I had no idea if this relationship was the same.

On February 4 (and I only remember the date because I printed it out), I got an email from Bernard in which he told me that he loved me. I'm still walking on air from it. At that time, he lived in Oregon and I in Louisiana, so our long-distance relationship consisted of lots and lots of emails and IMs and the very occassional phone call. I told my parents that we were dating in April, and they allowed me one phone call a week.

During this summer, Bernard began attending Beloit college, for their summer CLS program (the man's a masochist, I swear: he took a year's worth of Mandarin in the span of nine WEEKS). It was sad, we were estatic about being in the same time zone. We both got our own cells, with free minutes after nine so we could talk almost all night if we wanted.

CLS was a lifesaver: There was a week's break between the end of CLS and the beginning of school for him. He managed to secure a plane ticket, and my parents (God love them) allowed for a boy they had never met to stay for a week in their house, on the grounds that if I trusted him then he must be a good person. That week was... Amazing. There's no other way to describe it. My boyfriend, the one person that I loved above all, was with me. During that one week we became so close, we could literally feel our souls wrapping around one another. At the end of the week he left, and we both still felt each other's presence, even though we were miles apart.

This past week, neither one of us couldn't take it anymore. He had a week off before midterms, and he came down to see me. While he was down, he asked me to marry him. I accepted.

We're both young, we both know that. We're only freshmen in college, so we're going to wait until we both graduate and Bernard goes into grad school. It'll be tough, waiting for graduation and even after when we'll have all those student loans to pay off, but we'll manage.

So thank you to all of you who've read through this thread. [Wink]

AND I'M ENGAGED! To a wonderful, honest, amazing man. Bernard, I love you.

Mayday

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET!!

DUDE! DUDETTE!

SWEET!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of anything better to say right now than "wow!" and I've already said that to both of you. [Smile] So, congratulations! You're both very sweet and I'm very happy for you. [Smile]
[Group Hug]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Party] [The Wave] [Wave] [Kiss] [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
B!!!! Mayday!!! THAT IS SOO COOL!!!

(hugs you both) Congratulations!!!

I'm so happy for you guys!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been busy using exclamation points at Bernie in the chat room, but I have to offer congratulations to both of you. Bernie is, naturally, a great catch -- and you sound so intelligent and articulate that I have difficulty believing you're an American citizen. From what little I can tell, Bernie's made as great a catch as you have.

Young and in love. This is just so damn sweet.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
People. Honestly. Stop getting engaged. You might give me ideas. [Wink]
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: looks down and shuffles feet ::
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the "We" part of "We're engaged."
Small note though, we did dance, though...only with the cohersion of one of my roommates (thank you Jeni for introducing me to the Presidential Classroom).
I know that quite a few of you are going to say that we are too young to be married, and we both agree whole-heartedly, right now, we are engaged, and not even officially (saying that neither of us can afford rings). We plan on finishing our schooling at our seperate schools because I love Beloit (yet again, thank you Jeni), and she loves LSU (where the uber-cool Toretha is also at). We both have the thought of finishing our education before marriage beaten into us, thusly tis very important to us. Afterwards, we will live closer together to see if we can deal with each other on a daily basis before we finally marry.
At the moment, I'm rather fuzzy with the euphoria. I love you, dearest Maribeth.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo: My mother was an English minor. I've had proper grammar crammed down my throat since I was two. [Wink]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you!

[Party]

And I just have to add, AWWWWWWWWWWW! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

'Grats, guys. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!!
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[Party] [Party]
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Thanks Mayday [Big Grin] I love to know the story behind everything.

Happy Day!

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I'm proud of you for making the right decision and for finding each other. May you have all the happiness you dream of!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard....as in our Oregon Bernard? Engaged? Adoring girl? This is so exciting!!! Bernard!!! I'd give you a hug if you were close by!! (btw, I thought of you this last weekend...guess where I was??? Yep! Canby! Your favorite place!)

But seriously folks, this is great news and I'm so excited for you both! Congratulations! [Big Grin]

Edit cause I can't spell [Blushing]

[ October 20, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Narnia! Though, pray tell, why were you in Canby?

Thank you everybody for your blessings!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, both of you!

Hmm...you must be the girlfriend who got the signed copy of Enchantment Bernard bought while we were all at Powells.

You know he's only marrying you to get it back! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you two!

I wish you the best of luck. Even if something awful happens, remember how bloody happy you were to be in love.

Right here I could wax poetic for a while about how wonderful that is, but I'm sure you already know. So, enjoy!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Party] [Kiss] [Group Hug] [Hat]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

And how wonderfully, marvelously caring you are about each other. The waiting part is hard, I know, but you will not regret it. It's one of the most tangible ways to say "I love you so much that I'm willing to do what's best." Very cool!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz to both of you!

We want pics from the wedding, in a few years or whenever.

One side note: Presidential Classroom, I reintroduced this to my school during my senior year, and was the only person that went. It was a fantastic experience. I met Vice President Bush amongst others (does that date me? No. Just because I was doing the Presidential Classroom before you two were born, aaaaahhhhg.)

I have to go now. I'm feeling a bit depressed for some reason.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm speechless.

That's amazing, guys.

::mucho hugs::

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS!

I knew this was coming, I just didn't see it this soon, then again, 3-4 years of engagement!?

I wish all the best for both of you, so cool!

((MB))
[[Bernard]]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! this is so cool.

::hugs Maribeth and Bernard::

Ni!

[ October 20, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already said this to Mayday, but now to both of yall-YEAAA!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

[The Wave]
[Party]
[The Wave]
[Party]
[Group Hug]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you. Especially for having the good sense to wait. You are awfully young, you know. [Party]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We want pics from the wedding, in a few years or whenever.
Pictures? We want invitations.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Bernard and I would like to thank all of you who have posted (and will? please?) giving us congratulations. It really means a lot to us, y'all giving us support, especially since we are so young, we'll be the first to admit it.

So thanks, y'all. [Group Hug] [Kiss]

Mayday

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! I wish you both the very best - much happiness and much love!

I'm also very proud of your maturity for waiting. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, invitations WOULD be nice. All these Hatrackers keep getting married, but nobody ever asks me to send them gifts....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

If we can't find a big enough church... Could you still send gifts? [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All these Hatrackers keep getting married, but nobody ever asks me to send them gifts...
Well, I'm not getting married, but if it'll make you happy, feel free to send me a gift.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I KNEW the gift angle would make me new friends. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, if I ever stand still long enough to get married, you owe me a present.

I like books. And those flower-shaped bunt pans from William Sonoma.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for cooking utensils!

This is what I drool over.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The cookware I lust after: http://www.allclad.com .

Christmas is coming up, and my birthday is january sixteenth.

Thank you.

p.s. Congrats, Beranard and Mayday!

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, that is a very sweet love story. Thanks for sharing it. Congratulations and the best of luck to you both, Bernard and Mayday!!
Morbo [Hat] [The Wave] [Party]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Wowowowowow! Bernard and Mayday! I'm so happy for you guys! This is so wonderful! <gets tears in eyes> I'm SO coming! So I hope you do have it in Louisiana. <laughs>

Ah, I love you wonderful khe khe! I'm so happy you are happy! And I'm looking forward to getting to know my sis-in-law better! Welcome to the family, Maribeth! We are so delighted to have you! [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
[Big Grin]
[Big Grin]

CONGRATULATIONS! Awesome, awesome, awesome! [Cool] [Group Hug]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Ana Kata: Does this mean that I'm your fiancee-in-law now instead of your girlfriend-in-law? [Razz]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> If you like! I had already skipped ahead to sis-in-law! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

[Big Grin] Whatever you want, sis-in-law.
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
!!! [Eek!] !!!

!!!

!!!

*regains coherence*

*laughs* Wow, that took me totally by surprise...That is SO COOL! YAY! YAY YAY! I'm so happy for you guys! [The Wave] [The Wave]

[Party] [Party]

(((((bro)))))
(((((sis-in-law-to-be)))))

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeweledHeart
Member # 5833

- posted      Profile for JeweledHeart   Email JeweledHeart         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say: AWESOME!!! I know how good it feels to be young and in love (and hopefully "young and engaged with the intention of waiting" soon) ::hint, hint:: Lol...JK...no pressure Emp...I love you!

But yeah, MUCH CONGRATS!!! May it all work out and may time fly by til the time you get married.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

And me again, with a shameless link of Bernard and me. This is the only picture I have of the two of us, and yes, I really look that white next to him in real life, that is not a photography glitch.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you. Long-distance relationships can be tough (I know from experience), but it's so worth it when you've found the right person (which I also know from experience).
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, we got an All-Clad grille pan as a wedding present, and it is pretty freakin' awesome.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.