FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to make money despite Piracy

Author Topic: How to make money despite Piracy
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Piracy of Intellectual Content of course. This is not a thread for Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl after all.

No, this is about the fear that artist, such as Micheal Jackson, Madonna, and Britney Spearsinc,ltd,etal), or major motion pictures such as The New and Exciting phenomenon of [U]HAUNTED MANSION[/u], from Disney, or possibly even books, such as Dune, The Return of the Messiah and his Second Sister, (the new exciting tale set in the Dune Universe, and written by the Frank Herberts third cousin who has been known to write some darn good limericks) can still be profitable enough to encourage these great works of art to be accomplished?

Do what the other free entertainment companies do.

Throw in some advertisements.

That's right, Ads in your favorite Book, Movie, or even Sound Track .

What harm could it do? It wouldn't be too annoying. I mean we aren't talking Pop Up Adds.

Mc. Donalds is your kind of place

Anyway, its just an Idea. I mean the ads on Television has brought us such wonderful art as "Big Brother 4" and the fabulous "When Lawn Mowers go Wild" from FOX!. Just think what the ads could do to the Music industry, or for modern Literature. Would Hamlet have sounded really any worse if he would have said, "V8 or not V8, that is the question?"

Thanks for your time.

(this post brought to you by "Ender's Game", soon coming to a theater near you.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you're a genius, if I may say so myself.

(all contents of this post are the intellectual property of the Apple Corporation)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I say so myself all the time.

Though usually I say, "Supra-Genious"

(and its followed by a train whistle, and eventually a "Kaboom". Darn that wascally wabbit. Yes, I'm rambling now)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
We, and our grandparents, in fact, grew up with free music from the radio and free entertainment on TV. With new technology here, it is inconceivable that we will be able to convince a new generation that music isn't free anymore (from the internet).

These all derive their operating funds from advertising.

Artists found a way to derive revenue from Radio, TV, venues, etc., the Performance Rights Societies (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). We have to establish a similar revenue stream to the artist from internet play.

Right now, movie income from exhibition and distribution on DVD/VHS are both very profitable, but music CD, like many other industries in this economy, are selling less. The people who make these CDs have no jurisdiction, but are allowed to sue their customers, even though these customers aren't pirating their product.

Many of these companies are even including advertising on their product, not to pass along savings to their customers, but to direct more and more money to fewer and fewer people at the top.

Now, where is my EnderWear©

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.