FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-Seven

Author Topic: Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-Seven
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen, Eighteen, and Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-one, Twenty-two, Twenty-three, Twenty-four, Twenty-five and Twenty-six.

quote:
“Have you ever seen such a pretty flower?”, Hank asked, stooping over, peering nearsightedly at the delicate, iridescent blossoms dotting the creeper. Edith hadn’t, but she didn’t much care. She’d never been much of a flower person really, and besides, her hip was acting up again, and she was mostly interested in getting back inside, into the cool of their little house.

“Hank, you can come back out here later if you want, but right now I need to get off my feet.”

“Okay, we’ll go in. Just hang on a sec.” Hank fished in his pocket, drew out his pocket knife, and cut off a length of the creeper.

As they walked the quarter mile back up to the house, Hank turned the length of vine over and over in his hands, marveling at the way the flowers changed color as the light hit them from different angles. One moment they’d be a dull grey, just as forgettable a color as a person could imagine, and then they’d shimmer into vibrant life, a breathtaking metallic blue that would bleed into green, then red, as Hank slowly twirled the vine. Even Edith had to admit that it was nice.

“It’s kind of like them butterflies we saw at that exhibit down in Dallas a few years back, isn’t it” She said, remembering how amazing they’d looked, pinned to the back of the cases that lined the walls, until she happened to glance up at one while she was tying her shoe, startled to find it a drab, papery brown.

“Yep, just like ‘em. You know, I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of flowers like these. I’ll have to look it up.”

At home, Edith settled heavily into her chair and switched on the TV. Her physical therapist had said that she was ready to start taking walks again, but the dull ache in her hip suggested that they’d overdone it a bit today. Hank would have to go out by himself tomorrow, she thought.

She could hear him puttering around in the kitchen, filling the tea kettle, getting their mugs out of the cabinet. He was a good man, Hank. Most men, they’d have expected her to make the tea, expected her to bring it to them, expected her to do everything. Not Hank. He’d been real good about taking care of his share of things around the house ever since he’d retired, and since she’d broken her hip that past November, he’d been almost too eager to help. She’d been pretty helpless there for awhile, but she was hardly an invalid now. Still, she thought as he walked carefully into the room, carrying their tea and the creeper, now in a vase of water, on a tray, on days like this it was nice.

As they waited for the tea to cool, Hank thumbed through his Illustrated Guide to the Flowering Plants of Kansas. “I don’t see it anyplace here.”

[ October 24, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The guess from list:

advice for robots . . . . . Human. . . . . . . . . .. . Pat
ae . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Icarus. . . . . . . . . . .. . Pixie
amira tharani . . . . . . . . .IndexCard . . . . . . . . porcelain girl
Amka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Irami. . . . . . . . . . . . .. pooka
Annie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .JaneX . . . . . . . . . . . . rivka
Avadaru. . . . . . . . . . . . . jeniwren. . . . . . . . .. . Ryuko
Belle. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . Jon Boy. . . . . . . . . . . sarcastic muppet
Bob_Scopatz . . . . . . . . Kama. . . . . . . . . . . . saxon75
Caleb Varns . . . . . . . . . KarlEd . . . . . . . . . . . ScottR
CalvinMaker . . . . . . . . . katharina. . . . . . . .. . Shlomo
Celia60 . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kayla . . . . . .. . . . . . . Slash the Bezerker
Christy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . kwsni . . . . . . . . . .. . . solo
Dan_raven . . . . . . . .. . . Leonide . . . . . . . . . . sndrake
Dante . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leto II . . . . . . . . . . . . Strider
dkw . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . littlemissattitude. . . . T_Smith
Dragon . . . . . . . .. . . . . . :Locke . . . . . . . . . . .. Tammy
^eleKtron . . . . . . . . . .. . . ludosti. . . . . . . . . . .. Teshi
enjeeo . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . Maethoriell . . . . . . . The Tick
Ethics Gradient . . . . . . . mackillian. . . . . . . . Tresopax
Feyd Baron . .. . . . . . . . . Mama Squirrel . . . . Troubadour
Flyby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Morbo.. . . . . . . . . . . TomDavidson
Filleted. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nick . . . . . . . . . . . . twinky
Fugu13. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Noemon. . . . . . . . . . Unmaker
Geoffrey Card . . . . . . . . Ophelia. . . . . . . . . . . Vána
Hobbes . . . . . . . . . . .. . . Papa Moose . .. . . . . zgator

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The score:

Saxon75: 61
Rivka: 58 ½
Sarcasticmuppet: 51 ½
Eslaine: 51 ½
Jeniwren: 40
Noemon: 39 ½
Christy: 35
Celia: 31
Ophelia: 29
Deirdre: 25
Advice for Robots: 25
Ryuko: 20
Teshi: 18
Morbo: 17 ½
Caleb: 16
Belle: 16
Mackillian: 15½
Irami: 15
Sopwith: 15
Annie: 13
Dan Raven 11 ½
Tom Davidson: 10 ½
Fugu: 10
Twinky: 10
Scott R: 8
Leonide: 8
Nick: 8
T Smith: 7 ½
Hobbes: 7
BannaOJ: 6
Katharina: 6
Jon Boy: 5
Human 4½
esl: 4 ½
Ethics Gradient: 4 ½
Enjeeo: 4 ½
Fitz: 3
Beren One Hand: 2
Jaiden: 2
Blacwolve: 2
GreNME: 2
Icarus: 2
Emperor Palpatine: 2
Tristan: 2
ClaudiaTherese: 2
Locke: 2
Brinestone: 1
Kayla 1½
Papa Moose: 1
Filetted: 1
Kwsni: 1
Pooka: ½
Punchdrunk: ½

Rules:

Five points for a correct guess with either rationale for the guess or a critique of the story
Two points for any guess with a critique
One point for any guess with a rationale
-100 points for a guess with neither of the above.

[ November 11, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting. That flower must be some kind of alien, right? [Wink] Overall, I like this. The characters are intriguing. It's a bit choppy, though. There are some comma and capitalization issues. And several run-on sentences that should become two or three sentences apiece.

I guess filleted.

[Edit: Since I ended up with the first post after dkw's, I'll put the 'Guessed' list here, and update it.]

Already Guessed:
filleted
Icarus
KarlEd
celia
Hobbes
mackillian
Ophelia
dkw
Morbo
ScottR
rivka
Shlomo
T_Smith
porce
Kama
JaneX
Pixie
Papa Moose

Guessed but not responded to:
kwsni

[ October 27, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely some comma issues, especially in the second half. Over all though it's not bad. I'm going to guess...Icarus.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there are some comma issues, but I think they're kind of minor. I think the characterization is excellent, and the prose flows very well. The exposition is woven into the scene very well, so that it doesn't drag. And the use of vernacular is good. It's present enough to color the characters, but subtle enough not to be obtrusive.

The one flaw I noticed is that there is a slight POV mixup in the fourth paragraph. The rest of the piece is told from Edith's point of view, but that paragraph seems to be from Hank's. Switching POV is OK, but I think that it shouldn't be done twice (Edith to Hank and back) in a piece this short.

KarlEd?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I'm trying to think of creative new ways to say, "no."

It's not working.

No. No. And No.

rivka
Member # 4859

Use languages other than English? [Wink] Lo, nein, etc.?

I think this author is likely young. Not sure about gender -- if I had to guess, I'd say female.

celia?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I did that in one of the earlier rounds.

Nein.

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I suppose you could [Laugh] at people who guess wrong, but that seems a bit unfriendly. [Wink]

quote:
“Have you ever seen such a pretty flower?”,
Shouldn't that be flowers, since he then looks at "iridescent blossoms"? And lose the comma.

Hobbes?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost positive the author is a woman. I'd guess she's between the ages of 20 and 40 (yeah, specific, eh?) because of the choice of an older couple as the characters. The slightly southern or small-town feel mixes weirdly with the sf/fantasy element, so it's someone who likes to intrigue or even possibly shock. However, this writer also likes the simple things in life.

My guess is mackillian.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Her Royal Sweekiness
Member # 5747

- posted      Profile for Her Royal Sweekiness           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, definetely has comma issues. But I like it a lot, it's very colloquial sounding. Very homey. It's a really great story. Very sweet to have the guy actually doing domestic things. I'll guess...Ophelia.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Hank fished in his pocket...
Hank thumbed through his Illustrated Guide ...

I like these little touches in verb choice. Gives a nice feel to the piece.

Comma and run-on sentences are a problem in this sample, but since I am often guilty of those writing flaws myself, I will leave it to others to point them out or proffer corrections.

Like Brinestone, I suspect it is a woman author. Since pastors spend lots of time with the elderly and therefore could characterize them well, I'll guess dkw. I think she has had a piece in the contest, but she also said some could go twice.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
pastors spend lots of time with the elderly
Especially rural pastors. But it's not me.

Nor is it anyone else who's been guessed.

rivka
Member # 4859

I would make this sentence
quote:
She’d never been much of a flower person really, and besides, her hip was acting up again, and she was mostly interested in getting back inside, into the cool of their little house.

into two sentences:
quote:
She’d never been much of a flower person really. Besides, her hip was acting up again, and she was mostly interested in getting back inside, into the cool of their little house.

I guess Morbo.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's a better writer than me. Than I.
Anyway, it ain't me. [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
DKW, you could do clown/tv wrong answer noises. Bzzzzt, wa-wa-waaah, etc. in accordance with your "ding ding ding" right answer. [Smile]

I'm not sure if the author is trying to or not, but there is a definite callous feel to the old woman. It seems that you are struggling with her character, to show her pain but still show her as a good person. I don't like her, though, and I expect we're going to sympathize with her throughout the story.

I'm very intrigued by the flower/creeper [Smile]

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Scott R?

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess Rivka.
My rationale: she has been very active on this round, plus she played dumb when I asked her about it in AIM chat last night, refusing to even say if she had submitted a sample. She probably was just being coy to see me guess wrong. In which case, she got her wish. [Razz]

[edited to stop a hissing noise]

[ October 26, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Good job rivka!

No, you didn't get it right, but you did encourage Morbo to guess wrong.

Along with everybody else.

rivka
Member # 4859

*smiles at Morbo*

I still think it's someone young. Shlomo?

[ October 26, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Nope.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
given the mention of tea, I'm going to guess T_Smith
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
As they walked the quarter mile back up to the house, Hank turned the length of vine over and over in his hands, marveling at the way the flowers changed color as the light hit them from different angles.
I'd break up this one too, maybe like so:

quote:
As they walked the quarter mile back up to the house, Hank turned the length of vine over and over in his hands. He marveled at the way the flowers changed color as the light hit them from different angles.
I guess porce.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hmmm...I see what you're saying about a female author, although I'm not completely convinced. Does this remind anyone of the writing Kama did in her unusual 4 post landmark post detailing her grandparents' and parents' lives? You know, the one that plummeted off of page 1 for some strange reason, despite being a fascinating read? I'm guessing Kama.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess a younger author on this one, because these old people sound too hip when they talk. A younger author might not hear how youthful the dialogue sounds. Part of making this story really enjoyable will be to get those subtle nuances into the conversation that make them sound genuinely older and more experienced. They need to sound like they've lived together for decades and can almost read each other's mind.

I know this is just a snippet, but in a passage this long there should be more hints to the struggle. There's not much tension here. The dull/vibrant imagery of the flowers and the butterfly could be exploited much more, perhaps to relate to what one or both of them are facing. It's great that they like each other and that Hank is so helpful, but in order for the story to keep moving there has to be some kind of tension building.

I'd like to see more of the world around the pair, and not just what they're holding. A gentle story like this would benefit from good visual and other sensual imagery. Especially when the theme seems to be based on the dull/vibrant objects. You can get a lot more mileage out of that.

I'll guess JaneX.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to everybody.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, my current thinking is young, and likely female.

Pixie?

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It has the feel of a man, and I hope that the protagonist, Hank, is a man. The colloquialisms are pulled off well, and with a little humor too.

Papa Moose could do this.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

He proably could, but he didn't. Neither did Pixie.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
“It’s kind of like them butterflies we saw at that exhibit down in Dallas a few years back, isn’t it” She said, remembering how amazing they’d looked, pinned to the back of the cases that lined the walls, until she happened to glance up at one while she was tying her shoe, startled to find it a drab, papery brown.

This paragraph confused me. Is Edith remembering a butterfly? Seeing it now? And if they are relevant because of their beautiful colors, why does she mostly remember the drab one?

I guess knwsi.

(Side note: dkw, did you receive my email?)

rivka
Member # 4859

*I-know-dkw's-been-busy-but-a-tiny-noodge-seems-appropriate bump*

[Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

Ooops. Not kwsni.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
This could easily be a scene from All Flesh is Grass as far as content, except that Simak has a pretty set list of characters which the lady in this piece doens't fit. I mean that as praise, as I love his work, but I get bored of there only being 2 different women in all his stories.

I'll go with Noemon at the moment.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

If "at the moment" is still in effect, then

ding ding ding ding!

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Dinner!

*Runs off*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::flattered to be compared to Simak::
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I've been looking at my dialog, and the only part of it that looks to me like it could be perceived as being "youthful" is the use of the word "sec". Now, I've known elderly people who have used this word in place of second, but I understand that that sort of thing doesn't matter--if it feels false to the reader, it feels false to the reader, and that's all there is to it. Does the dialog seem youthful to others, or is that a minority opinion?
eslaine
Member # 5433

AH! I second guessed myself too much! Great Job Noemon!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Erik!

I was pretty embarassed about the run on sentences. That really isn't like me; I'm not sure how it happened in that. In my defense, that was a first draft attempt.

I kind of enjoyed the general assumption that I was a young woman. I'm actually a 31 year old man.

[ October 30, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

You know, 10 percent of alien species survive, and of those 10 percent, 10 percent become pests.

At least terrestrial plants anyway!

I didn't think it was a female this time. I don't know why though...

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, if I ever finish this story, it'll be pretty clear that the plants are pests.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, and the comment about thinking that I was a young woman wasn't directed at you Erik; it was just a general comment.

You know, it's funny. I get mistaken for a woman a lot. The funny part is that I'm not even remotely feminine. Nonetheless, when my wife and I are eating at a restaurant, it isn't all that unusual for the server to say "what can I get for you ladies...oh, um...I mean...I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." It doesn't bother me--actually I find it kind of funny. I don't quite get it though. I mean, when I had long hair I attributed it to that, but now my hair is short, and in a masculine style, complete with bald spot. And I have a goatee. And a masculine build.

Go figure.

I just thought it was interesting that that perception carried over into my writing too.

I wonder what it's all about?

celia60
Member # 2039

ugh, and i get called sir and young man often enough as well. why do i either have to be a 30-somthing woman or an underage boy? stupid people.

have you read the simak book i mentioned?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Isn't that bizarre? At least, if you and I ever go out to eat together, the servers will understand that there are two people of different genders there. They'll just be a little confused as to which is which.

I've read that book, but it's been decades. I went on a Simak kick in about 1988 or so, but I haven't really read him since. At that point I was also on a Lester Del Ray and Cordwainer Smith kick, and it's been too long since I've read them too. I'm going to be going through all of my boxed up SF when I'm at my parents house of Thanksgiving though, so I'll have an opportunity to cart home quite a bit of rereading material. Of course, that means that I'll need to find a way to fit more books on my shelves.

celia60
Member # 2039

i'm doing that this christmas, i think. maybe we should trade a box [Big Grin]
dkw
Member # 3264

Well it's about time!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.