FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Supreme Court ruled tomato a veggie

Author Topic: Supreme Court ruled tomato a veggie
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching Utah Edu Network last night, and I had never heard this before. Apparently there was a protective tariff on fruit so the tomato growers (this was a long time ago, I didn't catch the date) tried to get there wares designated as fruit. But the men in black ruled that they are veggies. I guess it became a matter of sweetness.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The men in black... it's not enough for them to police the intergalactic qualities of earth, now they have to say a tomato is a veggie!

[ October 25, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
As a long-time collector of interesting but otherwise useless information, I remember reading about this case. Weren't some of the arguments leading to its legal definition as a vegetable related to how tomatoes are used? That is, it was argued they are used more like a vegetable than a fruit. Like in salads, soups, main dishes and such.

Still a strange ruling since the scientific evidence was a slam-dunk.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they'll rule that the planet Venus is a plant next.

Ni!

[ October 25, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Hmm... Maybe that's why Venus has no moons. It swallowed them all, like the littler potted things do here on earth.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story: Someone once told me that all vegetables don't have seeds (or all fruits or something) that's why they are what they are. I then had to demonstrate a great number of seed bearing vegetables and fruits. *sigh*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi- the biological definition of a fruit is that it is a ripe ovary, typically containing seeds. Vegetables are any other part of a plant: root, stem, leaf etc. Oddly, Potatoes are a stem and not a root. I also think I've been told that the fleshy part of strawberries is also not the actual fruit, because the seeds are located on the outside of it.

So basically, Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber are not really Veggies. The Asparagus family are the only actual Veggies in Bumblyburg.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
Did the judge bother to think of the identity crisis that will now befall all of tomato-kind?
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
They're trying to teach the moral lessons, not the scientific ones.

Either that, or they don't want to discriminate against the vegetable-like fruits and are therefore diversifying.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

I think the only lesson here is that judicial office is best suited to those who are horticulturally challenged.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.--Dorothy Parker
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

When is a fruit not a fruit?

When a judge calls it a vegetable.

Its not funny, I know. But jokes having to be funny was, following this case, too narrow a definition of what a joke is.

[ October 25, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: StigLarson ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Shouldn't decisions regarding fruits and vegetables be made by members of the ...

juicediciary?

(please don't throw tomatoes at me)

[Razz]

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...the Supreme Court is normally so good at science...just look at Roe vs. Wade.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Actually, Ryan, my personal favorite from the Supremes is Buck v Bell, which gave gave the constitutional seal of approval to the compulsory sterilization of an estimated 70,000 Americans under eugenics laws. (Personally, I think the official estimate is low.) Just got back from North Carolina where they're discussing reparations/compensation to surviving victims of sterilization. Like a few other states, North Carolina kept sterilizing people into the 1970s, although not at the same pace as they were in the 30s and 40s.

[ October 25, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there is no strict scientific definition of a vegetable. Basically, a vegetable is whatever people say it is.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomatoes have been legally defined as vegetables for over a century.

quote:
Basically, a vegetable is whatever people say it is.
Well, I think it's more defined by how it's used, which is slightly different. But yeah, there are all kinds of things we consider vegetables that fit some (other) botanical category. Mushrooms, for example.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.