FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ROTK is HOW LONG?!?!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ROTK is HOW LONG?!?!!
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK IS 3.5 HOURS LONG.

I suspected that they'd have to make it longer just to get everything wrapped up properly, but I didn't honestly think that they'd do it!!

This information comes to TOR.n from Greater Union/Birch Carol & Coyle, and has been confirmed. Greater Union is a 50/50 joint venture with Roadshow distributors, who distribute prints to cinemas in Australia.

Holy crap. Holy, holy crap.

...how long is the Extended going to be?!

[ October 28, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET! 3.5 hours of MOVIE GOODNESS!!
[Party]
I hope extended is like 4 hours long! That would make an all day EE LotR party (when the dvd comes out) be at least 10.5 hours!!! ALL DAY!!!!!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Trilogy Tuesday will be a total of 10.5 hours of movie. This is actually a pretty good movie deal.

My tickets cost 25$ and that is $2.38/hour for the movies. Considering that most movies clock in at around 2 hours and you might pay $9 for those, that is $4.50/hour. Peter gives us our monies worth.

I also would expect the Extended ROTK to be around 4 hours, when it is released next Christmas.

There are already rumors that New Line will do a limited engagement again of all three extended versions next year.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
And think about Harry Potter... To make all the stuff fit in one or even two movie per book, they will need long movies !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!! That's fantastic!

I am more and more excited for this movie the more I learn.

And since I frequent TOR.n, I basically learn something every day.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been loving Peter Jackson's interpretation of LOTR, and I'll be happy to spend 3.5 hours watching it. In general, though, what do you think of the trend of longer movies? To a certain point it's a good thing, I think, since it allows for deeper storytelling. There does come a point, though, at which I think "do I really want to spend that much of my day at the movie theater?".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

If it wasn't LOTR, I wouldn't sit through it. And if PJ hadn't done as good a job with the franchise, I wouldn't sit through it.

There are movies that need the extra time and use it well. And if I want to see them, I'll give 'em a try.

But anything over 2.5 hours for your average movie is pushing it, really, really hard. A movie has to be something special in order for me to invest that much time in it. LOTR are definitely worth it; Kill Bill was worth the 2.5 hours. But I've seen movies that weren't worth their 90 minute run time, so it really boils down to how good you are at picking movies to see in the theatre. [Smile]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Topic: ROTK is HOW LONG?!?!!
Not nearly long enough [Big Grin]

Our tickets were $30 apiece, and I figure we'll be in the theatre for close to 12 hours, watching close to 11 hours of movies (I think TT:EE is going to be closer to four hours than most), so that's a fairly good deal.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, I've been loving Peter Jackson's interpretation of LOTR, and I'll be happy to spend 3.5 hours watching it. In general, though, what do you think of the trend of longer movies? To a certain point it's a good thing, I think, since it allows for deeper storytelling. There does come a point, though, at which I think "do I really want to spend that much of my day at the movie theater?
I love that movies are getting longer. I've always felt that movies need to be longer so they can flesh things out better. Short movies are for people with ADD. [Smile] Seriously, some people I know cannot sit through more than 45 minutes or so of movie. These people are annoying when I'm trying to relax and enjoy it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Only problem is, I wonder if my bladder will hold out for 3.5 hours. Whatever you do, don't get the large soda.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! The longer the better in my opinion. Ellen silla lumen omentielvo.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeehaw!
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not a real fan if you don't get a... uh... medical intervention installed for the premier
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a root canal, and then a physical, I've already had both of them, but the school dosen't know that do they?

[ October 28, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, an intermission might be in order with a movie that long.

The only movie I've ever seen in a theater that actually had an intermission was Gandhi, which had a running time of 190 minutes, 20 minutes shorter than ROTK.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

The lenght is one reason I see the movies so many times. I can go to the bathroom with out worrying that I will miss something. I just time it so that in the next showing I go during a scene that I have already seen.

I told the manager of the theater in Cincy that they should install the Cathater movie seats for this showing. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Is the theater in Cincinnati better than your choices in Dayton?
msquared
Member # 4484

The trilogy is not showing in Dayton.

I am going to watch the Trilogy in Cincy on Tuesday and then watch ROTK three more times in Dayton on Wednesday. All in all I am spending about $75 on tickets(my wife is going to the trilogy with me on Tuesday) and will probably spend at least another $50 on food.

msquared

Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie had to be extra long to make room for my marathon victory dance at the end.

[ October 28, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Saruman ]

Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
I am going to watch the Trilogy in Cincy on Tuesday and then watch ROTK three more times in Dayton on Wednesday. All in all I am spending about $75 on tickets(my wife is going to the trilogy with me on Tuesday) and will probably spend at least another $50 on food.
You're going to watch the same movie three times in one day?! Won't that kind of kill it for you? I have a strong aversion to seeing any movie more than once while I can still remember it. I have only seen the other two LOTR movies once, and that will probably be true for ROTK as well, until perhaps sometime in 2005 when I watch all of them one more time.

How are all you marathoners going to get food anyway? Are you actually going to spend that kind of money at the concession stand?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

The first time I watch it for the enjoyment. After that I watch for small things in the background, try and catch details that I might have missed the first time around.

For example in the FOTR when Frodo is sick and Aragorn and the hobbits are trying to figure out waht to do, you see the trolls from the Hobbit in the background. The Extended actually tells you what they are, but the regular version does not. I picked that up on my third viewing on the first day of the first movie.

msquared

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Well, I guess if you get THAT kind of payoff....

[Big Grin]

There are guys at work who rush off to buy the Special Edition 3 Disc Gold Collector's Set with All the Extras and Then Some on the morning of the day it goes on sale, feeling like they saved money because they got it at Costco for $20 less. I just don't understand that mentality.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been holding out for when New Line releases the humongous spectacular special edition BOX SET of all three movies. I'm also doing this for all 7 Harry Potter books, all 6 Star Wars movies, all 4 Indiana Jones movies (why by the trilogy when the 4th movie won't fit into the box?) and the Matrix trilogy. My sister makes fun of me and calls me the Box Set queen. [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Advice - $20 is a lot of money to be saving on what amounts to a non-essential!
Saruman
Member # 2275

A penny saved is a penny earned.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepard
Member # 5613

- posted      Profile for Shepard   Email Shepard         Edit/Delete Post 
They had better show the ending with the scouring of the Shire in it, if its 3 1/2 hours long. I doubt it though, if they left out Sam getting the box from Galadriel.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

The scouring of the Shire is my favorite part.

[ October 28, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Saruman ]

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Actually the scouring is left out, Legolas kills Saruman with archers of the Rohirrim while at Orthanc. It ends after the marriage of Aragorn and Arwen. If anyone wants more details, I have a short summary of all the changes, e-mail me at thelordoftheferrets@yahoo.com . I will be pleased to dish it out.

-Rhaegar The Fool

[ October 28, 2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

[Smile]

I mean, I don't understand that gotta-have-it mentality when it comes to boxed sets. The fact that you got it at Costco for $20 less is mere rationalization. I understand that. You're convincing yourself that it's money in the bank when it's really just slightly less money spent. One of the guys at work just bought the Indiana Jones set at Costco and used that rationalization. Yeah, it was ONLY $43. When I'll bet you anything he has all three movies sitting in his DVD cabinet already. Essentially $43 for some interviews, extra scenes, and short documentaries, plus a nice design on the box and the discs. Maybe a booklet? It's stuff that I never watch anyway when I rent a movie. I just can't shake the feeling that the studios are laughing all the way to the bank with these collector's editions. They hardly had to do a thing to slap them together--heck, the movie's already made, and most of the footage is there--and people who already own the movies are buying them AGAIN at full price. If I ever started collecting, I would collect original, hand-made, one-of-a-kind stuff, not rewarmed repackaged movies I already owned. Bah.

If I really wanted to get rich, I'd start selling collector's editions of movies. Hmmm.

Saruman
Member # 2275

You know, Rhaegar, some people would appreciate it if you said something like ***SPOILERS*** before giving away key plot elements of upcoming movies.

[ October 28, 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Saruman ]

Saruman
Member # 2275

A penny saved is a penny earned, advice for robots.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

I hate spoilers too. I count spoilers as a thing were they tell you every thing that ahppens, this is just a list of changes made form the books, IE things left out.
Saruman
Member # 2275

You know, Rhaegar, some people would appreciate it if you said something like ***SPOILERS*** before giving away key plot elements of upcoming movies.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

LOL, Pat. My point exactly.
Saruman
Member # 2275

*sigh*

I'm not Pat. I'm your colleague-in-law.

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

[ October 28, 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Saruman ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Did I really read something about your supposedly impending death, Saruman-baby? How can that be?

Tsk, tsk.

It'll never happen.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

AFR

I don't buy all of them. I did not buy the regular version of either the first two films and will not of the third. I only own about 10 DVD, 1 of which is the extended FOTR. I will get the extended TTT for Christmas this year and the extended ROTK next year.

msquared

[ October 29, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: msquared ]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Man am I jeolous. I see everyone talking about all day LOTR marathons. I live a Lima, Oh where the only two theaters are both comlpete CRAP! They may have been nice about 30 years ago but nothing has been done to them since.

I definately will be seing ROTK opening night and think the longer the better. I love the extended detail and development that a longer movie can give you. But unfortunately my wife doesn't embrase my complete and total geekiness/nerdiness si-fi/fantasy obsesion. So a trip to Columbus or Cincy to spend all day watching movies is out of the question.

I hope you guys all enjoy. I'll have to settle for watching the EE of FOTR and TTT at home then heading to the theater to see ROTK.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

We have the marathons.
Mwuhahahahah!

[Hail] Peter Jackson [Kiss]
[Hail] Everyone Involved With LOTR [Kiss]

-Rhaegar The Fool

advice for robots
Member # 2544

You can't sway me with that voice of yours, Saruman. I'm...fairly sure...you're Pat...I guess...but...oh, all right...maybe... [Sleep]

m^2, I concede. If I didn't have the DVDs and I wanted them, I'd probably wait for the boxed set too. It's just that some of the guys at work take it a bit too far. They buy the Gold Edition when it comes out. Then they buy the Platinum Edition, because it has two more minutes of extra footage. And so on. I don't know how they can afford to feed their families.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

I'm a DVD nut. But not as crazy as some of the people that have been described. i purposely did not buy FOTR when it first came out because I knew I would prefer having the Extended Edition. For the same reason I still do not own TTT, but I will soon [Big Grin] For a DVD to qualify for my collection it has to be something I know I will watch over and over again, or a movie that my Sci-fi obsession tells me I shoild own even if it isn't as great as it should be (SW episodes I, II). I first started buying DvD about 2 years ago and I believe i now own about 45, most of which I can pop in and know I will enjoy seeing it for the 35th time.

[ October 29, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

beatnix,

Toledo has Trilogy Tuesday and you are not that far from Toledo. I live in Dayton and am going to Cincy for the Trilogy.

Maybe you should come down to Cincy for the Nov. OSC booksigning. There will be lots of people from Hatrack there. They are going to stop by my house on the way back for lunch.

msquared

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Hmm... I hadn't decided yet if I was going to go to Cincy or to Dayton. For me it is about an equal drive. I did Dayton the last time he was in Ohio and was leaning that way again but I could be easily persuaded to change my plans. My last trip was made with the wife and kids who do not share my, um, shall we say obsession, with OSC and the entire genre of sci-fi and fantasy. I have a feeling that no matter what I do this year I'll be making the trip alone.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wow beatnix, you Peruvians certainly take your OSC fandom seriously! That's quite a drive.

I got the FOTR extended edition for my birthday last year, and was delighted to have it. Since then, I've watched it once. I'm going to ask people not to get me the extended version of TTT for my birthday this year; I'd have many more hours of pleasure from the same number of dollars worth of books. For somebody who got more use out of them, though, I can completely see why they'd want them. I'll just content myself with renting the extended version this year though.

msquared
Member # 4484

beatnix

I live in Dayton and will be at the Dayton signing on Thursday. Alot of people from the Chicago area are going to drive down to Cincy on Friday morning for the Cincy signing on Friday. They are going to spend the night in Cincy and stop by my place for lunch on Saturday on the way back. I will bump the thread.

If you decide to go to the Dayton signing let me know.

msquared

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Sitting here thinking about it I will probably just drive to Dayton after work on Thursday. Knowing my wife I doubt she'll understand me wanting to go see "some geeky author" (definately her words and not mine!!!) that I saw last year already on a Thursday night, let alone an entire weekend of related activities. I love my wife but she just doesn't quite get it, and I respect her to much to dump the kids on her for a whole weekend.
Lime
Member # 1707

This is, by far, the longest thread I have ever created. [Big Grin]
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Did you get anything interesting , lately? [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Why yes we did! Thank you so much for the Bed Bath certificate! We used it to get curtains for our patio door and they look great. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] You rule. [Big Grin]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

glad I was able to contribute to your long thread
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.