FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The power of voices, now with a call for men's opinions

Author Topic: The power of voices, now with a call for men's opinions
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that voices have a big power on the way we perceive people, and I think that power is that big because we don’t even realize it. I myself realized that from two things. The first is that sometimes you find people (actors, for example) very sexy, although objectively they are not beautiful, and you don’t know them enough to love their personality. For example, here in France, we have Richard Berry (I’m too lazy to find a link but if you’re interested you can find it for yourselves). The second thing is that this opinion (sexy or not, for example) changes when you see movies in original or dubbled version. Since I’m French, I saw a lot of movies dubbled in French, and now that I’m getting found of original versions in general and English version in particular, I see the most movies in original versions. I found that the actor playing Snape in the Harry Potter movies (Alan Rickman) was incredibly sexy, so I tried to find if he had played in any other film I could see. I searched on the Internet, and I was very surprised to find that I actually saw him in a lot of movies: Robin Hood, prince of thieves, for example, and I hadn’t found anything particular in him. But that was because I saw that movies in French versions, and the guy who dubbles Rickman doesn’t have the same kind of voice! I found that funny, that’s what I wanted to share with you. Any other experiment that proves or infirm the power of voices on the judgment we can have on a person?

[ October 29, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to my voice... You are getting very sleepy... [Sleep]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[Wink]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mr. Funny put a smiley to sleep.

My wife had a grandfather with a deep base voice that scared away more than one of her perspective boy friends before we met.

I really appreciated that.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quite agreed.

Case in point: you haven't heard sweetness until you've heard Hobbes say "awwwww..." [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[Smile] I love to hear people in love.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think Alan Rickman is a severe hottie.

I find that the tone of voice often shapes what we think about people, which is why it's somewhat refreshing to get to know people online, where they can't judge you if you have a nasal voice or something.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely think a person's voice can be very powerful. My best friend moved to Ohio over the summer and Paul's still in Iraq (still will be until February) so I'm very thankful for the voice-mail each has left on my cell. Just hearing the voice of one or the other or both can take away a lot of stress/not-so-good feeling. That and there is honestly nothing like hearing the way someone's voice changes when they say they love you. [Smile]
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a thing for John Hannas voice. If I could find a book on tape that he is reading I would be in heaven. [Big Grin]
on a personal note I work in a call center so I'm on the phone all day. I've been doing this for about 3 years and in that time I have had customers tell me that they love my voice to the point where on one Saturday morning I spoke to Michael from North Carolina for about an hour and he asked me to marry him by the end of the call. I also have dinner dates any time I'm in one of many cites across this fine nation of ours. [Evil] OH and let's not forget the free room at a bed and breakfast in New Mexico, he was real nice too. so it is my experience that the voice has great power. use it wisely.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Note: if you meet someone on-line and call them and they sound really hot, this does not mean they will be really hot, in actuality.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
My 3 month old niece can sense my brother (her dad) the minute he comes home from work, even if she's asleep. He has a deep voice that carries, and even though I'm sure he tries to keep quiet when she's asleep, I think she's sensitive to the vibrations or something, because if he's not where she is and saying 'hi' within 3 or 4 minutes of his arrival, she gets rather upset.

She also likes to lay on his chest while he's talking. She'll stay awake like that or fall asleep. And she won't do it with anyone else. I think she likes his rumbly voice.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Voices can definitely enhance someone's attractiveness. Or detract from it.

And, may I say, I too find Alan Rickman's voice quite attractive. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
A teacher at my school has strained her vocal cords and talks like she has a sore throat all the time. She says that people often ask her if she's sick (and give her meals) when they first meet her. On the phone people can't tell if she's male or female. Many people pity her and treat her like she has a desease or handicap. It's odd.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Voices are also a big part of determining gender. If I know someone who has a very gender-neutral voice, it might take me a minute to realize whether or not they're a man or a woman.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Alan Rickman sure has a real talent to play bad ones (maybe because of his fascinating voice ?), and I think it must ask more than to play good ones. I recognized him dubbing the big bad one in an animated movie called in France "Gloups, je suis un poisson", three children turned into fishes and a fish who almost become a human.
EDIT : I checked, the movie is called "Help, I'm a fish" in English.

[ October 29, 2003, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I fell in love with my husband's deep tones (he has played a blues DJ on the side, and with good reason).

Anna, I think you're right. Voices are powerful.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I fell in love with my future husband's voice too. We were singing in a choral group, and he had the most beautiful tenor voice I ever heard. And a beautiful laugh too.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry White <sigh> and James Earl Jones. That kind of voice melts me...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I would like to know if it's the same for men. Come on guys, which voices make you melt ?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Moderately sultry British accents make me all gooshy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I remember some people telling me the same about French accent [Wink] I love an English speaker speaking French, too.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, guys' voices tend to be more powerfully evocative than women's voices, I think (unless you're calling a 900 number).

But I do think that alto voices tend to be more attractive to me than soprano ones. Especially when they're singing, but even if they're just talking.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I love British accents, and all of the Scottish, Irish, South African, Australian, and Kiwi derivatives. They can make even the most mundane statements rich and entrancing.

If you want to hear a great voice, check out Fiona Ritchie. She's the host of a celtic music program on NPR called The Thistle & Shamrock, which I rather enjoy. You can hear (and see) Fiona discussing Scottish music here.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Amy Lee from Evanescence all the way. I'm not particularly attracted to her physically, but she's a goddess when she's singing.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Fiona Ritchie sounds exactly like what Mike Meyers' mom was trying to sound like on So I Married an Axe Murderer.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So do I. I juice everythin' now.
This paper contains facts. Look a' this: "pregnant man gives birth." Now thass a fact!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Men can't get pregnant...so the baby must have been born instantly, or something.

Anyway, I agree. Voices do have a large impact, especially on first impressions. A, not necessarily sexy, but unannoying voice is almost (<-- take a note of that word) necessary in a successful relationship, since successful relationships are built on communication. You'd certainly have communication problems if you had a hard time listening to your partners voice.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

- posted      Profile for qkslvrwolf   Email qkslvrwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreement on Fiona off the thistle program. I love that show, when I get a chance to listen to it.

I also had an English friend, once, and yeah...everytime I even think about her voice, which was a rich alto with a normal, "neutral" english accent...I just want to curl up in a ball and rest my head on her lap (which is 3000 miles and 2 more recent boyfriends impossible, I'm afraid...)

As for men's voices, its not just iness...If a man has a deep, rich voice, I'm more likely to listen to what he's saying...especially if he also knows how to speak well. Its not just about their voice...if I can't understand them because they're mumbling or not enunciating (as happens so often here in teh south), then their voice loses all power.

What I don't understand is that the recordings I've heard of many famous speakers (FDR, Churchill, etc.) don't have particulary nice voices...whats up with that?

One last note: James Earl Jones has got the most badass voice in history. When he read Edgar Allen Poe at the beginning of "under a moon" (computer game)...it still gives me shivers. I would...do many bad things for his voice. Not that mines bad, you understand.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, my voice sometimes is really sexy. I have a low voice, and if I talk quietly, it rumbles. I have been told by several women that, when I do talk softly, it makes them tremble. My male friends, on the other hand, go "what did you just say?"

On the other side of that, I have never had an experience where a woman's voice turned me on. Maybe I am not as receptive to sound as some of my female friends? Maybe lower voices are more evocative then higher pitched voices? I don't know. I think women may be more sensitive to the lower registers then men, and its quite possible it is those low registers that carry the greatest "sex appeal."

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tancath
Member # 5769

- posted      Profile for tancath   Email tancath         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember once talking on the phone to my husband's collegue. It was a very deep, beautiful voice. Some time later, I found out the guy was a horrible, ugly, completely uninteresting litlle nothing! Deceiving!
Posts: 34 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't help thinking of Dune when I saw this thread. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Donnie Darko at Celia's last night. If Frank's voice isn't sexy I don't know what is. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody with a scottish or irish accent. [Big Grin] I love it, it's so cool!

to name a few:
Billy Boyd
Sean Connery
Mel Gibson (australian is close enough [Wink] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.