FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boy's Costume Catches Fire at School

Author Topic: Boy's Costume Catches Fire at School
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A high school student suffered severe burns after his Army sniper costume of leaves and a grass-like material was set on fire by a classmate during a Halloween assembly Thursday, police said.
quote:
"This is just a prank gone horrifically wrong," Page said.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031030/ap_on_re_us/student_burned

Impressive. The kid got the cop to use the "boys will be boys" defense for him. Man, I hate stupid people. And unless that comment is clarified, I'd be calling for his resignation.

Then again, maybe I'm overreacting.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sick of these stupid people.
quote:
The boy was remorseful and said he never intended for anyone to be hurt, Page said.
STUPID! What do you think happens when you start someone on fire?
I am trying REALLY hard not to swear and scream, some people are just so stupid, they never think that the things they do could cause harm.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla,

What do you DO all day besides browse the on-line news for interesting tidbits?
[Wink]
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't the end of my rant, but I don't think the rest is appropriate for anybody to read.
*bites tongue really hard*

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Farmgirl, um, nothing?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I want your life, then..

[ROFL]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
She applies for membership to the Priory of Sion on a daily basis, and I think that takes up most of her time.
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Shhh. Nobody is supposed to know about that!
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
At least when I play with fire I don't endanger others. Did you know that different salts look really cool when you put them into a flame?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubusdriver
Member # 5846

- posted      Profile for cubusdriver           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, all this shows is that this school, like so many others in the United States has continued to fail to even attempt to make their facilities safe, even after the events of Columbine and many other schools. Schools need to crack down on hazing such as this like a school did in my area after multiple incidents. After all, if even slight hazing is permitted in schools then some students may be hurt when others lack the ability to comprehend the difference between a minor prank (such as a water balloon) versus a major prank (such as lighting your fellow classmate on fire).
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Moron
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
cubusdriver:

I need to send this article to the principal of our local Junior High. May I also include your post? IMHO, it is the perfect summation that this loser needs to hear.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
By the time someone gets to high school, setting someone on fire is a little more than a "harmless prank". "Boys will be boys", my furry tail end.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids are stupid. Who'da thunk.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can lay this at the feet of the school, cubusdriver? If schools can't even keep guns and knives out of school, how can they keep tiny disposable lighters and matches out of kid's hands? This arsonist was a moron, plain and simple.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this kid. The victim's life will never be the same. I think 'sorry' doesn't quite cut it.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, there were ten people missing from my government class today, the administration asked them not to come because their names were on a hit list. And there were policemen patrolling the hallways pretending to be substitute teachers. And I go to a really good school, we don't generally have problems like this.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, you stick a lighter to leaves and twigs and expect them not to burn?

Interesting: He was dressed as a n army sniper. Do you think there was something, I dunno, anti-war or somethig in this? Or am I reading too much into it?

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the parents have to pay for some of the damages done. I find detention centers useless. I also think that the student's curiosity should be patient and limited.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This kid should suffer severe consequences, and his family should pay the victim's heavy compensation.
The victim's life, as has been pointed out already, will never be "teh" same again.

[Kiss]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that you all jump right to the conclusion that the kid is a 'moron'?

Kids make mistakes, so do adults, try to show some understanding. Punish the child, but do not insult him.

[ November 23, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Desu ]

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.