FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where's My Medal? Seriously.

Author Topic: Where's My Medal? Seriously.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Today is the third anniversary of the day when I didn't leave Andrew at the altar. A lot of people lost a lot of money on that one.

Sure, I'm getting a present from him and our parents sent us cards and we're going to see Revolutions, but I just don't think that's enough. Getting married was a huge step for me - one I didn't ever think I'd be able to take. Between growing up in a broken and dysfunctional home, breaking off two prior engagements, and loving my single life, the odds were against my becoming anyone's bride.

Only an extraordinary man, of superior intelligence, wit, kindness, and integrity could have gotten me to take the plunge. I am very lucky and thankful that one came along.

I know that y'all are going to say that that is reward enough, but y'all are wrong. I want to be carried on a litter through the streets while everyone cheers and throws flowers. I will be dressed in a spectacular Zac Posen gown, which will never be worn again by anyone. Young Mr. Posen will destroy the pattern. Harry Winston will provide the diamonds, of course. We will end the procession at a historic monument where President Bush will present me with my medal and deliver an address praising my marriage. We will then all proceed to the grand ball, which will last well into the night.

Is that really so much to ask?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]

I declare a Hatrack Day of Homage to Mrs. M's marriage. Diamonds preferred attire, semi-precious stones acceptable if worn in the right chic attitude.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
[Hail]
Will I have a medal too if I marry Vincent in May ?

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
For only three years? Hah. Why doesn't he get a parade, he had to live with you. You married a saint, so married life would be easy. He married you, so he has had all the hard work. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I should hire you to plan our wedding. Destroy the pattern, indeed!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

You don't get a medal the first year, silly. You get a plaque, presented by the governor of your state.

BTW, the pattern will be burned as part of the opening festivities, which will also include the Bedecking, in which all members of the retinue will be showered in jewels.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Will the groom also be doing the traditional breakaway pants ceremony, in which the pants he's forced to wear are converted into shorts in the blink of an eye?

A very solemn occasion, indeed....

(and congratulations, by the way! [Wink] )

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Mrs. M I think Wall Street should throw a ticker tape parade just for you!

Ayelar,
Are you actually planning a wedding or just speculating on it? Is this new news?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I'll bump the thread for you, Banna! [Smile]
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
::cheers and throws flowers::

[The Wave]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
[Hail]
::Toss Flowers::
[Hail]
[Hail]
::Toss Flowers::

(edited because I probably stuck my foot in my mouth again.)

[ November 05, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Thanks, Dan! I could very well be wrong, but it stirred up something in the fluffy corners of my mind. [Smile] )

[ November 05, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, happy anniversary! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] A 1000 times over!

I reluctantly married myself, and I left before the first year was up. [Blushing] Love the single life indeed . . .

[Hail] keep up the hard, fruitful and most excellent work!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anyone here very well yet, Mrs. M., but congratulations. You deserve it. [Smile]

[The Wave]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Mrs M. : true Vincent and I are not married yet, but in May when we will be married we will have lived together since three years [Smile]

[ November 06, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
President Bush will present me with my medal
(bold are mines)
Wait... He can keep mine. [Big Grin]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Hey y'all. I've been away for a while, due to lots of out-of-town company. Thank you all so much for your good wishes. Even though I didn't get my parade or my medal, we had a very nice anniversary. I didn't even freak out about being married for so long.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there will be no parade next year. I'm thinking Marc Jacobs for the parade and presentation wear and one of the Chanel wunderkinds for the ball. There can never be anyone but Harry Winston for the jewels, but maybe pink diamonds for the ladies.

quote:
Diamonds preferred attire, semi-precious stones acceptable if worn in the right chic attitude.
CT, it's uncanny how well you understand me.

quote:
Why doesn't he get a parade, he had to live with you. You married a saint, so married life would be easy. He married you, so he has had all the hard work.
msquared, you're confused. He married the saint. However, he and anyone else who is so inclined my spend the majority of the ball in a room with a tricked-out home theater and an assortment of buffalo wings and other unhealthy snacks. The theater will be showing only Monty Python and Star Trek and no one (not even me) will complain until you turn it off.

quote:
I should hire you to plan our wedding
Do you mean it, Ayelar? I'm in.

quote:
I think Wall Street should throw a ticker tape parade just for you!
Banna, you're right. They should.

Thanks Megachirops, Dan, MyrddinFrye, and Shan!

Anna, of course President Bush wouldn't present your medal. It would be some French dude. Or maybe Jerry Lewis.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Oh, and Eduardo, I hope you'll lead the Brazilian delegation in the festivities.
Anna
Member # 2582

I don't even know who I would like to present me my medal. Not our president. So... Any ideas, people ?
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the entire male cast from LOTR?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Oh, I would be happy with only the man who played the chief elf who comes to the rescue of the fortress in LOTR 2... [Big Grin]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I missed this the first time around. Congratulations on your anniversary, Mrs. M!!!

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, Ela.

quote:
Oh, I would be happy with only the man who played the chief elf who comes to the rescue of the fortress in LOTR 2
That's Haldir, played by Craig Parker. And no hot actors. It has to be some stodgy official or at least someone unattractive.
Anna
Member # 2582

Too bad. Then I would have chosen the guy playing Dumbledore in the first and second Harry Potter, but, sadly, it's not possible. [Frown] So I guess I will live without a medal, after all [Wink]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Mrs (and Mr) M.

This is the sort of occasion that literally brings the world to a halt. If only for that briefest of moments all is right with the world, everywhere, at the exact instant of your anniversary.

Sure, things go straight to heck afterwards in a frenetic rush to make up for lost time, but that's not your doing, now is it? You give us all an excuse to be in love with the world again. And we thank you for it.

Now...where's my bubbly and slice of cake?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.