FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The only two movies Eddie's actually looking forward to in the coming 8 months...

Author Topic: The only two movies Eddie's actually looking forward to in the coming 8 months...
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone who's seen The Matrix: Revolutions has, presumably, seen the preview for Troy. It's the only propaganda for the movie I've seen thus far, but considering my love affair with Greek mythology, the movie has me wetting my pants. Jesus, it looks good. Orlando Bloom returns to the epic film in Troy, and the very fact that Brad Pitt's in the movie endears it to me (I've had a bit of a heterosexual crush on Pitt ever since the glory that is Fight Club). It looks like a real live well-funded and glossy retelling of The Iliad -- maybe there'll be a sequel of The Odyssey? I gotta say, for just one preview, I'm awfully worked up over this one.

The second, of course, is Return of the King. This promises to be the best thus far (not hard, considering the intellectual but actionless FotR and crowd-pleasing, mindless action of TTT), with actual progress with the Frodo/Sam story in addition to the biggest, baddest battles to date. Hopefully without the mind-numbing qualities of the TTT battles. I'm this close to buying tickets to that all-day LotRfest, if there are any left to purchase. Are there any SoCalers going to one of those showings, if anyone wants to tip the scales a bit?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

And, heh, yes, the point of this thread was for Eddie to inquire about any other movies he should care about. Is there any hope for us, beyond Troy, after RotK rolls around? Timeline looks like another cheap Crichton adaption, probably directed by Spielburg or some other moron, and the only other film that sticks with me is some idiotic Ben Stiller movie.

The Day After Tomorrow looks like it has potential, but I'd have to see more about it than pretty special-effects shots to care about it.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the thrilling conclusion to the Legally Blonde trilogy?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
wouldn't that be super fun?
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Eh. You already know what'll happen. She'll grow intellectually dissatisfied with her work and start moonlighting as a hooker. Then the thrilling conclusion will be her ironic death at the hands of another Congressman.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What we really need is "When Harry Met Sally II."
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(I'm waiting to see if this makes sense to sleep-deprived Frisco)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have something to do with a threesome?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Sure! [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo, fly me over. I'm having the same respone to Troy. [Wink] No one else understands.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreNME
Member # 3401

- posted      Profile for GreNME   Email GreNME         Edit/Delete Post 
You should have heard me in the theater when I saw the Troy preview (and I even knew it was coming). I simply can't wait to see it.

I suggest looking into The Last Samurai, Eddie. It may seem a little hokey in name, but everything I've seen on it points to it having very high potential. It doesn't look like something to blow people's socks away by being innovative with brand-spanking-new camera effects or trying to hide under the guise of being an "all-new, never been done" plot, but it looks extremely well made and stylistically solid. I don't know if you saw the movie preview, but check out TheLastSamurai.com for more info.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I heart Troy! They didn't have the trailer in the theater I saw TM:Rev in, but I saw the "world premiere" of it on Entertainment Tonight. I nearly choked on my dinner, it looked so good.

As for an Odyssey sequel, that would be fun. And I totally believe Sean Bean could handle it - he is, after all, playing Odysseus in Troy.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Bean must be bowed down too for all eternity. Did you know that he has to mention the word sharp in every movie that he makes? It is because of his love for the series (17 Movies) about the irish soldier in ther napolionic wars Sharp.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Troy definately had my attention. When does it come out? Hopefully, not after I leave for my mission.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
May 2004, I believe. Hopefully there'll be a premiere in Greece. That would be cool. For me, at least [Smile]

Edit to add link: Troy

[ November 09, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any of the trailers for Troy, but now I definitely want to.

But there is one movie I'm looking foreward to, coming in just over 8 months: I, Robot. I haven't seen any promos for it yet, but I have high hopes.

I know, some of you will say it won't be good because it's starring Will Smith. Well, I know that he can pull out a really great performance if he wants to, so I'm just going to wait and see.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IndexCard
Member # 4585

- posted      Profile for IndexCard   Email IndexCard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that, if 'Sylvia' ever gets to Riverside (since it just made it to Pasadena, where Danny is), it will be the onlt movie I look forward to seeing.
Posts: 219 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it say about me when the most exciting movie in this thread to me is I, Robot?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, Sean Bean. Yum.
He's a great actor. That's what I meant. *coughs*

But really, there do look to be some good movies coming out next year. Better than this year, anyway. It's nice to see that they're still making some movies that aren't bad sequels to good originals. I'm really looking forward to 'I’ Robot' too, as long as they haven't made it a comedy just because of Will Smith.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually contemplating creating a thread for Troy. I had no idea it was coming, but the moment I saw it and heard the voice over, I knew what it was. That opening sequence alone would make me want to see it, who cares that I love that whole area of the world and the history around it. Who cares that I will stop what I am doing to watch shows about the ancient world on the History channel. Of course Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt have nothing to do with me wanting to see this movie as well. [Big Grin]

Annie, you are not alone on that one. I, Robot was one of the first science fiction books I ever read. I'd forgotten that they planned to make a movie about it. Yay for Hatrack.

I, personally, would like to see how they get Rendezvous with Rama filmed (if ever). Apparently, Morgan Freeman has wanted to get it filmed for a long while now. The whole scope of that project seems herculean. (Yes, I am aware they can do amazing things with CGI and computers... just look at what they did with Keanu. [Evil] ) It's just that everytime I read that book, I get a sense of vertigo thinking of the scope of Rama. It would be amazing to actually see that outside... well outside of the inside of my head.

Can't wait for ROTK though. Damn them hobbitses... they were the start of all of this madness and obsession.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Spider-Man 2 is apparently coming to Theaters in July, which is *practically* 8 months. So if you liked the first one, you might like that, even though we haven't seen any trailers for it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

SOMEONE ELSE HAS READ Rendezvous with Rama!!!!!!! [Party]

I loved that book. But, actually, I loved the books after it in the series more, but it is sooooo good! [The Wave]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that Rendezvous with Rama would translate all that well to film. It would take a very special director and script, and would likely fail even if it was done well. Too bad. [Frown]
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

i have yet to read 'i, robot' only because the library doesn't usually have it in, and i am too broke to buy it. now i'll take some extreme measures to get it read by the time the movie comes out. i did want to share this. having not read the book and not knowing what year it's supposed to be, i don't know if it's that cool, but i love that they've still got papa johns. [Big Grin]

[ November 09, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Then I must create it myself!

*goes off to the nearest studio*

fiazko
Member # 5812

hey, nobody mentioned the fact that in 'troy' the hotties--i mean, great actors are showing leg!

(ladies, do we need to resurrect the unabashed fandom thread?)

actually, though not the insane fan of odyssey-type stuff, the casting does look impressive, and i will pay attention to more than bare legs.

[edit to add link]

[ November 10, 2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.