FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They cancelled it?!

Author Topic: They cancelled it?!
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
They cancelled Boomtown!
Why?
That was coming close to being my favouritest show after ER. I really hate how American networks do this all the time. In England we seem to get endless new seasons of low budget TV shows that everyone hates and no-one watches, so we rely on American shows for quality TV. And then they cancel your favourite show. AAARRRGH. [Mad]

Sorry, I'm ranting. But really, if they cancel ER or CSI, I'm throwing my TV out of the window and giving up.

What was your favourite show ever that got cancelled before the evil networks gave it a chance to shine?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Friends
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh - unless they cancel CSI, I'm throwing my TV out the window and giving up. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Automan with Desi Arnaz, Jr.

Police Squad

There was a sitcom that focused on a mexican family in LA or someplace like that, that lasted for like six episodes that I really enjoyed, but I can't remember the title.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Family Guy!!!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
X-Files...

Wait, I thought you said "Favourite TV show that should have got cancelled after it stopped shining".

I'll try again...

Northern Exposure... Damn. Wrong again... [Wink]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, this is going to date me as well as Carbon 14 would, but when I was growing up, and at a particularly impressionable phase of adolescence, NBC was causing havoc with my young psycheng by putti hour long dramas on friday nights that were incredibly 80's, and incredibly cool, and then they would pull them, put on another show that I desperately wanted to hate, but ended up loving, and which they would in turn then cancel.

As I recall, it started with "The Master," a show about a ninja who was being trained by an old ninja guy. So they cancelled that, and put on what ended up being my favorite show ever, "Misfits of Science," which featured a pre-hyphenated Courtney Cox as the cutest telekinetic in the entire world, and some guy as "Johnny B," who could shoot lightning bolts out of his hands and run real fast. And this other guy who could shrink by pushing on the back of his neck. And of course, the Dad from Alf.

So of course, to ruin that weekly evening of nirvana, they cancelled it. They went though a bunch of stuff--"V" the television series, and this show I can't remember the name of but that involved pyramids and time travel (I remember the pyramid had something to do with the pyramid with the eye on it on the one dollar bill).

Eventually, ABC put "Sledge Hammer" on friday nights, and kept it on for two years, and I managed to find enough continuity in my young life to eventually develop a life and find other things to do than watch TV.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
and this show I can't remember the name of but that involved pyramids and time travel (I remember the pyramid had something to do with the pyramid with the eye on it on the one dollar bill).
Otherworld . . . not time travel, but alternate Earths.

One of Cor's favorite premature cancellations.

So this dates you, eh? Great. Guess we must be antedeluvian.

[Angst] [Grumble]

[ November 09, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i remember 'v'. i remember that it was much cooler when i was too young to notice how dreadful it really was.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
You rely on America for quality television?

And yes, Family Guy was one of the very few gems to emerge from this entertainment industry. It was, naturally, destroyed asap by Fox. Only their news gets to be offensive and make people laugh.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As I recall, it started with "The Master," a show about a ninja who was being trained by an old ninja guy. So they cancelled that, and put on what ended up being my favorite show ever, "Misfits of Science," which featured a pre-hyphenated Courtney Cox as the cutest telekinetic in the entire world

Two things: First, I liked "The Master" also when it came on. But I was much more impressed by the two episodes of MST3K that mocked a total of four episodes of The Master. Those were some of my favorite episodes. I can't believe Lee Van Cleef was cast as a ninja. [ROFL] Second, I love that you used the word "pre-hyphenated". What a great word.

Speaking of MST3K and the '80s... Did anyone see the first Mike Nelson episode of MST3K when the robots were running Mike through bad movie drills.

Crow: What do you say when you see Marc Singer in a loincloth?
Mike: Now I know why the show was called "V".

[ROFL] again.

(in case any of you are uneducated in the ways of '80s culture, Marc Singer was the main character in both "V" and the "Beastmaster" movies. Now that I've sucked all the humor from the joke by explaining it...)

[ November 10, 2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, America is where it's at TV wise, especially for comedy these days. Do you get 'Monarch of the Glen' over there? It's mind numbingly awful, and it's just an example of the awfulness of practically everything. There's just not the budget to make good shows. The only half decent show BBC make (decent stories anyway) is this one about MI5, and it's like a low budget 24. The walls on the set wobble. British TV is officially dead
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Crow: What do you say when you see Marc Singer in a loincloth?
Mike: Now I know why the show was called "V".

I caught the reference . . .

. . . but I don't get it.

[Angst]

::burninates Speed for making me feel dumb::

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Megachirops, I wish to make it official: You rock. Do you know how long I've been looking for something like this?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

And Speed, I actually did not know that they had MST3K'd The Master. I had seen the episode you refer to, though, and [ROFL] at it as well.

I hope that before I die, I will be wise enough to obscure refrences to get every joke on that show.

Or maybe I don't.

Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, the Brits probably only see American television that is at least marginally successful. This may lead to a mistaken impression that American TV is generally very good, while British TV is generally inferior. The thing is, American TV has some real stinkers as well. It's just that these shows (mercifully) don't make it beyond our shores. It's almost a quantity vs. quality issue--given that we have such a massive volume of money and attention devoted to television, decent programs are bound to come out every now and then.

Also, keep in mind that shows occasionally cross the pond in the other direction, with varying levels of success. I seem to recall that many of our reality shows are based on British ideas, and some of the older comedies get airtime on public television. (I watch Are You Being Served? on PBS fairly often . . .) Shows like Absolutely Fabulous and Monty Python's Flying Circus also have brisk DVD sales here in the states.

I think where America really comes ahead are with some of the cable dramas, particularly on HBO. A few years back HBO decided that they were going to come out with original programming that might not even be directly profitable, but would establish HBO as the channel that viewers cannot be without. I think this strategy has worked very well, because their shows are widely viewed as some of the best on television. The fact that they were willing to make the superb series Band of Brothers is very telling. Where but the United States could a series like that be made for television?

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
This one will date me:

Star Trek - the original series.

Since then, most of the shows I've liked a lot (or I thought showed promise) that have gotten cancelled have been in the past few years:

The Invisible Man
Farscape
Miracles
Veritas
Firefly
John Doe
The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne

See a pattern here? [Mad]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Futurama did get a chance to shine...but it did shine! And they still cancelled it!

And yeah, Family Guy too.

And The PJs too.

And Invader Zim.

[ November 09, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sad when Firefly was cancelled. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I caught the reference . . .

. . . but I don't get it.

Trogdor:

Picture yourself wandering the desert in the summer of 1984. Suddenly a portal opens to a strange and distand land. You step through. On the other side is The Beastmaster and all of his beast friends. He beckons you to follow him, and you willingly oblige. As the miles wear on, you cannot help noticing his spectacularly tan and muscular body, glistening with sweat. Even you, heterosexual though you may be, find your eyes drifting down to rest upon the gluteal region. There you see his one scrap of clothing, a leopard skin loincloth. It's riding up ever so slightly. Close your eyes, find that image in your mind, and see if you can find a connection to a certain letter of the alphabet.

Hope that helps. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Firefly. But the DVD is coming out soon!
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Sports Night and undergrads

Oh and since its been mentioned. MST3K

[ November 10, 2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: prolixshore ]

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see anyone list Dark Angel. Was I alone in loving that series? Was I the only who who was angry when I realized it had just up and disapeared?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In defence of British Television, if American TV is so great, how come we keep stealing British shows and putting our names on them.

What shows?

Trading Spaces
Who's Line Is It Anyway.
Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
The Weakest Link
Junkyard Wars
Robot Wars
Coupling
and that little show that almost killed all good US T.V.--Survivor

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
Coupling
Um, not exactly, since Coupling was admittedly a rip-off of Friends.

The irony is that they ripped off one of our shows, and then we ripped it off back!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I remember watching Otherworld, but I'm only 23. Don't think you're that old... or I am. <sighs>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past year, three shows that I've thought were very good have been cancelled:

Hidden Hills: A little repetitive, perhaps, but it made me laugh, and I liked the format.

Dragnet: The only cop show that I've ever been interested in watching on a weekly basis.

The Brotherhood of Poland, NH: What really irritated me about this was that it was a quality show and I strongly believe that the only reason it didn't get ratings is because its target audience was already asleep by the time it came on.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Keen Eddie
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly got hosed by Fox.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.