FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life's Most Frustrating Moments

Author Topic: Life's Most Frustrating Moments
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so this isn't the most uplifting topic for my return to Hatrack, but it does fulfill the purpose of purging myself of some recent frustrations. The purpose of this thread is to get the things that are bothering or annoying you most onto the internet (and out of your system). Here are a couple of my most recent annoyances...

1. As many of you know, Icarus and I have been pursuing the elusive million point Disney cruise over at Who Wants to be a Millionaire at MGM Studios. The other day I got in the hot seat and went all the way to the million point question...and missed it!!!!! Who cares when the microwave oven was patented, anyway?!! (Icarus did the same thing about six months ago!)

2. I went to see my favorite musical, Starlight Express, last weekend. They've changed it...again. Cut songs, cut characters...it was nearly incoherent. Icarus hated it. Sigh. I loved it in London.

3. I'm one of six nominees as my school's choice for the teacher of the year candidate. It's a wonderful honor...that involves me writing an essay, competing agaisnt one of my best friends, and a whole pile of general butt-kissing. Oh well. Things could certainly be worse. Remember, this thread is for MINOR annoyances. [Smile]

[ November 09, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Cor ]

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
never kiss anyone's butt. you're better than that.

i work in a hospital. i have no medical experience. as far as the doctors and nurses are concerned, i am merely a nuisance when it comes to the patients even though they need me to get the patient registered so that they can order labs and such. i am not a doctor because i chose not to be, not because i lack the intelligence. that is my minor annoyance for now.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I should've posted my RenFaire rant here.

Oh well.

Cor, it's nice to see you here at Hatrack. I honestly can't understand how they can decide on a teacher of the year when each kid experiences so few of the teachers. I'm sure there's more to it than whatever the kids have to say, but it just seems odd. Oh well, I think you are a great teacher and I haven't taken ANY of your classes.

[Big Grin]

Sorry about the cruise. So, when was the stupid microwave oven patented? I'm guessing the early 1960's or late 1950's.

Sorry that Starlight Express was such a disappointment. I know how much you were looking forward to it. And what a drag it is to talk it up and then have it turned into a dud.

Do they still use rollerskates at least or did they just have people run around a lot? [Razz]

I thought of you and Icarus on Saturday. I was scouring the used furniture/antique stores to see if I could find some furniture I liked better than the stuff I'm thinking of buying. I saw some olde-tyme games that you might've liked. Unfortunately they were missing pieces and they were so unfamiliar that they probably would've been tough to "fix" for actual use (as in, you'd have to make up some of the missing cards and how would you know what to put on them?) Oh well, there's one Christmas present idea shot to hell.

Oh, what's my minor annoyance? I have ONE LAST BOX to unpack and I can't seem to find the time to do it. Of course, I'm sitting here typing on Hatrack, but that's different.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Cor)))))
1. Oh no! (When was it, anyway?)
2. [Razz]
3. Don't you hate "honor"s they want you to WORK for? Ah well, at least there's an upside. Congrats on the nomination.

I recently discovered that some people I thought were open and accepting weren't nearly as much so as I thought. Having beliefs that are important to me dismissed as unenlightened or "unhealthy" is rather painful.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

Hmm..since you all are curious, it was patented in 1950. Bob, I thought along the same lines as you did and picked 1954. Sigh.

Yes, they still use rollerskates in Starlight, but the racing scenes aren't done live. They're done in 3D film complete with those uncomfortable paper 3D glasses. Grrr...

Oh, and the nomination came from a fellow teacher. The official representative is chosen by staff, not students. I still don't know who gave me the honor, though.

Fiazko, I know what you mean. Many people assume teachers are teachers because they can't do anything else. They wonder what kind of moron would actually CHOOSE to be a teacher. Well, I guess I'm just that kind of moron. Sigh.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cor blimey! You were on Who Wants to be a Millionaire!

They've changed Starlight Express? So many assassinations, so little time.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

Not the real one, dear, just the Disney MGM Studios version. It'a a gameshow type attraction with real prizes - a Disney cruise for the million point winners...but no money. My husband, father-in-law, and I have made it our personal hobby.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Well, your fifteen minutes are over. Or never happened.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
People who ask me for paper and plastic.
And some stupid woman cursed at me today! For no reason! I was so angry I growled at her. She's lucky she was in one of those stupid cart things or I would have... [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Minor annoyances . . . like Phobos still not updating their website, at the very least to give us a new estimated announcement date?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
people playing loudly in the pool below my study window: while I'm stuck up here working!

(bad luck on the million points... i've tried the online version and never got above the $125 000 question.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cor, great to see ya again. [Smile]

Minor rants? Um...

My stupid (they are only stupid because they did this) neighbors complained about me beating the snot out of that tree in the back yard with my baseball bat. No more tree whacking for me... no more stress relief whacking. Ya, I do want you to take that out of context.

All other rants are reserved for private occassions. [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have four midterms and a whole bunch of other homework this week. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Life.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have laryngitis. I'm not sure because it's kind of on-and-off.. that's bad as it is. But I also have a meeting with my advisor tomorrow afternoon and an interview on tuesday. Important meetings where I probably won't be able to say much even though I'm the reason for the meeting. I'm going to try rescheduling my interview and make due with my advising appointment.

O, I have classes where I hafta talk tomorrow too.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
When Homestar Runner doesn't update, or updates with something I don't really care about.

Christmas commercials.

A person who cursed me (and I don't mean swear words...I mean they waved a fake wand in my direction, and muttered some nonsensical phrase) for walking on their confounded grass. Which was already dead, by the way.

Those freakin' people who try to for PC-fulness on everybody else.

Futurama's cancellation.

People who switch lanes during a left-hand turn.

Those dried out bugars that won't come out with anything but the finger.

The lack of snow, tied with the presence of cold weather and a cloudy sky.

Uh, that's all I got right now.

[ November 09, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Cor, Starlight Express is one of my favorites too! I've only seen it once...and that was in London nearly 20 years ago. But I had the soundtrack and used to LOVE to drive to it. Not good music for traffic, but lots of fun on the open road. I'm sorry to hear they changed it...I'd be annoyed too.

Bummer about the near win. How long do you have to wait before you can play again?

My minor annoyance: Children who wake up at 3:30am and think that it's morning. *grumble and yawn* Rainbow and I got to watch Hello Dolly! and play on the floor early this morning together. I think I'm going to spend my lunch hour napping.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
How about having to waste a whole weekend of Millionaire eligibility because they're having soap opera themed shows to coincide with Super Soaps Weekend?!

[Grumble]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have minor annoyances, I've got major ones, but I think I think of a few minor ones...

A not being back so we can go to dinner. [Razz]
My parents calling three times in a night so they can yell at me (literally) then hang up before I can reply.
My fiancee being states away (but we're in the same time zone now, so I'm not complaining)
My friends assuming the reason that I'm engaged is because I'm pregnant. [Grumble] Glad they know me.

After that, it just goes downhill...

edit: A walked in the door WHEN I POSTED IT.

[ November 10, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
My parents calling three times in a night so they can yell at me (literally) then hang up before I can reply.
Heh. My mother used to do this.

*pat pat*

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Caller ID
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Hey Bob, I'd love to chat or talk with you sometime . . .

[Smile]

[ November 10, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.