FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Elf Examination

Author Topic: An Elf Examination
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Went thinking it would be a great movie to just pass a night away with. Actually, I found it to be well worth going to see.

Though some people find Will Farrell to be incredibly nerdy, I find him to usually give me a chuckle (though not on my top list of funny-men in Hollywood). I guess it's because Nerd Do, Nerd Laugh, or something like that.

It's not because Elf is incredibly new in the sense of Christmas stories, but that it keeps being funny in the story, and it's clean humor, something I have an admiration of (I love I Love Lucy... there, I said it). And while it keeps that sense of humor, it doesn't go overboard with the cutesy cheesey stuff, not to say that it doesn't have it's moments, because it does have it's fair share but mostly towards the end.

The plot is pretty predictable, but it didn't side track the laughs that I got out of the movie.

So, if you are in the mood for some good clean laughs, then go check out Elf.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd really like to see it, but I just can't stand Will Farrell. He's always played the lowest end of the comedy spectrum with moderate success at best. A good, clean comedy, though, would be welcome.

And yep, I love I Love Lucy, too.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet but my wife went last night with a friend of hers and she loved it. She said the same thing, a good clean family movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love I Love Lucy... there, I said it
You rock.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like I Love Lucy. Maybe I'm putting modern values on an old show, but while I can see how funny Lucy is (and the novelty of having a beautiful woman be slapstick), it usually isn't funny to me.

I just saw one where Lucy overhead a conversation where it sounded like Ricky was going to kill her. The rest of the show was her dodging his hugs and having dramatic reactions to what she thought was poison. She was melodramatic and had great timing, but it just wasn't funny to me at all. On the other hand, I'm not real fond of the humor that depends on no one having three minute conversations that could clear up everything.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I don't know if I love Lucy but I have a fond memory. I can only remember crying over a movie/tv show twice. Once when snoppy left Charlie brown to find his original owner, and the second time was when Lucy missed a boat she was supposed to be on. I was a strange child.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

So... back to Elf...

(Gee... one mention of I Love Lucy and you have a side discussion... [Wink] )

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Oh yea, ELF... looks good, want to see it.

In fact Will Farrell is the reason I want to see it. I see a lot of people dog his acting chops but I've always found him to be pretty funny. Maybee I just have a simple mind, but either way he has actually recieved good reviews for his role so.. all and all ELF looks good.

katharina
Member # 827

Um... I'm not real fond of Will Farrel, but that's from *shamefaced* Zoolander. Will this annoy me?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Depends. What exactly annoyed you about him in Zoolander?
katharina
Member # 827

The hair, the voice, the stilted walk, the visible strains of the attempt to be cool, the big staring eyes that was supposed to convey madness but instead looked like my brother at nine when he was trying to threaten me.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I haven't seen ZooLander but I know what your talking about. there are times when he tries a little too hard, but I think this is part of the fun in his roles. He is always willing to go over the top and make a complete butt of himself. That with the fact that he kind of reminds me of the mentally challenged kid next store who's really good hearted but a just bit off.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I've always found Will Farrel to be very difficult to watch. Somehow he...disgusts me. When I don't have control over the TV and he's on, I find myself cringing, and when he's on and I do have control over the TV, I change the channel fairly quickly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

The Hair- ugh, totally agree with you there. I hated it. It was a bad attempt at a 'misunderstood fashion genius'. In this, he is usually always wearing his hat, but when he isn't it's his normal hair that you always see him with out of character.

The Voice- In Elf, it's more optimistical (well, he is playing a man raised by elves) and more normal than that high pitched voice he did in Zoolander.

Stilted walk- didn't pay attention to his walk in Zoolander so I can't quite compare.

The eyes- again, playing an elf, so more optimistical and light (which I think he did a good job of). Those eyes in Zoolander were horrible in the context of madness, which is why I found them funny.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

speaking of fahion genius...

His skits he did on SNL where he was the ultra hip manager at an upscale clothing shop, the ones where he rode the scooter, had the microscopic cell phone and the goofy black hair and glasses, were freaking histerical. Even if you hate him you have to admit those were pretty funny.

zeroemus
Member # 3169

- posted      Profile for zeroemus           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that skit. I mourn its death.

Every time they had a skit like that, the only comedian who could go through that skit without breaking character and laughing was Will Farrell. Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon always broke down.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
ELF was funny and entertaining and sweet and though it's probably more from my exagerrated emotional state then anything about the movie in particular, i found myself crying about it on the ride home. I miss the sweet movies that don't rely on hidden sexual innuendo and gross-out jokes to sell them. Elf was gorgeously done for a children's movie meant to also be entertaining to an adult. It was cute. I loved it. I would see it again.

I can't wait for Christmas.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, zero, i totally agree. i am not a huge will farrell fan, in fact i can rarely stand to watch SNL anymore, but i caught a great episode where he did the manager/scooter bit.
in this one he pulled out the HUGE cellphone and was like "big, it's the new small" and then flew away to a party with his prada jetpack.

it was *hilarious*.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon always broke down.
Horatio Sanz breaks down in every sketch he's in. He can be a funny guy, but I think lately most of his skits consist of him saying something in a really weird voice and acting like he's trying not to laugh. It's funny once or twice, then it seems like an excuse for not writing actual jokes.

As for Elf... I haven't seen it. I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan, and I thought the trailers for this movie looked really irritating, as most Christmas movies are. (perhaps I'll have to start a thread about whether there are actually any good Christmas movies, but I'll wait until December). Elf is getting some good reviews, which surprises me. Maybe I'll have to go see it.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Would you choose Elf over Matrix Revolutions? (Having not seen either of them or heard reviews)

My brother did. I haven't decided about his sanity yet.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I feel slightly disappointed that no one has commented on the thread title...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think I'm going to make a dobie of it if that will make you feel better. [Smile] Heeheh. (Sorry aka, you know I love you.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Fallon breaks down in every skit he is in as well. Stupid.

::mourns for SNL::

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.