FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow. I can't believe this

Author Topic: Wow. I can't believe this
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
two things, I cannot believe. One, I'm part of a team. Two-I just won.

Background, and I'm pretty sleep deprived, so I'm sorry if it lacks sense. I joined the speech and debate team at LSU. It's been great, all the people are nice, and they're a lot of fun. But I'm actually part of a team now, and it's such a new thing, and really good. It's really energizing to actually care about how your team members do, and have them care about how you do....I really don't know the words, but this whole team thing is great, and I can't believe I'm actually a PART of a team, rather than someone who is nominally on a team, but isn't really a part of it.

Point two that I can't believe. We just went to a tournament, my second college tournament ever, and my first time trying individual college debate, we practice and usually compete in two person, but my partner couldn't come. And it was a faily big tournament, with six preliminary rounds and then quarter finals and semi finals and finals. I won. first place. I made it to quarter finals with four wins and two losses, and then...won all the other rounds. And in finals, I won against a guy who had won every other round before me. So, happiness. And thank yous, cause a LOT of my rounds a large part of my winning was random things I'd read here, and random things from conversations with friends from here, or with my family. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love yall!

[ November 10, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

[Party]

[The Wave]

[Party]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
What did you debate about with the person to get first place, and what stance did you have to (or choose to) take?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
you change topics every round, and get thirty minutes from the time you get the topic to the time the debate begins. The last round, our topic was "this house would shuffle the cards"
I got to be the one interpretting it, and since I'd heard he was really big on topicality arguments, I tried to keep a really close tie, and was debating that the elementary and middle schools should have year round school, with the summer holidays being distributed throughout the year. I don't know whether i think it would really work, but I was able to debate it. coincidentally, he'd been in a school system that had TRIED that and it hadn't worked. But I got lucky and won anyway

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

[The Wave]

quote:
The last round, our topic was "this house would shuffle the cards"
[Confused]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOO!!!!
GO ANNA!!!
I'm still jealous of you.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations,

I have immense respect for debators because I could never follow all the rules.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooooooo Hooooooo! Way to go, Anna! I can see you in front of the supreme court now! [Smile]

I still want you to debate someday, "This house holds that yo mama". It was an inspired topic!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Congrats

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats! I did a heap of debating @ high school, including some international stuff - i never understood the american topics where you could define it basically how you want.

australian topics tend to be much more defined, with little lee way for your own intepretation: we have stuff like "that the native title legislation is flawed" or "that performance enhancing drugs in sport should be legalised"...

[ November 10, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
WooHOO!

Good on you, and congrats!

[The Wave] [Party]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, when I did youth legislature in high school it was the same. We had to come up with real questions for consideration, which we debated and then held for vote. But the times when people chose whimsical bills to bring to the floor were the most fun. So I think the way Anna describes the rules for their competition sounds great. And if you fancy serious subjects, you can always so interpret them when it's your turn to choose. [Smile]

I wonder if there are any potential jatraqueros among your debating friends, Anna? They would seem to be naturals. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree, the rules sound great: i just remember as some-one not used to those kinds of topics finding it a bit overwhelming at first.

but i got over it!
[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.