FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a Lawyer in the house?

Author Topic: Is there a Lawyer in the house?
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
At 34 years of age I'm thinking of going back to school to study Law. Wondering if anyone has any advice or experience they would like to share with me.

Christopher

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob? Bahhhb!!!!

Or Olavmah is a lawyer, though she hasn't been around for quite a while....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a lawyer but I did take the LSAT once. An extreme form of X-Files fandom, because when I would looking into the FBI I found out 98% of the Bureau are law school grads.

Demographically, I would say you have missed the Generation X saddle, and you are looking into getting back into it just the same time the baby boomlet is striking the law school acceptance age.

But if you know it is your calling, I believe the top 70% of graduates are still able to work in the field. If your motive is to drive a blue BMW and have a cool car phone (This was my dream back in the early 90's) you may want to look into a more reasonable plan.

[ November 11, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

Yeah the status thing isn't what's driving me, just thinking about a different line of work. I've been working in post-production audio for film for 7 years now and bright sparkly sheen has worn off. I'm not even sure of what area of the Law I'm interested in, I just have an opportunity to get a degree in Law for free so I'm exploring the possibility.

Thanks for the input.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, can you elaborate on having the opportunity to get a law degree for free?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in my second last year of a law degree... I think if you feel you'd like to practice, the go for it!

A couple of pointers though
- it is hard work. lots of reading, if you want to do well.
(However, all the 'mature aged' students in my degree tend to do really well...)
- law itself is really varied. You might (and probably will) absolutely loathe some subjects (contract, anyone?) and adore others. You won't be able to work out what field you want to practice in till you're at least halfway through. Maybe longer.
- in terms of work at the end: if you're doing it to get a highly paid job, keep in mind that commercial lawyers will often work 10 hour days and weekends in a effort to move up in the firm. Then if you ever get partner, it just gets worse. My Uncle is usually at work by 6am and doesn't leave till at least 8pm. He takes Sunday afternoons off.

I personally think a law degree is fascinating: you get to understand a lot about equality, equity, notions of judicial fairness and independance, reform and legalism. You get to understand how society operates and gain a different veiwpoint on social issues.

Plus you'll know when other people are breaking the law... always useful when stores won't give you refunds / someone denies liability when they can't.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Law degree is excellent! Lot of stress through school, countless hours in books, but it's worth it! Been there, done it.

One thing - you might change your mind once in law school about what you really want to practice. Can end up practicing in field you hated when in school *points at himself*. Count on putting in many hours, overtime, law firms will work you weekends. If you are clear on these - go and get your law degree [Smile]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Before you go, remember to sell your soul. You'll have to do it eventually, anyway, and if you wait until you get there, you'll find that the sheer number of students has driven the going rate down to half.

And nobody wants a brass accordian.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

Thanks for the responses. They're just what I'm looking for in trying to make an informed decision. As for how I can get a degree for free, my father teaches psychology at the school I would be attending and I, being a direct family member, can take as many units as he teaches. It just seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up. So if i find Law school isn't for me after the first year then the only thing it has cost me is time.

Thanks again for your responses, I knew I could count on hatrackers.

Christopher

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh, can you elaborate on having the opportunity to get a law degree for free?
He has an "Opportunity Knocks" card. I had one too, but it was for stupid ecology. [Grumble]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

And how many packages of Lucky Charms must I eat to get one of these prizes?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So you could go for a degree in anything for free, is this right? I'd do pre-med if I were starting over. Or accounting. Anything except humanities in general and Linguistics in particular. Stupid vain linguist that I am.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky Charms won't help you, but this might.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.