FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling the "hip" music fans

Author Topic: Calling the "hip" music fans
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Hey, I'm planning a music appreciation lesson for the Night High School next week and I need a couple diversified typical musical examples that represent specific genres. My problem: I'm not hip. I have no idea what's really current in punk, R&B, pop etc. And I don't even know if those are the correct classification terms any more. [Wink] I already have some great international examples and of course, I'm the stodgy classical music goddess, but like I said...I'm a pop culture moron. So, can ya help me?

Genres I need a song for:
  • R&B or whatever they call the Rap/soul thing these days
  • punk, or the hard fun stuff. I was thinking of AFI??
  • your basic pop. Who's it right now?? I haven't the slightest.
  • am I forgetting one? Does alternative still count, or is that just punk?
Think of 16-20 year olds, think of rough, fun, easy-going kids who really don't want to be sitting in my music appreciation class at 8:00pm on a Wednesday night. [Big Grin] I know you won't let me down.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Bach is all the rage now! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
your basic pop. Who's it right now?? I haven't the slightest.
<Raises hand.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Would listing stuff for trip hop, lo-fi and orchestral rock be any help at all? I'm thinking not. . . .
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
hey!
you people really dont have a clue wiyh music?
i cant beleive the ignorance!
we'll start with THE best rappers
1.dr. drre the first gangsta rap who gave the mtv rap the audience.
2.eminem who is drre's spiritual student.
3. 50 cent. the real thing. eminems newest project. his style is lazy (because he was shot 6 times in the jaw. )
the newest pop song is maddona and briteny
"me against the music"
cristina agulera is a pop soul (and much more) singer
avril lavign represents the 2003 girl power who does WHATEVER she wants the coolest tom boy on the block
linkin park the best rock band. geniuses.
metalica (sooo cool)
evanessance
good charlottes
da stranger (the coolest rising rap writer youll be hearing about her very soon)
well...
thats it for starters i hope thats what you wanted.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

raphael, that was brilliant!

Unless you were serious....in which case, consider yourself whomped upside the head with a rotting muskrat carcass.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

ouch!
that hurt.
even though we(me and my friends sitting here) did have fun arguing about which artists are better.
i geuss nows the time to slink away with my tail between my feet

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well. . . watch your step.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
raphael, if you're under the age of, say, 20, you're ok. i am significantly beyond that, and i agree with some of your choices if not the fervor with which you related them.

[edit: i suppose i should add that i havea rather limited, yet bizarre taste in music. [Dont Know] ]

[ November 13, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

hey,
you DO agree with some of that stuff??
wow. this is a first.
maby you should have a chat with my parents

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... i don't know about that. i could probably convince them that they're luckier than most parents, but sometimes i think someone should have a chat with my mom, and i've been out of the house for years.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't be nearly so bad if you had spelled Metallica correctly. And Evanescence.

[Big Grin]

[ November 13, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, just spell half the entire post correctly. [Wink]

Although I did enjoy this sentence:

quote:
i cant beleive the ignorance!

[Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very non-mainstream but...

Folk - Ani Difranco, Indigo Girls

Jam Bands - Phish, Widespread Panic

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do any Christina, do it en espaņol. *hums Genio Atrapado*

Techno is anothe reealy important popular genre, I would venture to say. DJ Sammy would be good, Moby is good, Chemical Brothers is really good.

And for pop pop, I would go with Destiny's Child, Justin Timberlake, and the like.

Punk is a really good idea - that's what's really big with my 15-year-old sister (that and Avril)... AFI is a good choice, Good Charlotte is big, and the Ataris are huge.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question (a more serious version of my earlier one): are you only looking to cover what's popular, or just recent developments in music in general?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I just want something that will be instantly recognized as "current" when I play it. I'm trying to pull out ONE example for each of a couple of the genres that these guys are actually listening to, so it feels more like fun instead of a class. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

[ November 13, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] beatnix

-o-

Christina in Spanish? Why? It's not like she can speak the language!

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Get the soundtrack to the Scooby Doo movie. It has a wide representation of modern music styles. Two songs I can think of right now are "Land of Ten Thousand Dances" by OutKast (great fun!) and "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" (I don't know who does this one). OutKast is Rap/funk and the other song is Punk Lite (that's what *I* call it, anyway).

Emo is a music trend that's going around these days, but Dashboard Confessional (a band) makes me want to bash my head into something immoveable until the pain stops. Is that the point?

The White Stripes are a popular band. They have a sexy,stripped-down style that reminds me of early Rolling Stones. I don't particularly like the Rolling Stones (don't hurt me!), but it works for the White Stripes. Just please don't play "Seven Nation Army", it's not their best song, no matter how much air time it gets. I'm not sure what particular music style they would be labeled under.

Junior Senior is...funk disco? Anyway, they are great fun. Dance music. "D-d-don't Stop the Beat" makes me want to wiggle.

Nelly and the St. Lunatics sing a song about their shoes. I love it! It's called "Air Force Ones". That's rap. New-ish. (within the last three years, I think)

John Mayer is a singer much like Dave Matthews, but more contemporary. I like his stuff, but it's somewhat sleepy.

Jason Mraz is a trip, every song on his album is different. I have no idea what to label him as, but he mostly plays acoustic guitar. He does a little white-boy rap in "Remedy", but it's very melodic. He also sings a couple of ballads.

Uncle Kracker is a bit too foul for High School (well, for an authority figure to use in a H.S. class, I think), but he's another one who is different on every song. He sings that very popular song "Follow Me" (my friend Paul says that song is about heroin!) which is safe for radio-play, but not really representative of Uncle Kracker's albums. He does 'white boy rap' mixed with some southern funk. Great stuff.

Ooh, Jane's Addiction just released a new album (Stray) and it's faaaaaabulous. They are a bit screechy, but I like that sort of thing. Kind of New Wave. They've been around a long time.

Anyway, tell us how it goes.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Evanescence, Green Day, Cold, Disturbed, Linkin Park, The Ramones, The Sounds, Fountains of Wayne. Thats my lineup.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
YEA! someone bowed to me. My taste in music doesn't suck.

*dances with glee while students look on in horror*
[Party]

[ November 13, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Cecily - I'm bringing my laptop to Portland with me (homework's a little more high tech these days), and I just downloaded a wide variety of pop stuff for a presentation I was doing. We can make some mixed cds if you like [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Morgan, that would be just Glorious!

Folks, I knew that you would be so much better at this than I am!! Thanks!! Specific song titles are a big help.

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mind Frisco, raphael! He's just very grumpy from lack of sleep. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
::SLAMS HEAD ON DESK REPEATEDLY, OVER AND OVER, TO MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY::

::RUNS SCREAMING FROM THE THREAD IN FEAR OF BEING CORRUPTED BY THE BAD TASTE::

On a more serious note, you guys might try picking something that is up in the charts now, instead of last summer when she asks for popular. At least the bad taste can halfway be explained by the need for it to be ultra-popular right now.

As for Rock and Punk, the top few songs on most radio playlists at the moment are Hoobastank - Out of Control, Sevendust - Enemy, Trapt - Still Frame (All fall into the Alt. Rock Category) and The Ataris - The Saddest Song, Eve 6 - At Least We're Dreaming, Blink 182 - Feeling This ( All mainstream punk)

Even though Dashboard confessional does and should make you want to kill yourself, thats whats big in emo right now, along with Something Corporate.

Hip-Hop isn't my area.

Next time you want some real music instead of things people will recognize, ask me and I won't have to bang my head around first. [Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

I thought she was specifically asking for things people would recognize. [Confused]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
She was, that's why I only answered with things that are on the tops of mainstream radio's playlists right now.

Doesn't mean I can't also complain about how mainstream radio is terrible now does it? [Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

[Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Thanks you guys...I'm still trying to decide on the 'best' (gag) rap song that doesn't have lyrics that will make me faint. Is it possible???
jexx
Member # 3450

Really, Nelly's "Air Force Ones" is not filthy, except for one n-word (which I hate and I don't sing along to that part even though culturally, I understand the usage) used to describe his friends.

Maybe you can get an edited version somewhere?

The song really is all about their shoes. It's funny.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The best part is when suburban white chicks don't realize that they're talking about SHOES but think the song is about the PLANE.

[ROFL]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
p.s. that wasn't me. it was a coworker. really. REALLY.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I missed this thread earlier on. Not that I would have had much to add, as the only radio I ever listen to is NPR, and that sparingly. I'm not into the newest pop stuff... there's so much more that has proven itself with time. But I do agree with Annie. You might want to include some techno. I second the notions of Moby and Chemical Brothers, but I hate DJ Sammy. No offense. I'd go with some Oakenfold, BT or Armin Van Buuren (the last two just barely released quite good new albums... If you need some tips on finding sample tracks, say the word.)

Anyway, that's about all I'm good for in this area. But I would like to give a shout-out to raphael for providing my favorite line of the thread so far:

quote:
50 cent. the real thing. eminems newest project. his style is lazy (because he was shot 6 times in the jaw. )
How do you fit six bullets in your jaw? After two or three, there wouldn't be much jaw left. There must be some careful aimin' gangstas out there, know what I'm sayin'?

[ November 19, 2003, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm going to digress for a second here.

WHY is it a good thing that "50 Cent" is "the real thing?"

I remember a Rolling Stone interview, right around the time he broke, in which he talked about running drugs and being shot -- and killing a few men, himself.

Now, the way I look at this, there are two possibilities:

1) 50 Cent is not a murderous thug, but is lying to hype up his own legend.

2) 50 Cent IS a murderous thug, and is lying to hype up his own legend.

Either way, how is this not reprehensible? How could that interviewer not turn off the tape recorder and walk out of the building? How can a kid buy a CD and LISTEN TO IT, knowing that this man claims to have shot other men in the back, in cold blood? Does he BELIEVE him, and is so enthralled by "the real thing" that he wants to buy into it, or does he secretly think it's all hype and doesn't care about being a victim of marketing?

How, for that matter, can the police read an interview like that -- in which someone obliquely confesses to capital crimes -- and not follow up on it? Why isn't 50 Cent rotting in jail?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
For the hip hop/rap area, Obie Trice. Specifically, I'd say the track "Got Some Teeth" from the newest album "Cheers." (I'm biased, I really like that song).
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Oh, lyrics that won't make you faint? Well, they're barely intelligible, if that helps. :/
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Another hip hop suggestion: "The Influence" by Jurassic 5 or any other song on Quality Control.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

But Myr, the rest of Obie's CD sucked. Bad.

Unless you think it didn't.

Then you can HAVE my copy. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best part is when suburban white chicks don't realize that they're talking about SHOES but think the song is about the PLANE.
Oh, dear.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I've only heard two songs off of it, so I can't say anything about the rest of it ^^
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I see this thread I keep thinking it's going to be about The Tragically Hip. But no luck, wrong hip.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Donkeypunch! Song: "Oops, My Bad"

*rolling with laughter*

I LOVE that song!

Punk-ska. Very fun.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Evanescence's stuff. VERY cool. Especially "Hello" and "Bring me to life". Also, Dido's "no white flag". I guess they'd be considered pop/rock.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet, another DKM fan.

Um, I can honestly say I know very very little about popular mainstream music. I get most of my new music from my sister, who is very into lesser-known indie bands. And some bigger names, but none of it fits the categories you're looking at.

But if you want some good music, I suggest Carbon Leaf. They're kind of Irish Rock/Bluegrass, but it's kind of up in the air as to how to classify them. I love them. All. And I touched them all this past weekend [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.