FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Would you sleep in these made over bedrooms?

Author Topic: Would you sleep in these made over bedrooms?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://houseandhome.msn.com/Decorate/Slideshows/TenTradingSpacesBedroomsSlideShow1.aspx

The only one that I think looks better after than before is number 5. A couple don't look horrible and are probably equal to the before, but barely. I'm always amazed that they still have people willing to do this. Why?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that most people that have positive reactions to their rooms go back and redo them so within a couple of weeks the rooms are back to the way they were before Trading Spaces. I guess most people do it because they want to be on TV, or they find their house truly horrible and think it is the only way they will be able to fix it.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked number 10, too. But most of them are vile.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like 5,8,10 [Smile] But then again, I watch Trading Spaces. QE is MUCH better now, though.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
#7 reminds us of Spongebob Squarepants.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Which I am watching RIGHT NOW.

mmm...marathon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Queer Eye.

(dang you, pop)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda liked 4, but I really liked 5, 8 and 10. The others would give me a headache.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike them all. Am I an old fuddy-duddy because I think a bedroom's decor should be conducive to sleep?

Yes, I'm sure there are many other reasons, too, not the least of which is my use of the term "fuddy-duddy." Sheesh!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unhappy with Hildi's plan for his friend's bedroom, homeowner Sean leaves a note hidden on the baseboard that reads, "Dude, she made me do it."
Hildi's insane. I wouldn't let her anywhere near any room. Don't even get me started on the orange-carpet experience.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I only liked #8. I thought the rest were way too weird. And I don't consider myself a normal person, so for something to be weird, it's got to be pretty far out there [Smile]

I've also only seen Trading Spaces once.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I could not sleep in any of the afters. I did like a couple of the befores, though. They could just have been rearranged and got new sheets and comforters.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hildi's insane. I wouldn't let her anywhere near any room. Don't even get me started on the orange-carpet experience.

Did you see the one where she put wine stickers all over the kitchen walls? Ack! I wouldn't let any of them except Gen near my room. And even with her I'd have to secretly install a camera.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
The absolute worst design I've ever seen, and I can't even remember who did it, but it was terrible... Was when they painted the walls like, green, and then GLUED HAY to the walls. O_o I was all like, WTF?? That SO doesn't look good!

~Ryuko~

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You know, at first, I liked 8, too. Then I realized that the door opens right next to the bed and into the chairs. How uncomfortable would it be to walk into that bedroom? I'm much too clausterphobic for that one. And 10 wasn't bad, but I didn't understand why they would cover up that beautiful wood on the bed. The original room had the right idea, but desperately needed help with window treatments and what were they thinking when they put down those carpet runners? And in the after room, why is there a pillow on the floor?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Ryuko, what about the moss?!?
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
The floor pillow is for dogs.

(Not that our dogs would use it. They'd jump up to sleep on the bed, probably ripping off that stupid netting canopy in the process.)

#6 is DEFINITELY the worst. (I can't imagine ever wanting a giant pair of lips for my headboard.)

#7 appears to have been vandalized.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I like number four, but I just love purple, so it suits me, I guess. The fireplace is really cool. Not so sure about the lights on the headboard, though.

Five is alright, but I'd have to take the Buddah head down - I just can't have large faces as decoration, it would freak me out.

Which is why six is just completely out of the question.

Eight's nice - simple, good colors. Makes the room look bigger (or maybe it's the photo - hard to say).

Ten would be really nice, too, if the comforter wasn't yellow. I'd have to change that. [Smile]

I love watching Trading Spaces - it's just too much fun. But I'd be afraid to let then do my house. Very, very afraid.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, I saw the hay episode! It was awful! There was beautiful dark wood all around the room, but they painted it (of course), and then they painted the ceiling PINK. Hay glued to the walls and a pink ceiling. Yikes.

I also saw the moss one. My goodness, I just don't get it.

Usually Doug just bothers me, but he did a really cool (amazingly enough) oriental-inspired room with blue walls and a white outlined oriental painting on one wall. The bed was a square poled four-poster that was painted a high gloss black with a white comforter. Then there was a vase on the dresser (also painted black) with red flowers in it. The colors were very beautiful.

I still don't know why people do it though... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could sleep in number five and ten....that may be about it.

That lips headboard is weirding me out.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I could sleep in any one of them, seeing as I, unlike apparently everyone else in this thread, sleep in the dark.

Could I live in them? That's a different story.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally off-topic: Frisco, how do you DO that?! The multiple blank lines thing?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Black magic.

You still want to know? You'll probably go to hell.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't believe in hell. [Big Grin] Bring it on!

Email's in my profile, if this is a "if I tell you I'll have to kill you" thing. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

No, it's easy.

For every blank line you want in your post, all you have to do is cut the head off of a live chicken and drain its blood into your keyboard.

rivka
Member # 4859

Dang! I live in the city -- I think there are laws that prohibit keeping livestock. [Grumble]

Is there another method?

Frisco
Member # 3765

Dunno. That's the first one I tried.

It was a long shot, but it paid off.

rivka
Member # 4859

I think goldfish might do the trick too.

Lookit dat!

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
The moss was terrible, but the most outrageous was when Hildi stapled hideously bright flowers to this bathroom's walls as wallpaper. I would've cried, but I think the couple actually liked it.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Trading Spaces, but most of those look hideous - especially the pink lips. I am uncomfortable with my designer snickering at me.

I did like 2,5,8, and maybe nine. 5 was great - I love the walls.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So the kids version of trading spaces usually comes out looking pretty good. Maybe it's because themed rooms work better when you're yonger because you also "play" more in your room.

What I find more frightening is For Better or For Worse. A couple gives up all say in their wedding. They have a team of friends that basically do everythign for them in 1 week w/ a 5000 dollar budget. The 2 shows I've seen have *barely* made it work. And both times the dress just barely fit the bride. Oh yeah did I mention that they don't even see if it will fit her before the day of the wedding. hmm yeah... now why does this sound like a *really* bad idea?

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Six is bad, the room was perfect before! Fortunately or unfortunately all of the others would be an improvement over our current master bedroom which is ugly dirty peach with pink carpet. Maybe we should sign up! Redoing the bedrooms is taking a lot longer than I anticipated. Any fresh coat of paint on the walls of that bedroom would be an improvement.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
#6 -- is just freaky!

Can you picture this -- the guy goes on a date, the girl thinks he's pretty cool. He invites her into his place for a drink, they start smooching,, one thing leads to another...

And pretty soon he leads her into his bedroom -- where she sees those giant RED LIPS on the wall! I mean -- talk about a MOOD killer! I would immediately think the guy's a pervert and run screaming from the place......

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 - the Zebra Room. I like it. But then again, I'm a wild one, myself. I love the plants and the subtle lighting on the walls. I like the zebra stripes and the bed. I hated the big wooden table. Impractical, and you'd run into it in the dark. Also, not conducive to romance, as it blocks the bed.

The next one (Kia's room) was too divided. I don't think "sensual" and "relaxing" go well in the same package. I really hated the chains suspending the bed. I did like the long cylindrical pillows. There was definitely some improvement in furnishings. But the colors did not go well. It wasn't sexy at all, and not restful, either.

The Cigar Box room - Anything derived from a cigar box is bound to be unattractive. The walls look like a scuzzy motel. The bedcover is nice, but who wants to have a giant advertisement for cigars (which you should NEVER smoke in bed) as a headboard? And the horrible orange-lighted bed tables attract too much attention. You don't want everyone who comes into your bedroom to be fixated on your nightstands!

Vern's Room - The bedding is nice. The fireplace didn't need the crystal accents. I like the deep red color (a color I have in my own bedroom). But what's with the tacky lighting?

The Golden Buddha room is lovely, but without the golden Buddha. It's the wrong yellow, and too much of it. I love the furnishings, the butter yellow, and the smooth blue satin.

Big Lip Room - Way to ruin a perfectly lovely bedroom suite! The wood was beautiful, and vintage. A giant face on the wall is just creepy. This room went from elegant to show-off for the sake of showing off.

I like the watery feel of Hildi's room, but I think she should have done the ceiling in the same way she did the walls. Then, when you were in bed, it would feel like you were lying underwater.

#8 - I liked it purple better.

Efficiency Suite - Wouldn't a Chinese screen have worked just as well?

10 Anything with a bed tent is wonderful. I love this room, all except for the ugly bedspread fabric. It would be truly be more Hawaiian to have a light-colored bedspread.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have a link to the moss room? I'd love to grow live moss in my house, but it dies on me.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched one episode last thanksgiving with my family.

The were redoing the children's play room.

She brought in bright white shag carpet.

White carpet--in a Kids Room--designed to be played in.

Right then I knew these people were useless.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Jenny, if you click here, then go down to San Diego: Elm Ridge, you'll see David and David Jr.'s Bedroom, in which they took out pretty nice carpeting (the picture doesn't do it justice) and glued concrete slabs to the floor) and Kevin and Jennifer's Bedroom, which, (again, there is no way for the picture to do this one justice) the wall was covered with moss and those tiles on the floor, they are so uneven, I have a hard time imagining that someone could walk across that floor without breaking something.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Also, for anyone actually interested, apparently, you can watch the transformation here.
Kayla
Member # 2403

D*oh. You know, you could just click on that second link to get the pictures faster. What a dork!
Kimo
Member # 5933

- posted      Profile for Kimo   Email Kimo         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they sure they have the before and afterers in the right order? Who in their right mind would want the room to look like that after the remodel? (Especially the one with the lips)

Would I take the opportunity to be on trading spaces? Let me think, hmmmm............

NO!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Call me crazy, but I like the slate and moss bedroom. Of course, I'd rather have it for my bathroom, but it's very lovely. It reminds me of a cave. You would definitely need a rug by the bed. Can you imagine the cold feet you'd have in the morning stepping onto a stone floor? Brrr!

I wonder how they got the moss to stay? My hubby and I are building soon, and I'd like to know how to make the master bath into a "grotto".

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They glued it. [Eek!] I'd suggest putting something on the walls to glue it to, for when you want to change it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I thought they used straight pins.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Oh. They used DEAD moss. Ugh.

I saw a picture of a famous person's house who had a rock wall in her home with real live moss growing in it. That's what I want.

Who wants dead moss that will only crumble into a powder? Bleah.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.