FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Potter" & "Rings" get parady

Author Topic: "Potter" & "Rings" get parady
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
"Potter" & "Rings" get parady

Who knows if this is trust worthy but it doesn't seem unlikely. In a way its a huge compliment, These movies/books have had such a huge impact on american culture recently that someone has taken the time to parady them. But, I'm not sure if I could stand to see them shredded like they inevitably will be in a parady. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks tacky. I like parody, but the problem with paroding great material - instead of stock genres - is that the parody is rarely as clever as the original. Popular, bad movies are fun to do - great parodies both send up and exceed their target. The one described sounds sad.

Maybe someone with real talent and cleverness with do a parody of Harry Potter, but it would take a genius to do it well.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Harvard Lampoon do the whole "change the names to something even stupider" parody of LotR decades ago?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Bored of the Rings, yes... it was moderately funny, but definitely wait for someone to loan it to you (mine was a gift).
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . with a script by Howard Stern . . .
::hiss::
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
::hiss::
*chomp*
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
*chomp*
::glare::
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't anyone pointed it out yet? Parody.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
*glare*
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade. It's a nice idea; if it is ever done well, I'd love to see it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I’d like to see a good parody myself. The problem is that Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have very little in common to serve jointly as the foundation of a parody.

Second, the best parodies are form those who truly understand and love the underlying material (even if they only love it for its outright cheesiness). The writers involved in this project don’t seem to qualify.

And the change to sophomoric names is the lowest form of satire – I’ve always found it distracts even from good parodies such as Spaceballs. Mel Brooks or the Zuckers could pull this off, but not Stern’s cohorts.

Although Gandolfini is pretty funny.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know that it's a Harry Potter parody, per se. But the funniest Harry Potter fanfic I have ever ROFLed over can be found here (among many other places): Naked Quidditch
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
*glare*
Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, that was quite funny. *snort*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The amazing thing is how MANY places that fic is posted! I'd never done a search for it before.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
*chomp*
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, that was horrible. Truly horrible. [Cry]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
*chomp*
::thwack::
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
::thwack::
*zap*
zeroemus
Member # 3169

- posted      Profile for zeroemus           Edit/Delete Post 
That's copyright infringement, Narr.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
That's copyright infringement, Narr.
*nuke*
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
*zap*
::boom::
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
This is off topic, but when I first read the subject line, I thought it was about a bunch of fantasy characters marching past Macy's and riding on floats ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.