FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Question

Author Topic: The Question
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
How do i know if i am an insomniac?
As I sit here a 3am staring at my computer screen, wasting time doing nothing, I wonder to myself whether I would qualify as an insomniac.

I am in a new school, I got here in September, things are not so bad, but then again things are not great. I had to give up something I cared a great deal about when I was made to come here.
Ever since the beggining of this school year I have been dealing with change by staying up late. On average i get about 25-30hours of sleep every seven day week, but as I get more work I dig into the sleeping hours. I doubt I could deal with the day if I were fully awake, things are much simpler when I get into this zombie like state. My life is very empty at the moment, there is nothing I like doing, I get pleasure out of no activity. The days are dull and long. I doubt that anyone here is aware of my situation, my grades are average and I get along with everyone. I smile and give in, I try to be kind. Am I an insomniac, if not then what is worng with me? I hope someone out there can give me a hand as I am all out of ideas.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like an instance where one should go after the two birds in the bush.

Find something you love, no matter what the cost. Everything will be easier when there's a purpose for it.

I'm not sure 28 hours of sleep a week is severe insomnia. But come get addicted to Hatcrack and see if you get half that! [Razz]

Some of us never sleep, for fear that we might miss an important thread or an opportunity to unleash the Joke of the Century.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

I do not have much to say, things are looking grim.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
28 hours a week? Pshaw. That's not insomnia. That's about average for a college student, ambitious but not all that weird for a high school student.

As for the other stuff . . .

You could just be bored.

You could be depressed.

Or you could just be a teenager. [Razz]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm not sure what I can say, then. I don't know much about your situation.

I could shout out random advice, but happiness is too subjective.

I just know that at points in my life where I've been unhappy and taken pleasure in nothing, I've made changes. Big changes. Some things can't be solved by making small adjustments.

If you want to chat a bit, my AIM name is in my profile.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

I guess if i post this at 3am the only people who read it turn out to be pretty used to staying up.
Today i am going for a sleepless night, I want to see how it turns out.

Frisco
Member # 3765

Heh.

Sleep deprivation is pretty unspectacular unless you can manage to set a pair of slippers on fire.

Desu
Member # 5941

Chating would be nice, everyone I know is asleep. It tells me that you are not logged in.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, if you need to talk, Myrrdin Fyre is probably up this time of night trying to make friends, the poor lonely girl.

[ November 18, 2003, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do i know if i am an insomniac?
When you look on your buddy list and no one else is online! [Frown]

Generally, though, there's always a friendly face in Hatrack Chat for those empty wee hours [Smile]

edit- learn to spell, myr.

[ November 18, 2003, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You are jack's waking dream. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
And Frisco: [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

Sometimes I just do not understand.

Edit: sometimes I just do not read.

[ November 18, 2003, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Desu ]

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be depression due to the stress of changing to the new school?

Not sleeping and finding nothing in life pleasurable are both symptoms of depression.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There are counselors at your school, and it is precisely for questions like these that they are there for. Do you know where yours are on campus?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I know anything but that sounds like depression to me. As the wise Frisco said "Find something you love, no matter what the cost." It's worth it. A good friend, an awesome hobby, something you really enjoy.

In the meantime ((((Desu))))

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Depression can cause (and also be exacerbated by, making for a nice self-repeating cycle) insomnia or difficulty sleeping. I've discovered that my periodic depression is greatly helped by getting enough sleep (thanks to the wonderful world of chemistry and sleeping pills). I wouldn't be surprised if the stress of a new school (and giving up something you cared about), combined with not getting sufficient sleep may be causing depression.

While 25-30 hours of sleep is not necessarily insomnia, it's not necessarily enough sleep either. The basic recommendation is to get 6-8 hours of sleep a night (which would total 42-56 hours of sleep a week), but individual needs vary. Unfortunately, the age when your body most need to get the proper amount of sleep is the time when you are lest likely to get it (ie. teens and early twenties). Is it that you can't sleep (you try but can't)? Or that you don't want to or don't feel like it?

I would recommend talking to a counselor or doctor on campus and see what ideas they have for you.

Good luck! [Smile]

[ November 18, 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

Heh, I do not trust those people. Special treatment is not what I am looking for.
Thanks for your help though guys.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.