FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen."?

Author Topic: The "greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen."?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=464783

Heh. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Right - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Kruschev, all less dangerous than Bush.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
How nice for Bush that his trip will be relatively free of political hyperbole.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite part:
quote:
"I don't formally recognise George Bush because he was not officially elected."
This guy's a friggin' ijit.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He's name-calling instead and running around like Chicken Little.

[ November 18, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

They're--the Axis of Evil.

He's--the greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen.

They fight crime!

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I though death was the greatest threat to life on this planet....

[ROFL]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's carrots. 100% of people who eat carrots die.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite Kat, I ate carrots and am still alive. You're thinking of Confucius, everyone who was Confucius is dead.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hobbes, that only means that you will die. Sheesh, don't you ever use logic?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Livingston is an idiot, though. He's not done anything much for London (which he's mayor of) apart from banning pigeon feeders from Trafalgar Square.
Having said that, though, I'm becoming more and more anti-war every day. Plus we're paying millions of tax money on an unnecessary visit from Bush and London's been turned into some kind of freaky fortress for a week.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I fail to see proof for that statment Jon, and until I do it would be illogical of me to assume that it is valid.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Premise: All people who eat carrots eventually die.

Premise: Hobbes is a person who has eaten carrots.

Conclusion: Hobbes will eventually die. QED.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

S+S, your point is well taken. I'm not sure how Bush's visit to England is necessary in this age of video conferencing. The only thing that I can think of is that there *are* plenty of people who appreciate Bush's visit as a show of support and friendship. By not coming, he only bows to his 'opponents' beliefs.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Wait, your starting premise is the thing I said would require validation? That seems pretty silly to me, but hey, at least an English Language major is trying to proof something.

[Taunt]

Hobbes [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm proofing your post right now, Hobbes.
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh* JB, that's my favorite mental image of the day.
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Proof: All People who ate carrots prior to the year 1900 are dead.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I made Katie laugh!

*checks off last remaining item on list of things to do today*

And speaking of proofing, what's with the "most probably ever"? It's wordy, and the "probably" is a misplaced modifier (unless he's not sure whether he's seen President Bush).

[ November 18, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Quite, HDD - we have a couple of diggers still alive born prior to 1900, and I'm SURE they would've eaten carrots at some point.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And anyway, it only shows correlation, not causation.
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay change "all" to 99%

And the conclusion is that carrots kill.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.