FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LotR, A Character Study - All the Rest! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LotR, A Character Study - All the Rest!
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there is a single actor in the movies that you could honestly say did a bad job with his/her role. Even the extras were awesome. I think the movies will sit alongside the books forever as timeless classics.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Character

Faramir - David Wenham

I figure since a few people have already talked about him we'll make it official.

At first I was really disapointed with this character. Not so much that David Wenham did a poor job but at the way the character was written. The moral fiber of Faramir was totally missing in the theatrical release. Then I saw the Exteneded Edition. IT WAS MUCH BETTER!!!!! (if you haven't seen it yet, go see it!) But anyways, Faramir has returned, in my mind, to the faramir of the books. The story differs a bit but in the end you see that Faramir is tempted, perhaps greater than any other man, and yet still refuses the ring. David did a fine job in portraying the role.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
The actor for Faramir has a huge shnoz.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
hail captain of the obvious.

You're right, Faramir in the EE is MUCH better than the one in the theatrical. I can't wait to see more interaction between him and Dethenor in Rotk.

edit: an aside on gollum's eyes. Olivet mentioned at wenchcon or at some point that gollum's blue eyes resemble a certain other blue-eyed hobbit's. Gollum's eyes haven't bothered me at all since then, though they did in the beginning.

Ni!

[ November 24, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that Faramir's going to be heartbreaking in ROTK when he leads the suicide charge to prove himself to his idiot father. He's supposed to have a much bigger role. Should be fun. And, yeah, in the TT EE he's a lot more understandable. I remember seeing shots in the theatrical edition where he was looking away and thinking and I was like "There really should be a flashback here....." And in the EE there was.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a spoiler warning there, dude. There are some here who, strange as it may seem, have never read RotK.

Theatrical Faramir: didn't like how it was written, though I must say, he still did a fine job presenting the Faramir that was written for him.

EE Faramir: The extra scenes he is in is where I think he really shines in this movie, not just by what was written, but his acting was great as well. And yes, he has a huge nose. Get over it, you anti-huge nose people! [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually find the guy who plays Faramir weirdly attractive - despite the huge nose. But then, maybe that's because he's playing Sean Bean's brother and I find Sean Bean weirdly attractive too. (Though neither of them are a patch on Aragorn). So the moral is, people with big noses - don't despair, some of us don't mind.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the way Faramir was portrayed in the theatrical version, either, and it had nothing to do with the acting. I didn't like it that he was basically Boromir all over again.

But since you all say he was so much better in the EE, I think I'll reserve judgment until I have time to watch mine. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir was my favorite character in Fellowship, and I was sorta dissapointed that Faramir was so two-dimensional in the Theatrical Release, it was almost like he had PLOT DEVICE written on his forehead. I just saw the Extended Edition a few nights ago (and I indend to watch it again tomorrow night), and he's infinitely better. It posthumously furthers the character of Boromir and Faramir simultaneously, it also shows exactly why the Elves don't have any faith in the strength of Man, it shows a trend in two "normal" Man-types which I think is really cool.

I love watching the movie and reading all the subtleties in the characters. I don't know if Peter Jackson ever thought about this stuff, or if it's Tolkien showing through.

And I hate it when people declare Gollum as comic relief. What he's saying sounds funny, and he's talking in a funny voice, but I didn't think it was funny at all. It really shows how Gollum torments Smeagol and keeps him down, and how weak Gollum's psyche really is. My only wish is that they made Gollum a little better proportioned. The eyes are a little too big and the jaw a little too small.

P.S. Boromir owns your pants.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

Boromir owns your pants.

But... I thought I was only lending them to him.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Next ...

Samwise Gamgee - Sean Astin

Someone had made the comment earlier that Sam also was one of the Ring Bearers and should be included with the original four (Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, and Gollum). I agree that Sam has a very pivital role in the story but I for some reason still hold him on the outside of that group. Perhaps it is because he was a ring bearer for such a short amount of time. The others all had a long history with the ring and this is why I have them lumped together.

So anyways, I really liked Sean Astin as Sam. When I first heard that "Rudy" was going to be a hobbit I was very concerned. I didn't think he was going to be able to pull it off. The only thing I knew about him was his role as Mikey from the "Goonies" and the above mentioned Rudy. But then I saw FotR and I realized he was the best cast of the hobbits. In my opinion he looks just like Sam should look. He looks like I had always pictured hobbits to look. A bit stout, a bit simple (although simple probably isn't the right word) He has played the faithful servant very well.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Samwise is THE hero of the Lord of Rings. That will possibly get gasps from some folks, but I have my reasons.

Yes, he was a ring bearer, but that only features into it a bit. The main reason is that when it comes down to it, he went through the worst of everything purely of his own free will.

Frodo had to go, no one else could bear the Ring for the trip. Aragorn was a king-in-waiting, his destiny was tied to the story. Gandalf was the Wizard and the one in the know, it was his job to see this through. Legolas and Gimli, along with Merry and Pippin, while important were assisting characters. Gollum was just the tragic figure who was integral to the back story and the final culmination.

Brave Samwise, though, endured because he believed in and loved Frodo and because he knew that the Ring had to be destroyed, no matter what. Time and time again, he could have walked away. He could have run in Moria, he could have let Frodo take off for Mordor solo, he could have panicked and left Frodo to the Orcs, he could have given up and quit carrying the near lifeless Frodo to Mt. Doom. And he never did. His loyalties, his strength of spirit and his hope for a better day held through when everything else collapsed.

Sean Astin was the perfect choice for Samwise. He has the look and the demeanor for the role, but it is in his work as an actor that it shines through. Barring Rudy and Dish Dogs , Astin has been the ultimate supporting actor, always generous with scenes and providing a solid ground for his co-stars to spring from. How does he do it? By living the character. I was told that from the beginning of filming, he lived the role of Samwise, taking care of Elijah Wood both on and off the set-- brought him his lunch, made sure he was comfortable, helped him with lines, etc... All because he felt that it was the core of his character and that in living it, he wouldn't be acting when he got on screen. It shows in a very delicate, yet powerful, piece of acting.

My biggest worry is that at Oscars time, Astin will be overlooked in favor of McKellan again. McKellan is an excellent actor, but his performance is nowhere as artful as Astin's. On the screen, we marvel at McKellan's rendition of wise and powerful Gandalf. When Astin is on screen, we see only Samwise. Astin's performance, to use a phrase, doesn't show us the zipper down the back of the costume. He isn't portraying a character, he IS the character.

On another strange note, I do feel that Samwise is actually the lead character of ROTK, but I'm betting that the Academy won't see it that way as most readers don't seem to, either.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Hmm, I'd say that Astin's performance is more touching and, yes, powerful than McKellen's, but not as artful. You just love Sam. Everyone loves Sam.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

quote:
he went through the worst of everything purely of his own free will.

This is why I have always liked Sam. Although I hold him out of the group I mention above he still has always been the most interesting character for me. I think the scene that demonstares this best ...wait a minute

SPOILERS - for those who have not read and only watched the LotR

... is when Sam picks up Sting and the Ring and leaves Frodo to continue the mission. He has just lost the person whom he cares for more than anyother and yet he is determined to finish the quest. Not because it is his quest but because it was so important to Frodo. Most supporting characters/side kicks would wither and die when the main character is lost, so this also demonstrates how Sam is more than a supporting character.

END SPOILERS

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, everyone loves Sam. He is so adorable.

I have had some discussions with writers about Sam. I believe, and others do too (I think even OSC), that Sam is actually the main character. I suck at explaining things, so just think about it.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sopwith. Sam is the guy. The guy who does what has to be done, the guy that you can count on, the guy who'd give his last ounce of strength for someone he loves. The guy who would do the decent thing, even if it was hard. The guy who does everything with his whole heart, whether it's gardening, caring for Frodo, or bearing the ring.

He never loses hope, and all the evil he faces doesn't rob him of joy.

Sam is totally a hero. A real hero. Aragorn may be the hero we wish we were, but Sam is the hero that we could all be, if we wanted to.

I loves me Sam.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sam is totally a hero. A real hero. Aragorn may be the hero we wish we were, but Sam is the hero that we could all be, if we wanted to.
I think all four of the hobbits function in this capacity. By the third book, all four of them have had deeply heroic moments, and yet they all remain accessible.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Yes, hobbits are very resiliant. Hobbits rock!
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
And that is the real secret to Tolkein's masterworks: it's not about the sweeping epic and armies on the march, it's about the wee folk who don't seem all that important until you realize that they are holding the whole world together.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
No Sam is not the main character. Ultimately, it is not Sam's heroism or anyone elses that saves the world. It is Frodo's mercy. Sam has heart and courage, but he lacks Frodo's wisdom. Sam makes the trip to Mordor out of love and loyalty to Frodo. Frodo goes because he knows it must be done and that no one else can do it.

In the end, it is Frodo who pays the ultimate price, the loss of self. It is Frodo who bares the wound that can not be healed. Frodo is in many ways a metaphor for the end of the third age. I would like to believe that when Frodo and Bilbo sail into the west, there is a magic there that is able to heal them, but in my heart I do not. When the elves leave for the west, there is a magic and beauty lost from middle earth that will never return. When Frodo accepts the burden of the ring, he sets foot on an inevitable path from which he can never fully return.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's about the wee folk who don't seem all that important until you realize that they are holding the whole world together.
Exactly. The forces of evil always fail because they underestimate the power of small and simple things.

This is one of my sources of hope in life.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Has anyone ever noticed that there's always a hobbit in every part of the book? (except the three hunters when they were following Merry and Pippin) Wherever something happens in the book, a hobbit is there. Later they told each other their stories, and Sam wrote it down.

Tolkien was a genius. He was able to make all the bad guys big and scary by using characters who were small, and unnacustomed to the largeness of the world.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Sam isn't the "main character", but many people contend that he is the true hero of the story (including our beloved host, and hordes of lit crit folks (the wankers! [Wink] There but for the grace of whatever...). He was there when Gandalf revealed the truth about the ring, he was at the council of Elrond, he looked in the mirror of Galadriel, etc. Truth is, Frodo wouldn't make it without Sam, mercy or not. Frodo gave his life, or at least all joy of it, but Sam restored the Shire

I'm not saying that Sam is definitively the 'hero' of LotR, just that the case could be made, based on the text. Though Frodo and his severe PTSD and consuming depression always had a certain romantic appeal for me, especially when I first read the books as an angsty teen, the Triumph of the Small holds more and more appeal for me as I age. [Wink] go figger. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
PTSD meaning what?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Sam is the real hero of the story, IMO. He's also my favorite character. [Smile] And Sean Astin is Sam. I was a bit skeptical at first, but as the story progresses, he's just becoming more and more like the Sam I know and love. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I dunno, I always pictured Laurence Fishburne as Sam. That guy just exudes good cheer and warmth.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Sorry. Sometimes I forget that everyone doesn't have an older sister who's a therapist. [Wink] I've been listening to psycho babble since I was ten. My sister decided she wanted to be a therapist when she fell for a family counsellor I was sent to when I was six (his conclusion- I was smart and bored with public school. Must've been right, because when I switched schools, I didn't beat anybody else up [Wink] ). Anyway, from the time my sis took her first psych class, I was her guinea pig. Actually, I guess that explains a lot... [Big Grin]

[ November 26, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Some one else...

ok ladies, Aragorn - Viggo Mortenson

I have liked this choice form the beginning. Viggo Mortenson has played the part very well. I believe that he is torn between embracing and hiding from his destiny. He carries himself with a great sense of power and authority but also is approachable as a man's man.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

mmmm...Viggo Mortensen... [Big Grin]

Let me just say that I think Viggo is a great guy. He's incredibly dedicated to everything he does, and he's really talented.

Back to Aragorn. I think he should've picked Eowyn. Ummm...I'm to distracted by how hot he is to think of anything else to say right now...

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Viggo did a great job with Aragorn. The really hard thing is that its so hard to try to picture someone else in his role, that could have done a better job, which is a great thing to say, really.

Viggo just gives off an Aragorn aura in the movie. Watching the DVD's you can find that he was head on into it and did more than his best.

Also, I just thought that I should give a little nod to Aragorns costume designer, who I think did a great job for his costume.

JaneX
Member # 2026

Viggo is awesome. He's doing a wonderful job as Aragorn. One of the things I really love about the books is Aragorn's gradual transformation, over the course of the story, from a Ranger who lives in the wilderness to a King of Men. And Viggo is capturing that transformation beautifully.

It also doesn't hurt that he's extremely hot. [Wink]

~Jane~

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in FotR Viggo wanted to put all these little touches in the movie, like bringing a deer to the hobbits on their way to Rivindell and making up a melody to the Luthien song and singing it in one of the EE scenes...I thought that was awesome. He really captures Aragorn's spirit. And I must say, he is THE hottest of the fellowship...I'll take a real man over some pansy elf any day.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Orlando Bloom is hot, too; but not as hot as Viggo. Of course, Orlando was hotter in PotC, where he was a real man. I think Billy Boyd is really cute, too; and I just love his accent. He doesn't get enough credit.
hasdy
Member # 5905

- posted      Profile for hasdy   Email hasdy         Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of hot/cute..... Liv Tyler/Arwen... ooooh sooo delicious!!!

and dats all i haves to says about that!! [Razz]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Holm was also in Greystoke's Tarzan. I'm watching it now. He was good in that, too.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
To me Viggo as Aragorn is just about the only character who doesn't mesh with my image from reading the books. He's not tall enough and he's not dark enough, and most importantly, he does not possess the natural authority that I've always imagined emanating from Aragorn. I have problems seeing him as a leader and thus the scene when the dying Boromir declared him his king did not ring true to me. Sure, they'll probably do their best to portray Aragorn as more kingly the longer he comes on his journey to Gondor, but I think they will have a hard time showing what's not there.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

I think he does have that natural authority. Even though he denies that he wants to be king, he seems to automatically slip into the leadership role in many situations. When Gandalf fell, for example, he took charge and told the Fellowship they needed to move on, just like he did in the books. And at Helm's Deep, too - even though technically Théoden was in charge, Aragorn was right out there giving instructions. And that's only two examples - there are many more.

~Jane~

Book
Member # 5500

But his taking charge was written into the book.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

One more for the ladies...

Legalos - Orlando Bloom

I really liked Orlando as Legalos. He certainly has a very elvish quality about him. He really plays the part with a lot of depth and sincerity.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think Orlando Bloom is one of the most overrated actors of the past three years. I've always found his performances to be utterly wooden and hollow. I firmly believe that if he weren't so attractive no one would have given him a second glance.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Orlando Bloom's portrayal of Legolas. He takes everything sexy out of the role for me. I expect to see his face alight whenever he is in the forest, and it is not. I expect a more mysterious, yet wise and otherworldly expression. Not this blankness, this vagueness. He looks very "pretty", but the sexual element is not there. I need fire to heat MY blood.

Sean Astin's Sam is so well done that you will never notice. His work is so sincere that you completely believe in Sam. He deserves an award for this part and will probably never get one.

Viggo is undeniably hot. He is playing his role with passion, and it shows. There are places where he comes through rather than Aragorn, but for the most part, a very good job. I like his character portrayal better in Fellowship than in Towers.

Boromir makes me feel tingly every time I see him on screen. It seems like he has a bit part, but his work sings in every scene.

Faramir seems boring to me. Not the intriguing, scholarly fellow I fell in love with when I was 12.

(edit to add: By the way, aren't legalos little building blocks? [Razz] )

[ December 01, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*runs in thread*
*swoons over legolas*

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see the first LOTR just after a nasty break up - I was in a 'I hate all men' mode.

When I came out I had shifted to a 'I hate all men but I love elves' mode.

[Smile]

I think Orlando Bloom was extremely good, which I admit is a view motivated mostly by his good looks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Jenny! That's great! Legos - Legolas . . . .

[Evil Laugh]

There is a certain element of Elvish passion missing from him, I must admit. Haldir was far more convincing, I though. Ah, what a waste that was. And not even in the book, so sad . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Orlando Bloom is very pretty, but I don't think he's a very good actor. He seems to only have one facial expression, no matter what mood he's supposed to be in. [Dont Know]

~Jane~

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Jane, orlando's got at least two facial expressions...Mildly confused, and mildly concerned.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
ahhhh!
I can't bleive you people! I thought he was terrific (and beautiful )I also imagined elves expretions not to change at all (they never get surprised or anything and the don't show emotions ) so i though it was great.but thats just me.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Raphael--that's those other people with pointy ears. [Taunt]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehehe.
for all you know my ears may be pointy.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Haldir was far more convincing
Oh, I DO agree with that one [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.