FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did you see it?????

Author Topic: Did you see it?????
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
At about five thrity in California a light shot down from the sky. It was seen as far South as Los Angeles and as North as Sacramento. People all agree that it was a light that fell down but opinions differ on the color. Some say it was white, others say red, yellow or orange. It is thought to be a meteor or fireball. The possibility that it was a missile or other form of attack is also being investigated.

-summary from kcbs radio news report at six thirty

My mom called me right after she saw it. She was on 101, just South of San Francisco. I hurried to a radio as quickly as possible and listened until it was mentioned.

[ November 20, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: esl ]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. But wouldn't expect to, being on the other side of the world and all [Smile]

If it was a missle wouldn't it have exploded somewhere? Sounds more like something burning up in the atmosphere.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
asteroid, probably.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good. The aliens were way overdue.

The interesting thing is that I was driving home at that time, and saw nothing. [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there is a lot of meteor shower activity going on right now...
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Oregon always cloudy during the November meteor showers? It's very depressing.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a big meteor myself, just a few moments ago (in Birmingham, Alabama). Is this one of the meteor showers? I can never remember them. Leonids?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What does my girlfriend have to do with meteor showers?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I myself didn't see in Sacramento, but my mother did. Somebody called on a radio station here and said that their son saw in Los Angeles. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see this one, but I caught one that sounds similar. I tried in vain to find the date on google, but I seem to recall this was in 1966. At night. The green fireball dominated the Eastern sky. I and others swear there was also a sound with it, like a rushing sound, with it as well. It was sheer dumb luck that my whole family happened to be sitting in front of the eastern window when it happened. We were in Rochester, NY but I think there were reports all along our region of the east coast.

Way cool - in a scary, unnerving kind of way.

[ November 20, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Yes, it's the Leonids.

Here's one of my favorite quotes about meteors, from Thomas Jefferson.

quote:
"Gentlemen, I would rather believe that two Yankee professors would lie than believe that stones fall from heaven."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
My people have come for me at last! [Evil]

They must not have gotten my voice-mail telling them I left Hollywood after my movie deal tanked. [Grumble]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Here is a cool site about meteors that I found while looking around tonight.

Strider, the Leonid meteor shower occurs every year around November 17th when the earth crosses the orbit of comet Tempel-Tuttle that leaves a trail of debris behind it in space. Tempel-Tuttle passed close to the sun in 1998, so ever since then the Leonids have been particularly good. Its period is 33 years so expect to see another great Leonid shower in 2031, or maybe not. This meteor shower is named "Leonid" because its radiant, the point in the sky from which all the meteor streaks seem to originate, is in the constellation Leo, although it is very near the Leo-Virgo border and has moved into Virgo in recent years. I don't think there is any connection whatsoever to our own jatraquera named Leonide. [Smile] She can correct me if I'm wrong.

[ November 21, 2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
They have everything to do with me.

As goddess of flaming rocks falling from the sky, it was my idea.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Oh, I'm glad to know that! What a cool thing to be the goddess of!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the end of the world as we know it.

Either that or Michael Jackson was returning to Santa Barbara.

[ November 21, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.