FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The coolest word: defenestration? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The coolest word: defenestration?
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"We'll have to see," Belbo said. He rummaged in his drawer and took out some sheets of paper. "Potio-section ..." He looked at me, saw my bewilderment. "Potio-section, as everybody knows, of course, is the art of slicing soup. No, no," he said to Diotallevi. "It's not a department, it's a subject, like Mechanical Avunculogratulation or Pylocatabasis. They all fall under the category of Tetrapyloctomy."

"What's tetra...?" I asked.

"The art of splitting a hair four ways. This is the department of useless techniques. Mechanical Avunculogratulation, for example, is how to build machines for greeting uncles. We're not sure, though, if Pylocatabasis belongs, since it's the art of being saved by a hair. Somehow that doesn't seem completely uselss."

Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Be my guest, Noeman.

Just be aware of how many screens you're talking about. [Eek!]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, when did you start reading Eco? I never knew! [Eek!] And why haven't you been on AIM?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon! Dude! I have never forgotten that phrase either! But it's Barsoomian bisyllable! JorJor for George Orr. Apparently the people on Barsoom (I never read Edgar Rice Burroughs myself, but I'm guessing) are all called JarJar and BingBing and so on.

The alliteration of that phrase is so great! Barsoomian bisyllable. [Big Grin] Truly, Q, these are, as you say, my people!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw. the coolest word in the english language is "evanescence". [Big Grin] Really, it is.

Too bad "super-cali-fragile-istic-expi-ali-doshus" isn't in the dictionary. [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Faulkner seemed to be quite fond of the word "effluvium" esp. in its plural form of "effluvia." I love Faulkner, but because of that, I've never been tempted to use the word in my own writing -- he kind of ruined it for me cause otherwise it's a cool word.

-----
zyzzyva is also the name of a West coast literary/arts journal. But The Rabbit probably already knew that.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
zyzzyva just reminds me of xyzzy.

How could I forget about googolplex? I completely fell in love with both googol and googolplex when I first heard them in high school. Which explains why I was tickled pink when Google first came around, though I was also a bit annoyed that they spelled it wrong.

And yeah, a googolplex of movie theaters boggles the mind! That'd be, like, a theater for every molecule in the universe. [Eek!]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my history teacher what defenestrated meant, because it was in a history article I was reading, and he gave the dictionary. It wasn't in there, I asked him, and turned out he didn't know.

It is a cool word.

Adding a pro to antidisestablishmentarianism makes it an even better word (and very confusing- you are for the people who fight against people who fight against the establishment.)

"Hello, I'm proantidisestablishmentarianism. Are you?"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Sternutation.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are looking mighty callipygian today.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Friend,
I am a former genral in the Canadian Armed forces, eh, who has escaped the recent conflicts with two hundreds million dollars (Cdn) and twelve Skyhawk helicopters--I am at present sitting in one, the other eleven have been stored in Newfundland--the bombs are falling now. I need a secured bank account in a developed nation in which to deposit this money (and some safety-deposit boxes for the Skyhawks). If you will only--wjhat is that smoke coming out of the turret?--if you will, dear friend, only respond with your persoanl account number I will condider sharing 1% (Cdn) of this koney with you. That is.......200 dollars (Cdn), for only your secured bank account number (and the safety-deposit boxes)--is that oil pressure gauge correct?--then fix it you fool!, eh. I eagerly await your prompt response--Mayday!
Genral Lance "Contiki" Bay

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like pulchritudinous. It's such an ugly word for pretty.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
The Defenestration of Prauge was probably the greatest moment in European history. Its just so hilarious.

My favorite word right now though is isogloss. I just love saying that word. Isogloss.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's "intermestic" although I'm pretty confident that the guy who invented the term pulled it out of his hat.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Speed votes for "quadrilogy".
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Priapism--best medication side effect ever. My doc thought it amusing that I knew what it meant. [Razz]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a funny thread. Tons of vocab fun!! I like Transubstantiationalist myself, but that's because when I say it with my fake speech impediment it sounds hilarious. [Smile]

One of my favorite words though has to be puissant. An old friend commented on his discovery of it a long while back and we both got really good at using it in sentences. Then, I found it in Return of the King in a conversation between Faramir and Eowyn. I was very very pleased to say the least!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Tintinnabulation. Great meaning, and fun to say.

And for longest word--
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
We learned it in the fifth grade. If I remember correctly, it is a disease in which the ultra-microscopic silicon dust of a volcano gets in the lungs.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I have another friend that can say that really long word on command Jill. I'm SURE it's the same word and it's funny that he's not the only one in the world that has it memorized to impress his friends. [Smile] *goes off to memorize the word*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia- Good luck! (it's pronounced pretty much the way it's spelled, and if you memorize the meaning the rest will come quickly)

And I forgot humuhumunukunukuapuaa, the coolest Hawaiian fish (also pronounced the way it is spelled).

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.