FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally getting out of here

Author Topic: Finally getting out of here
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow morning at 6AM I will be starting my flight to San Diego California [Smile] .

For those of you who saw my legal problems thread, I decided to store my car here for a while, and do it all legally. I will try to get the California license out there, but if not I will just fly back and get the car when the penalty period runs out.

I have a reservation at a hotel there, and about 20 apartment listings ready for me to check out when I get there. I'm hoping I can get one ASAP, as a week in an apartment is almost an entire months rent.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, and for putting up with me talking about moving for the past 4 months or so.

Any Southern California hatrackers who want to hang out or show me around, call me at (315) 532-2009. In a bit I will change that to a San Diego number, so if that one doesn't work email me at meyerx10@msn.com Papa Moose, I'd love to make a trip up to your neck of the woods, but without the car I think I will need to be more familiar with the public transportation of SoCal before I attempt it.

I also won't be at hatrack in the near future, until I can get an internet service out there. Likely whatever broadband is available, since I bought a cell-phone to use instead of a landline. I haven't posted much recently anyway, so I doubt anyone will even notice, but oh well.

Talk to you guys in a bit. Take care of the place for me...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Come back soon dude. If you go up to San Francisco, let me know!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Idle curiosity, if you won't have internet access, how will you check your e-mail if people can't get a hold of you with that phone number?

[Wink]

Have a good trip and good luck finding an apartment!

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Every public library has access to the internet. Schools and I-cafes are another source. All kinds of public access exists, just hit and run until you get your own.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Xav. I hope everything works out. [Smile]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Xavier. You really rose to the challenge of life. Well-done. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers, Phil. Knock 'em dead.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlin The Sage
Member # 5931

- posted      Profile for Merlin The Sage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful. Good for thy Xav. I hope things work out for ye. You have truley weilded the power of bravery and conquered a grand problem in ye's life.

The Ancient One
-Merlin

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You're that much closer to the "Happiest Place on Earth"!!!!

Yep. There's a tour bus to TJ daily.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav, we'd love to have you come visit at any ol' time. Also, I have done a little checking on your behalf, and if you find yourself unable to find a place to live in short enough time, you are welcome to stay at my parents' house. They would need a couple days' notice to clear junk out of the guest room, though, and they're in the process of remodeling the kitchen, so loud noises could begin early in the morning. Drop a line here or to my e-mail if you'd like more info.

Welcome (slightly early) to California!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Xav's coming!

Xavier, if we have a get-together on a day I can come, I volunteer to come down to San Diego and pick you up. I have friends down that-a-way that I should get around to visiting anyway.

Congrats for figuring out a way to do it legally. Good for you!

Have a safe flight.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!! Get internet soon!! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to California, when you get here, Xav.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Xav! Find some library and get online from time to time. Let us know how you are doing.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Great, dude. You say this as I plan a future move to NYC.

You'll love it here. Especially San Diego, damn. Get an apartment close enough to UCSD, and I hear you'll get to great parties every weekend.

Hope you like Mexicans...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Xav! Let us know how you are doing, even before you get internet access at home. Keep us up to date on the apartment search, etc. <<<<Xav>>>>
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Hey guys [Smile] .

I am currently typing this on an iMac at the apple store in Fasion Valley Mall. Hopefully when the salesguy notices he will be cool about me stealing some internet time. I feel a little bad cause I would never actually buy an apple product. Well, maybe one of the snazzy monitors if I was rich [Smile] .

Okay, well, I'm getting better aquainted with the bus and trolly system. Having had a car since I was 17 and never living in a city, this is all very new to me.

The city is everything I hoped for, and maybe even a little more. At least what I have seen so far. The palm trees and ther vegitation are great, and the weather is incredible. Plus the people are very friendly. Every stranger I have talked to has been really helpful, way more than they would be where I'm from. I guess its hard to be mean when you're in paridise. I haven't been to the beach yet, but I did see the Pacific yesterday for the first time.

I've only looked at one apartment so far, and it was about a third the size of my bedroom in New York. The ones I found on the internet don't seem to be the cream of the crop, so I got a paper and I'm gonna look at some from there today. They tell me that The Reader is where the best apartment listings are, but that doesn't come out until tomorrow. In the paper were a couple studios in downtown that are rented on a weekly rate, so I'm thinking I'll get one of those until I find a better place. Maybe even look at the roomate listings. I need friends out here, and having a roomate seems like a way to meet some people. My only complaint so far is that I wish I had someone to share this experience with.

I probably won't need to stay with your parents Moose, but its nice to know in case I run into some difficutlies.

Thats awesome Rivka, we should have one soon!

Eddie, NYC rocks, I was considering going there for a little bit, but it wasn't far enough away and its still pretty cold (though gets nowhere near as much snow as Oswego).

Thanks for the comments all, I'll keep you guys posted.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you made it to CA safe and sound! I hope that you will be able to find a place to live that will meet your needs and not cost an arm and a leg! Good luck on your new adventure in life! I'm proud of you for dealing with your car stuff legally and I hope you are rewarded by good karma accordingly! [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, xav, that is so cool!

i am going to be in LA this weekend, but really only for a day, so i probably won't have time to make it to SD.
however, i do have a good friend that used to live in san diego and will probably move back down there in six months - a year and still has friends down there.
i will ask him if he knows of anyone moving out or looking for roommates.
keep an eye on this thread.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Xav,

First, welcome to California! I hope you like it out here. San Diego is a great town, and if you like it now, just wait until the summer!

I don't know much about where to look for a place. I have some friends that lived in Clairemont and now Mira Mesa, and I think the housing up there might be a bit cheaper, but without a car it'd be harder to get around than if you lived more in the middle of things. Anyway, good luck with that!

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Xav, you r0x0r. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Just tell me when, Xav. [Smile] I had lots of people give me rides back when I was dependent on the MTA. I figure I'm working off the karmic debt, as it were. [Big Grin]

Good luck finding an apartment!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Hey everyone. Thought I would give an update.

Well, to start, I'm typing this in the internet cafe type thing in Horton Plaza. Interestingly enough, The Governator is about 200 feet from me as I write this. At least I think he is. I had no idea he was coming to Horton Plaza, but theres a pretty big crowd outside and theres music playing. Then about 15 minutes ago the announcer guy said that he was coming in 5 minutes. I haven't heard him speak or anything, so I don't know if he is there yet. Personally, I'm not sure that I care either way. I'm not really an Arnold groupie, and have never been all that impressed with famous people. Famous guys anyway. If it was Jessica Alba or Kristen Kreuk out there I would be pushing my way to the front [Wink] .

I'm not staying in the hotel anymore, but haven't yet found something long term. Right now I'm in the Baltic Inn, in a "studio apartment". The name is sort of misleading though, as "prison cell where you can come and go" is more accurate [Smile] . Its about a 10 by 10 room, with a toilet, mini-fridge, and microwave in the room. The showers are shared and are located in the hallways. The main reason I am there is cause its only week to week, and is pretty cheap. Its also in the heart of downtown, which is nice.

Oh, Arnold is talking now by the way.

Anyway, I'm using "The Box" that I'm staying in as my base of operations while looking for somewhere better. Its pretty frustrating actually. I've looked at one apartment every day about, but I've called literally about 60 different places. Nothing really has been a good fit so far. I'm switching back in forth between looking at the single apartments and the roomate listings. Both have their good and bad aspects.

The roomate one is hard because I can't seem to find a place with the right people. One apartment was okay, but the lady was in her late 30s or early 40s and I couldn't really see how that would work. Another one is a setup where there is an elderly couple owning the house and living there. They seemed like nice people, but not what I had in mind. As far as the other dozen listings that seem promising, the people are either not there or have already rented it out.

The singles are just so expensive, and while I did find a really amazing place, the lease was for a year and thats just not something I can commit to. Plus I'm not sure I could pass the credit check. Which is a problem with most rentals from real estate companies I've looked at.

So I'm still looking, and will keep looking until I get something compatible with my situation. So far I've been to Clairemont, Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Downtown, and the college area looking. At least I'm seeing the city while searching. The anxiety levels are rising though. Plus when I get a place, I still need to get a job. I'm willing to do just about anything at first, as long as it pays the rent. Then I will start sending resumes to software companies around here, and pretty soon I should apply to grad schools if I'm going to.

Well my time is almost up though there was more I was going to say. I can always come back here, its only a few blocks from where I'm staying.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This is quite an adventure! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck! Apartment hunting is never fun; add in a tight budget, and it's torture. Hope you find something soon. [Smile]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Find a new place yet?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.