FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirates of the Caribbean DVD

Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean DVD
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
...is so cool!

19 deleted or extended scenes. Bloopers. Documentaries, diaries, galleries, scene deconstructions, histories of the ride, lots of commentaries by the stars and the director and the scriptwriters. An interactive history of pirates. A documentary on the ships used.

And the DVD-rom stuff includes a virtual viewer for the ride, a scriptscanner that lets you follow along with the movie, a storyboard viewer, and coolest of all, an effects studio that lets you scan in your own portrait and see yourself as a cursed pirate.

Some of the easter eggs include a time-lapse movie of the cave set being built, and a computer model runthrough of the ship battle scene.

"And really bad eggs..."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
It's out!!!?

I saw that movie 9 times in theatre ( I only stopped cause that's my lucky number )

Yayy! - Christmas time is coming! And I know what's on my list!

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on sale December 2nd. Think of this as an annoying teaser.

Easter eggs:

On the 2nd disc, click on "Fly on the Set," move right to highlight the monkey's fang, and press Enter on it to see a time-lapse movie of the construction of the Pirate's Cave set.

On the 2nd disc, click on "Below Deck," move left to highlight the medallion,and hit Enter to seean animated computer model runthrough of the ship-to-ship battle sequence.

[ November 23, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. My sister's birthday is December 3rd... I wonder if she'd like it too much to let me borrow it soon afterward.

I haven't seen the movie yet, although I tried to go a few times, then got busy, thinking "Ah, it'll still be here next week." And then it wasn't. To top it off, I've had the music from it stuck in my head on and off since the middle of September because the marching band I'm in did a Pirates of the Caribbean show. (And it was a really great show, if you're into that sort of thing.)

[ November 23, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great movie. Plus, my X-Men II: X-Men United DVD's arriving right on top of it, courtesy of Amazon.com.

The only depressing bit about Pirates' greatness is that the other Disney movie, Haunted House, looks like it won't be half the fun Pirates was.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Looks like you're right.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's gotten to where I'm not interested in Eddie Murphy if he's not animated.

Aarrrrrrh?

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: how did you do that? I thought the DVD wasn't out yet...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so getting that DVD. [Big Grin]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Officially, no. At a stall at the flea market I visited looking for cute birthday presents for my wife, yes.
I was very surprised to see it there, considering retail places don't usually even get DVDs that early, it was a booth that's been there for several years and has a good rep, and they were prolly risking fines and Disney wrath by offering it before the release date. Not a bootleg, but a bit shady nonetheless. To square it ethically in my mind, I'm treating it like a review copy and praising it to the skies, which I would have done anyway since it is really very cool and almost makes up for the complete, utter, total lack of marketing for the movie.
Which frankly still confuses me. No t-shirts, no Lego Black Pearl sets, no action figures, no cursed medallion necklaces, no stuffed rotting monkeys, no nothing. Not even a novelization. Just a soundtrack, and now this. I could almost understand it from anyone else, maybe even respect it, but this is Disney. Disney! They can no more resist marketing spinoffs than I can resist Chick-Fil-A's sweet tea. Something is truly weird there.

Anyway, she was nicely surprised, if "surprised" can be defined as "squealing loudly in the middle of Golden Corral during the breakfast buffet" (where we gave her her prezzies).

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

My friends at Disney inform me that the MAF (Mickey's Air Force) is planning sorties over your place and HATRACK as I write this.

If the BB goes down, it's all your fault!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I am currently posting from a secret, undisclosed location. Do not try to find me or trace this transmission in any way.

Just finished watching it with the Gore Verbinski/Johnny Depp commentary turned on. Aside from some repetitive "Oh he's great, yeah, she's just amazing" comments, it's pretty good. You get to hear about the scenes that weren't included, why they were cut, and how some of the shots were put together. There were quite a few scenes that were shot in pieces and spliced later that I hadn't noticed at all, which surprised me.

Next, the Ted Elliott/Terry Rossio commentary. I'm looking forward to that...

[ November 25, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, I saw a book version of it in the Children's section of B+N a while back
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<chop chop chop chop>

Whoa! Was that a black helicopter circling Hatrack???!!!

Chris! You've done it now!

Run for your lives. Every man for himself!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Golden Corral breakfast buffet! Man alive, I am so jealous.

Oh, yeah, that DVD looks alright too, huh...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Toretha - really? I checked online bookstores for the title and didn't see anything, but I haven't gone and actually looked. I'm afraid to, it is physically impossible for me to leave a bookstore without buying at least one book, and that's only if I have armed guards keeping me from more.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's out! Everybody go get it so we can talk!

Listened to part of the screenwriters' commentary this morning. Trivia nugget: the dust thrown at Will in the blacksmith fight scene was cocoa powder, which means that you've got a chocolate-covered Orlando Bloom.

I'll step back for a bit while you think about that...

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*fans self*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
::drools:: Chocolate... Orlando... Mmmm...

My friend's getting it yet this morning and we're going to have a lunchtime Blooper Reel viewing. We can't live without Pirates anymore - it's been a month since I've seen the movie! A whole entire month!!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I went and got it at Media Play last night at midnight. They even handed out little pirate flags with each purchase. [Smile]

I didn't get the chance to watch much last night, but the bloopers and deleted scenes were great. And the cheesy little "Diary of a Pirate" part cracked me up.

*sigh*

Chocolate-covered Orlando Bloom???

*swoons* [Wink]

It's just so great!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MegaMan
Member # 5979

- posted      Profile for MegaMan   Email MegaMan         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked it up at Safeway while shopping for milk and cereal. It's funny how a trip to buy breakfast food turns into a $20 DVD purchase.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*covets PotC on DVD*

O God, and I have to wait until Christmas.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.