FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sharp Cheddar Is The Best Cheese, Discuss *Composes Self, Poofs Hair* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sharp Cheddar Is The Best Cheese, Discuss *Composes Self, Poofs Hair*
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... Apple and cheese. That's the best.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you talking about? Salame is the best with cheddar! [Razz]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimo
Member # 5933

- posted      Profile for Kimo   Email Kimo         Edit/Delete Post 
Try a slice of chedder on a fresh piece of soft flaky crust apple pie (granny smith apples preffered with a butter crust).

Best runner up for cheese is a big slab of feta on a gyros at my favoriate greek deli, or feta crumbled over fresh vine rippened tomatoes sprinkled with minced basil.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I... don't...think...so. [Razz]

[Smile] jk

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I'm totally impressed. 2 pages of discussion about cheese!

I adore any kind of cheese. It's really sick actually. In Logan, UT when I lived there, we would always stop by Gosner's cheese factory and I would buy cheddar cheese curds by the pound.

Oh my yumminess.

I'm also a huge fan of CREAM CHEESE. In Estonia, where everything has a dairy product in it or on it, they have all sorts of many great flavors of cream cheese. They also have little individually wrapped chocolate covered cheesecake like things that they call "sweet cheese" and they eat them for breakfast!! Man, I miss Estonia!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Dayam do I love cream cheese... Oh yes. I like the regular kind and the strawberry kind... And the veggie kind. I love cheese of all kinds. Mmmm....
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what sad times are these...when Hatrackers posture over something as trivial as cheese.

I love all cheeses. Except bleu and feta, for texture purposes.

Age or country of origin has little bearing on my likes...

Cheddar, the most versatile of cheeses.

Munster...oh, the wonderful texture. I could eat you by the pound. And on occasion, do.

Provolone, I will place you inside any sandwich.

Jalapeno Jack, you make quesadillas lots of fun.

Parmesan and Romano--like peas and carrots, you will forever go together...and be sprinkled upon any food in heaping teaspoons.

Mozzarella, a pizza without you is scarcely a pizza at all.

Port Wine...you taste just like the cheese in Combos, so forgive me if I buy them instead...because they're cheaper.

Brie--you're just Jack with a crust. But I like you anyway. Though I'm always left wondering exactly what the white lining is for.

Cheese, right up there with the internet and the wheel, is one of man's greatest inventions.

In fact, I think I'll go buy wheels of cheese on the internet.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Swiss- *shudder*

Mozzarella- mmmmmm....

Pecorino Ramano- probably only Italians know what I'm talking about...Mmmmmmm....

Cheddar- Sharp is best. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Port Wine...you taste just like the cheese in Combos, so forgive me if I buy them instead...because they're cheaper.
Nope. The cheese in Combos is just spreadable cheddar; it doesn't have the port wine flavor.

But in either case, what you can't do with Combos that you can with Port Wine Cheddar is put it in omellettes, burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches . . .

Mmmmmm . . .

*drool*

::short-circuits thread::

Well, I suppose you could put Combos in all these things, and it might even be good, but it wouldn't be the same.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Smoked gouda and pepper jack can improve a sandwich in a way few other things can approach.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. Don't like "smoked" cheese or "pepper" cheese.

>_<

[ November 25, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm . . . smoked cheese . . .

Mmm . . . pepper cheese . . .

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm...white american cheese...not that nasty yellow kind...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I see lots of love for parmesan and romano, but has anybody mentioned the related, incredibly tasty, simply lovely -- asiago?

Asiago is great -- when it comes to just plain eatin I prefer it to parmesan (although parmesan is a must for pasta, pizza, etc.)

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

The best cheese for pasta is Pecorino Ramono. It is delicious! My grandmother even puts it in brijole. (ok, I have no idea how to spell that)
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way to equal sharp cheddar. But motzarella, parmesan, and a good provalone never get bad, and they never get out of line. But put cheddar with apple slices or grapes, and club crackers with either is just a godsend. and yes this thread is pathetic.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

No thread about cheese is ever pathetic. Hold your head high, Rhaeg.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He can't. He's too busy eating. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I love every cheese except Blue Cheese, which for some reason I can't stand. [Dont Know]
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka has hit it on the head.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Just so long as she didn't hit it on the head cheese.

Head cheese... ::shudder::

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

True we thinks.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

<----- He Who Refuses to Dance with Aspic

Seriously.

I hold the proud distinction of being the first LDS missionary to leave Romania without having ever being forced to taste aspic. Of course, I drank warm clotted milk, slurped stomach soup, and choked down a very dry cow liver the size of my fist, but no aspic -- managed to never even be served it somehow.

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Jalapeno Jack, you make quesadillas lots of fun.
Agreed. Although I do like Jabanero Jack on occasion too. [Smile]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I utterly forgot to mention chevre! I've recently converted 3 good friends to chevre. Now, when we need stay-up-late study food, rather than going for Ben & Jerry's, we get chevre and a baguette. Or a large block of chevre and two baguettes, as the case may be.

Mmmmmm-MM!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Here's a great thing to do with chevre.

Slice some bell peppers (red, yellow, or green in whatever combination or proportion you like) and some onions (whatever type you prefer, white, red, yellow, brown, etc) into thin strips and sautee in extra virgin olive oil until the onions have clarified and the peppers have softened.

Heat some flour tortillas however you prefer (microwave, pan, open flame, etc) until they are no longer stiff. Spread the chevre on the tortillas, then add the peppers and onions and fold the tortilla over. Put the resulting quesadilla-like creation in the oven at about 300 degrees until they are browned a bit (say, 5 to 10 minutes).

Eat.

Enjoy.

Annie
Member # 295

mmmm....

hey, I haven't had lunch!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

I had lunch today. Homemade pizza, wiht lots of Matzarella, Parmesan, Provalone, and American. A great meal.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Chevre also works very well on pizza. Especially mushroom pizza.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
While we were bike touring in Europe this summer, we rode over HochTannenberg Pass on a day when the local dairy farmers were cutting the wild flowers and wild grass from the nearly vertical mountain sides with scythes. They cut the grasses to make hay for the cows during winter so that they can make the traditional cheese. We bought some of the sharp mountain cheese (würzig Bergkäse) at the pass from a small family run cheese shop.

I am truly sorry, but after this experience I must strongly object to the assertion that sharp cheddar is the best cheese.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Moldy Cheese, mmmm.....
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Chevre also works very well on pizza. Especially mushroom pizza.
Mushrooms are disgusting!!! *pukes*

I don't like to see people eating fungus. [Razz]

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Mushrooms are disgusting, but anchovies are great.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like mushrooms. I don't like anchovies. I don't like cheddar. What is this, the thread of foods that Mr.Funny DOESN'T like?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't like mushrooms and anchovies, but I warn you, DON'T dis da cheddar. [Wink]
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't take it personally. I am not dissing cheddar, merely stating that I do not like it. I have already been mobbed once for this, and I have no desire to be mobbed again by that fool, Rhaegar [Wink] . I really like mozzarella (sp?) cheese, though. Good on pizza, unlike mushrooms and anchovies, which are not good on anything. Also, I suppose that cheddar in small doses is OK, but anything with more than a hint of cheddar I do not like.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

The best cheese is that sharp stuff they put on Greek salads. What's it called, fucci?

Mmm mmm good.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I've only ever had feta on Greek salads.

And you know, I never liked mushrooms either until my roommate made me eat one last spring. And I said, "Say, I like them, Sam-I-am!"

And now I eat them cut in half with italian dressing. And I eat them in the dark, and on a train, and with a goat, and in the rain.

I really need to go to sleep, don't I?

Nick
Member # 4311

No, because that was entertaining. [Big Grin]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mushrooms don't really have any flavor. It's like not liking lettuce. Geez, what freaks.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course mushrooms have flavor! A yummy one -- even buttons.

And then there are shitakes. And oysters. And *drools* portabellas.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm portabello mushrooms

I just spent a night up in the glasshouse montains (Qld) and we bought some really really nice washed rind soft-double cream type cheese that was very rich and strong but sooo good.

I had that cheese and quince paste for breakfast today
[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mushrooms have a texture. The taste is pretty good, but I'm not fond of anything spongy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've never had feta in anything but a Greek salad, try some spanikopita. You'll love it. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really late in the discussion but American Cheese is Cheddar.

From dictionary.com

quote:

American cheese
n.
A smooth, mild, white to yellow cheddar.

And there's nothing better than a good sharp cheddar. There were times when I would buy a block of extra sharp cheddar and eat it in two sittings. Don't do that anymore. I decided I wanted to live past 30.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is torture.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

No, American cheese is processed plastic wrap. It does not deserve the name of cheddar.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like cottage cheese. Until this fall, I hadn't eaten any in years. I guess my family just didn't get it very often. But then I moved away to college, they offered cottage cheese at nearly every meal in the salad bar. Mmmm, so tasty. Occasionally the quality varies, but usually they keep it nice, cold and fresh.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy cheese, Chedder variety.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Easy cheese isn't very good. Now Cheese Whiz is awesome!
Mmmmm...and cheese salsa...
*is getting hungry*

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.