FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Neato Hollywood Stories

Author Topic: Neato Hollywood Stories
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
During the filming of Wag the Dog (1997) Hoffman, his co-star Robert De Niro and director Barry Levinson had an impromptu meeting with President Clinton at a Washington hotel. Wag the Dog is a film about a president who fakes a war to draw attention away from his sex scandal. "So what's this movie about?" the president asked De Niro. De Niro looked over to Levinson hoping he would answer the question. Levinson, in turn, looked over to Hoffman. Hoffman, realizing there was no one else to pass the buck to, is quoted as saying "so I just started to tap dance. I can't even remember what I said."

John Wayne and his drinking buddy, actor Ward Bond, frequently played practical jokes on each other. In one incident, Bond bet Wayne that they could stand on opposite sides of a newspaper and Wayne wouldn't be able to hit him. Ward Bond set a sheet of newspaper down in a doorway, John Wayne stood on one end, and Bond slammed the door in his face, shouting "Try and hit me now!" Wayne responded by sending his fist through the door, flooring Bond (and winning the bet).

The evening before a shoot John Wayne was trying to get some sleep in a Las Vegas hotel. The suite directly below his was that of Frank Sinatra (never a good friend of Wayne), who was having a party. The noise kept Wayne awake, and each time he made a complaining phone call it quieted temporarily but each time eventually grew louder. Wayne at last appeared at Sinatra's door and told Frank to stop the noise. A Sinatra bodyguard of Wayne's size approached saying, "Nobody talks to Mr. Sinatra that way." Wayne looked at the man, turned as though to leave, then backhanded the bodyguard, who fell to the floor, where Wayne knocked him out by crashing a chair on top of him. The party noise stopped.

[ November 24, 2003, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the other two, but the Newspaper Door routine has been an Abbott & Costello comedy routine since the early 1930's. They stole it from Vaudeville. As such I doubt its Authenticity.

Unless its a fake Hollywood door, putting one's fist through a wooden door is difficult, and unless trained with martial arts, is likely to break bones or at the least, cause severe bleeding.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the John Wayne stories neat? An actor beats up people when the world doesn't conform to his wishes. That doesn't make him cool; that makes him selfish and abusive of his prestige.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
What a party pooper
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Why, because I don't consider selfish violence admirable?

What kind of parties do you have?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Republican?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Pop, that comment would horrify my grandmother from her perfectly-styled curls to the tips of her polished Italian pumps.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
knowing Sinatra's relations to the mob i doubt he or his friends would let anyone knock out one of his bodyguards and not perform some sort of retrobution.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first one was cool. I'll have to try that one on someone sometime. (And hope that the door locks so the other person doesn't simply open it!)
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. BS or not, I enjoyed the stories.

And now I know...the rest of the story. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(noogies Storm Saxon) You're a cool guy.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
They're all from IMDB. So, I doubt if they're BS, because those guys make a living off of this stuff, but, hey, they sure could be.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.