FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spinning Fairy Tales

Author Topic: Spinning Fairy Tales
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Rumplestilskin and Sleeping Beauty. These both had spinning in them. But what we've taken to be magic was actually based far more on reality than we realized.

Learned this at my daughters class when they had a visitor. I volunteered to help out, and got treated with a wonderful but all too brief history of spinning. I love learning new things.

Spinning straw into gold:

Flax, when dried, has fibers inside the stalk that can be spun. It looks like straw or hay when bundled up, ready to spin. The fibers are a shimmery yellow, and the cloth, linen, woven from the threads spun from flax fibers is slightly gold. It used to be that only royalty could wear it.

She will prick her finger on a spindle and DIE:

A rather wierd curse, we in these modern ages might think. A curse only an accomplished sorceress would make. Why would Sleeping Beauty poke her finger on the spindle, on purpose, unless hypnotized by the villaneous fairy? Ahhh, Disney has been warping things for many decades. The spindle didn't actually point up. There were no bobbins, and the thread would wind around the spindle. Once it wound to the front edge, the woman spinning would have to flip it to the back so that she could wind more thread on. During the motion of flipping the thread back, it was not unusual for someone to prick their finger.

So why would they make the spindle sharp? They didnt, but it would become sharpened by the threads as they slipped around the top while it was spinning.

And why would she die? Its only a little prick. The spindle was metal. The fibers, usually wool, being spun were not cleaned. Think of this: even the royalty wore this. All the oils, sweat, dirt and sometimes even urine were still on the fibers, a rather nice harbor for bacteria. So, while not common, it would not be unheard of for someone to prick their finger on a spindle and get tetanus or any other number of diseases and die. Now it does not become a curse that requires some kind of magical intervention, but instead a curse of a very real possibility and therefore became very frightening when it was probably given to the king's daughter by the local hag.

Also, spinning wheels were invented in Asia and came to europe by way of diplomatic gifts to royalty. Before that, they used a drop spinner. Spinning wheels, obviously, being an advanced technology, were only allowed for a time in the royal households. Only queens and princesses could use them. The modern version of Rumplestilskin moves away from the maiden being a princess, because in its development princesses didn't do any common work, and just says the king was very impressed and moved her into a castle. But in earlier versions, she was almost certainly a princess. In Sleeping Beauty, as modern folk, we aren't sure why she would even be around a spinning wheel. But in earlier times, the folk hearing the story would expect her to actually be using it.

[ November 25, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love learning stuff like this. [Smile] Thanks, Amka -- that was fascinating.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really interesting, Amka.
Have you guys ever read "Spindle's End" by Robin McKinley? In this one the whole country started using blunt ends on the spindles after the curse. I love books that re-tell fairy tales. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
coolness. I read about drop-spinning in the earliest of the "little house" derivatives. It's like a top that hangs by the yarn to spin it. Pretty cool.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really interesting! Makes me wonder about other fairy tales and how they've been twisted...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really interested in spinning wheels in high school -- I learned to spin with a drop spindle, and then my dad took me to meet a guy who made wooden spinning wheels. Then Mom and Dad got one for my 16th birthday.

A couple years ago my brother arrived for Christmas before the rest of the family so I assigned him to decorate while I frantically cleaned. He decorated my spinning wheel. I thought it looked magical.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a neat little history!
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
spinning wheels were invented in Asia and came to europe
A great many fair tales / folk tales of europe came through india, at one point or another. You can find a different versions of many of the tales that represented the culture of the area they were from, many of them also did not start out as stories nearly exclusivly for children and featured things like canibalism, murder, incest, etc.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
An original copy of Grimm's fairy tales is indeed rather.... grim.

I really like the spinning information, though. It's so funny that due to these stories, we all know what a spinning wheel is, though it's been obsolete for centuries. Too bad there aren't more stories about butter churns.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Eru, I read that book... but I don't remember much of it, except for the cover... it was all flowers, and that it was a good book.

*shrug*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, do you use your spinning wheel? Or is it decoration? I learned to spin from a friend years ago, and have always thought it a really theraputic hobby. I haven't done it in years though...and since I don't knit there really isn't any real reason to pick it up again. Maybe someday....

Amka, that was a cool history. Thanks for sharing it!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Makes me wonder about other fairy tales and how they've been twisted...
Me too! I love reading about the evolution of stories, be they fairy tales or tall tales or any tales in general. I'm not sure why I find it fascinating, but I surely do. Maybe it's my love of myth... hmm...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Annie asked for fairy tales with butter churns. Seemed to me there ought to be some. So I looked.

You can hide in a butter churn.
Poor guy!
The little boy who milked the cat.
Laziness will get you nowhere.
You can hide money in one.
Well, the churn is only tangential to this one, but I thought it was hysterical.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the last one Rivka.

This comment
quote:
(3) "This is a shaggy dog story!" [You say that as though it were a bad thing.]

reminds me of the Asimov short story 'Shah Guido G'. One of the funniest shaggy dog stories I've ever read. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Isn't it great? I bookmarked it. I am sure that someday, I will need that story. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.