FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Share your Thanksgiving menus and recipes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Share your Thanksgiving menus and recipes
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious to know if anyone does a vegetarian thanksgiving. We don't, but I know some people do.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out I'm going to be doing a very small Thanksgiving.

We were expecting my brother and his wife and their two kids, in addition to me, my kids and my mom. Wes is at the station.

Now, they aren't coming, so it's just my kids my mom and me. Given that I'll probably just do a turkey breast as opposed to roasting and entire turkey.

Wes will be having a traditional thanksgiving supper at the station - I'm responsible for making their green bean casserole. It will be a rather quiet and subdued day - maybe I'll rent some kids movies and we'll eat early, then pop some popcorn or even roast some marshmallows over the fireplace. That might be fun.

Of course there's our other Thanksgiving tradition - after you clean the dishes you sit down with all the sale papers from the newspaper and plan some shopping!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be alone here, plus on call Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sunday. That's 96 hours straight, right? I'll probably have tons of goofing off time, but it will be unpredictable. I think I've decided I want to make my family's famous stuffing and maybe a cornish hen or smal chicken or something to go with that. I can eat that allll week. Yum. Tempting to make cranberries but a bag would make too much and I'm not interested in the canned kind. Some gravy made from whatever poultry I make, for moistening the stuffing.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Belle, there are some good TV specials aimed at kids on TV on Thanksgiving. We always enjoyed watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. There's also a Charlie Brown special on, followed by Finding Nemo. [Smile]

Theca, you know you can always freeze the cranberries you don't want to use right now. Just remove what you want from the bag and freeze the rest. They freeze easily and last a long time in the freezer. I do it all the time.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Speaking of a vegetarian Thanksgiving, I was just made aware of the Tofurky site. I am not too big on fake meat substitutes, but wondered if anyone has had this stuff, and if it's any good.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had it. I think it's nasty.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
rotisserie turkey on the grill
my mother's delicious stuffing
sweet potatoes, some just with butter and some with brown sugar and marshmallows
mashed potatoes
gravy
acorn squash with plenty of butter (my favorite part)
cranberry sauce (with can ridges still intact)
warm rolls with butter
cheese & summer sausage tray
olive & pickle tray
cute little bite size french silk, banana creme, and cherry pies
a regular sized pumpkin pie
roasted chestnuts (I think they are disgusting, but everyone else seems to enjoy them)

This is basically the same menu as every year, except for last year when we tried turducken, which was a complete disaster.

[ November 23, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
(Copied from the Holiday Recepies thread)

Because no one else has (really) posted recipies, which was in the title, I shall. That and to appease Ela... :]

So,
Pumpkin Cake!!!

-The cake!-
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (though I prefer more...)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cloves
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 scant cup oil
  • 1 can of pumpkin (uh...whatever size most cans are, I suppose)

-The frosting!-
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3 oz cream cheese (here again, I prefer more)
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or if you want to sound fancy, "confectioners' sugar")
  • 1 tsp vanilla (Guess what! I think that you can't go wrong with more!)
  • food coloring is a must

-And here's what you do!-
  • Set your oven for 350 degrees, middle rack
  • Combine all wet stuff in your mixer
  • Combine dry stuff in a separate bowl
  • With the mixer running (slowly!), pour in a cup or so of the dry stuff at a time
  • Mix well, but not overly
  • Pour into a well greased jelly roll pan (9x16 or thereabouts, I'm not sure) and shake to get the air bubbles out
  • Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out slightly damp and the top is brownish

And, when the cake is completely cooled, you can frost it
  • Mix room temperature butter and cream cheese until no lumps are left and is somewhat fluffy
  • Slowly add powdered sugar
  • And then add vanilla and food coloring

We eat it for dessert and for breakfast. And it'll serve whoever gets there first. Woo...oh,a nd because it has cream cheese, you should probably refrigerate it, provided there's any left. </not exaggering>

[EDIT] Please note that this isn't just a holiday recipe, but can, and is, enjoyed any time of the year. [/EDIT]

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I would post a recipe, but all I am trusted with is taking the cranberry sauce out of the can. If I'm lucky, I may get to cut up the cheese and sausage. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Pumpkin cake sounds yummy. The recipe sounds sort of similar to a carrot cake, with that cream cheese frosting.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very similar, except it tends to be a tad moister. More moist? ..The water content is higher.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
bumpkin
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!

Americans.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thread - I'm glad it's around.

I may be making a Thanksgiving dinner with my roommates. I am not going anywhere for Thanksgiving and while Matt has family here, they might not be around for it. Matt also has tests due that day at noon and it is entirely possible he will be studying/writing all day. All three of my roommates will be in town, so, I think we are going to make Thanksgiving dinner.

This will be a first for all of us. Fun! [Smile] I'll make my grandmother's pies and whatever else we can come up with. I think we are going to invite any other people who aren't going home as well, to fill the house.

So, if you live in D.C. and aren't going to see family, you are invited to katharina's house for Thanksgiving dinner. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Cranberry sauce.

1 can cranberry sauce

Open 1 can cranberry sauce. Put it on a plate and set it on the table.

-----------------

I've done a veggie Txgiving. I brought the dressing (no chicken broth). My hosts did fondue.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former vegetarian, who still eats the fake meat, I think you'd be better off with Dinner Roast, not Tofurkey.

This stuff is awesome: Worthington Loma Linda: Dinner Roast

My brothers, who both eat meat, love it, but they had it when they were vegetarians.

My husband, on the other hand, has NEVER been a vegetarian, and was introduced to the loaf after marrying me. He LOVES it.

So... there ya go...

Now we have vegetarian/meat hybrid thanksgiving and christmas meals--although it's not really fair, since the meat-eaters always take some of the dinner roast, too. It goes *fast*.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, if you live in D.C. and aren't going to see family, you are invited to katharina's house for Thanksgiving dinner.
I wish I were in DC!
It sounds like you will have a great day.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Whoa, this is an old thread. I can't believe it's still around.

Thanks for bumping it, there are some good recipes here. [Smile]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I didn't even notice it was so old. Did you end up going with tofurky?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm spreading the goodness of my evidently not so cobblery cobbler.

1 can of crushed pineapple
1 can of pie filling (whatever flavor. I'm a fan of blueberry myself)
1 vanilla cake mix
1 or so sticks of butter

Get yourself a pan type dealio. A rectangular one with sides. The size isn't overly important. It depends on how you like it (bigger pan = more dry). Put the pineapple on the bottom. Spread it around. Then put the pie filling on top of that. Sprrreeaadddd it around. Then put the cake mix on top of that. You know what to do. Spread it around! Then slice up the stick of butter and stick the squares all around the cake mix. I can't remember how much I usually use, but have them probably be an inch or two apart. Maybe less if you like butter. If you don't have butter, I've heard canola oil works (we'll see when I get mine out of the oven). Put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350. Enjoy! It's especially good served warm with vanilla ice cream.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I'm spreading the goodness of my evidently not so cobblery cobbler.

1 can of crushed pineapple
1 can of pie filling (whatever flavor. I'm a fan of blueberry myself)
1 vanilla cake mix
1 or so sticks of butter

... Then put the cake mix on top of that. You know what to do. Spread it around! ...

Do you mix up the cake mix as per box instructions, or do you just use it dry?

Sounds sinful. [Smile]

[ November 22, 2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.