FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best. Thing. Ever.

Author Topic: Best. Thing. Ever.
MegaMan
Member # 5979

- posted      Profile for MegaMan   Email MegaMan         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was but a young'un, my father bought for me and my brothers a brand new nintendo entertainment system. Not one year later, I was introduced to a video game which became the bane of my existence for a solid month of summer vacation. Time which I should have spent outside, enjoying the vitality of youth, was instead wasted as I sat inches away from a 20 year old television, surrounded by it's warm, staticky glow, ensuring that I would one day need glasses. For what purpose? It was my goal in life to finish Megaman 2, quite possibly the most difficult video game I have ever played in my life.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I received this e-mail.

The dude who did this is my hero.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the holy grails from my college days was to beat The Legend of Zelda in under 2 hours. Don't know if anyone ever actually managed it.

Another was to eat three Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburgers in 75 minutes. That one also never came to fruition.

Good times.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MegaMan
Member # 5979

Wow!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm....MegaMan- You might want to fix your links. When I clicked on them all I got was a lot of mumbo-jumbo. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MegaMan
Member # 5979

If you have windows media player, there should be nothing wrong with them.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well that would be the problem then. [Razz]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was but a young'un, my father bought for me and my brothers a brand new nintendo entertainment system. Not one year later, I was introduced to a video game which became the bane of my existence for a solid month of summer vacation. Time which I should have spent outside, enjoying the vitality of youth, was instead wasted as I sat inches away from a 20 year old television, surrounded by it's warm, staticky glow, ensuring that I would one day need glasses. For what purpose? It was my goal in life to finish Megaman 2, quite possibly the most difficult video game I have ever played in my life.

dude! Me too, like 3rd or 4th grade summer. Day, nihgt, day again. We made "Hit Charts" to find out which weapons worked best on which boss. Never was the same after 2, and 1 sucked.
Thanks for the reminder of such happy days!!

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, these videos are fun and all. But the best "look how quickly I can beat this game!" videos are the "Quake Done Quicker" ones.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another was to eat three Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburgers in 75 minutes. That one also never came to fruition.
This really isn't that great a feat. I have done this, and on a separate occasion, eaten 3 footlong steak and cheese Subway sandwiches with the works in 45 minutes. My third one was free for doing that. I don't understand the fascination with people being impressed by how much you could eat. It just means you're that much greedier, or that big of a pig. (Obviously, I'm a huge pig.) Mostly, it's just embarrassing, like the time I ordered a dessert in UAE, ate it all, and found out it was s'posed to be for four people...the horrified look on our waitress's face will haunt me forever...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading this thread aloud to hubby, and he said "Oh the way that people live who don't have sex." Before you flame me, you should know he broke the keyboard last night playing Formula One Racing.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
But does he get sex?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[ROFL] [No No] [Blushing]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
shit i was playing megaman2,3 and 4 like 3 or 4 DAYS ago and still i get my ass whipped. every time. i hate those games so much. i love to play them. i hate those games so much. bastards.

[ December 03, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently having a love-hate relationship with F-Zero GX on the GameCube. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of having a "love/hate" relationship with a Game Cube, but was afraid I'd electrocute myself.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The only MegaMan game my brother and I had any problem with was the first one. The rest of them we actually found quite simple and would usually finish them in a week or less. I don't think we ever finished the first one without cheating (using a friends game genie). I still think the second was my favourite though.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

We had an extra keyboard, but my kids broke the mouse playing the "Finding Nemo" CD ROM that for some odd reason came with my Mom's DVD and not the one we bought. Anyway, the man goes out shopping for a new mouse and comes home with two steering wheel controllers that were on sale for 0.99 a piece at Best Buy.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is- Rom, Emulator, Slowed Emulation Speed, Very Patient Player, sped-up video.

Thank you.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spektyr
Member # 5954

- posted      Profile for Spektyr   Email Spektyr         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but it looks to me as though the movie you linked was the game run by a script. Two reasons.

1. There are no normal "human errors". The character does not move except to further goals. Normal people will push buttons or run around just random enough to dispel that appearance.

2. The main character flickers a little from time to time. That might be normal performance on the game machine in question (I never played the game myself), but it is also a common side-effect of running a game on an emulator. People have written emulators for Windows that allows the running of virtually any old game system game, and they often have that look. Additionally, doing it through an emulator would make exporting it to a Windows Media file all the easier. It also would make scripting the game easier.

Of course I could be wrong, but I just don't see anyone putting out such a perfect, robotic game performance.

[ December 06, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Spektyr ]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't perfect, there were at least three mistakes made that did not need to be.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.