FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Gods

Author Topic: American Gods
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone read/heard of this book? I read it recently and I found I enjoyed it immensely for reasons I find hard to explain. It's got kind've a desperate American spirituality to it. It's dark, mind you, really dark, but the vast majority of the pleasure of the book comes from the extremely clever imagination of the author, ie: putting the deities into modern life and making you guess who's who. It's a really character driven story, and if you know anything about Norse mythology you'll get an extra kick out of it. Although it might not be Neil Gaiman's greatest work, it did put him on the literary map, and is by no means a dull read.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I read it.
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a fun book, but, for me, ultimately unsatisfying. I loved it the first time through, but not so much in retrospect. I prefer his short stories.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MegaMan
Member # 5979

- posted      Profile for MegaMan   Email MegaMan         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman is awesome, and American Gods is, in my opinion, his least satisfying novel to date.

I really enjoyed Neverwhere. Speaking of which, has anybody seen the BBC series of Neverwhere?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a while since I read it, but as a long time fan of Gaiman's I remember grabbing it as soon as it came out, and for the first two thirds of the book, feeling as though that decision was well and truly justified. the last third, however, left me comparatively unenthused.

There is something about Neil Gaiman's storytelling which I find unique - but with American Gods I found that the longer the story progressed the less engaging it became. From a couple of startlingly original opening chapters, the book sort of slid back towards just average storytelling by the end.

I enjoyed the book overall, but really feel he could have done something more with it.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
I also read it a while ago. I remember getting quite a kick out of it, a very interesting read indeed. In retrospect i'm beggining to think that there were traces of exsistentialism in it, it remindes me of 'l'etranger' by Camus.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who made it his mission to get everyone he knew to read American Gods. It was my first Gaiman. I definitely liked it, but I can't say whether it was better or worse than his other works. I did read Coraline. Very, very good. I've got quite a few items on my reading list, but I'd like to read more Gaiman eventually.

The book did serve as an example during a conversation about religion. My friend and I were discussing the idea of a one true God. She liked the concept from the book of gods existing simply because people believe in them. I think that may be a discussion for another thread, if it hasn't been debated to death already. However, the point is that American Gods, whether or not it's Gaiman's best work, is a story that brings to light a lot of valid ideas and questions.

[edit to fix spelling]

[ December 02, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend read it, my other friend then read it, both said it was good. I saw it at Borders, thought 'what the hell' and bought it. I'm glad I did. Since then, I've read several other Gaiman books.

quote:
"Hey," sad Shadow, "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are."

The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and stared at him with bright eyes.

"Say 'Nevermore'," said Shadow.

"**** you." said the Raven. It said nothing else as they went through the woodland together.

Best conversation right there. [Razz]

[ December 02, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I mostly didn't like how there was basically another book inside the bigger book, namely the horror story of the small northern town; even though the idea tied into the whole lost myth theme.

Anyways, anyone here figure out what Shadow's first name was?

SPOILERS

It was Baldur.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jestak
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for Jestak   Email Jestak         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it started out slowly, progressed tediously and ended horribly. The idea was good, but not original, my paster has been preaching for years about the TV "god" and Tech "god" that we worship. I though the scene with Lucy flashing was funny, but other then that, I disliked it.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I believe the ending was meant to coincide with the Norse myth of Ragnarok, which I thought was pretty clever.
ae
Member # 3291

Hm. Sounds like it's gotten a decidedly mixed (is that an oxymoron?) reception.

Has anyone read Gaiman's short story collection Smoke & Mirrors? I think it's much better.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Book ! I haven't read 'American Gods', but I recommend Roger Zelanzny's 'Lord of the Light' to you and all the other 'god-fans' who posted in this topic.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Just in case someone decides to look for the books based on that recommendation, I should point out that it's spelt as "Zelazny", and the correct title is Lord of Light.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I thought I received my first tribute thread.

Darn that Neil Gaiman. Darn him straight to heck.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I did love that book...
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Thus far, of Gaiman's work I've read American Gods, Stardust, and Good Omens, and have liked all three. Actually, Good Omens is one of the few books that has ever made me laugh out loud.

I was having a conversation with celia about American Gods the other day. I liked it quite a bit, but she didn't. She ended up never being able to care about Shadow. Me, I thought the story was a neat idea, and I dig stories that put a mythic spin on America.

::shrug:: I guess it's not for everyone.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah. I, personally, really liked Shadow.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an excellent book. I liked Shadow but Laura was even cooler.
I wonder if the thing about the kobold is true... If people really did that. Can anyone tell me?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I remember first hearing about a kobold as like a leprechaun, only furrier, like an animal of some kind. I can see how that can evolve from the lucky child's corpse wrapped in furs. But as to certainty, google turns up a lot of foreign pages, so I still don't know how accurate that is.
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it started out slowly, progressed tediously and ended horribly
I agree! I was beginning to wonder if it was just me after reading this thread!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The concept of creating a fetish out of a sacrificed animal or human is pretty well documented in comparative mythology. Life, especially magically sustained life, springing from death is a dominant theme in many mythologies. Jesus said something like, "If a seed does not fall to the ground and die, it can't grow into a great tree." Many earlier religions focused on this idea in somewhat different ways. Cyclical events, such as the rising and setting of the sun or the changing of the seasons and thus the planting, growing, harvesting, and death of plants were assosciated with the idea of death and ressurrection or literal rebirth (e.g. the Egyptians myths have the sun impregnating his moon wife/mother as he died each night, and her giving birth to him each day...kind of makes the phoneix an onamism reference).

In regards to the gods being created by human belief, I've had a random idea of people as a sort of theogonic sperm. That is, gods create us so that we, through our acts of free will creativity create other gods. We're how they reproduce. I don't know, I think it's a neat idea, but I'm into comp myth and post-modernism, so you've got to expect that sort of thing.

Oh, I liked America Gods on the first read through, but I wasn't as blown away as I was with other Gaiman book, Sandman and Neverwhere to be exact. However, after reading Neil's thoughts on what he was doing and rereading it a few times, I find that it's grown on me. I think he does do an interesting job of capturing something american in the book.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! And I afraid that this thread was going to be about Paul Bunyan or some other nonsense. 'American Gods' sounds like a book that I might enjoy. I'll have to put that on my list to read after 'Memoirs of a Geisha' (sp on Geisha?).

I can always depend on Hatrack to point me towards Barnes and Noble once more.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Gaiman. Dug Neverwhere. Have not read American Gods yet.

Squick - check yer e-mail, woman.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Why yes, I am interested in learning how to increase my breasts up to two full cup sizes. Thanks for making sure I checked that out Ralphie.

Hey, you wanna see my webcam?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, I think Sandman might be his greatest, so far... But he's working on a new novel right now. Think it might be the sequel to Neverwhere, supposedly to be called The Seven Sisters. Also, someone is supposed to be making a Neverwhere movie, independent of the miniseries.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Squicky, I think you're crossing the parable of the mustard seed with the grain of wheat. There's no tree in the one you're looking for -- "unless a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies it remains just a single grain; but if it dies it bears much fruit."

Not that it really matters, since it fits your point just as well either way. It's just that I happen to be working with that particular text right now, so it caught my attention. Carry on.

Oh, and I enjoyed American Gods, although my attention wandered at a few places.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

oh yeah, that's the one. I couldn't think of the exact quote. There were some other one's from other places getting in the way.
ae
Member # 3291

I guess no one's read Smoke & Mirrors? [Frown]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have. [Smile]

I seriously dug his take on the Snow White fable, and the story he wrote for the newly married couple.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Yay! I liked those too. My favourite, though, is "The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories". That one makes me want to give up writing. [Hail]
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading "American Gods". Overall, the book was a great read for me. The ending kind of bugged me though. I liked the very end, the last chapter...but the stuff about the betrayal, the two man con near the end didn't fit so nicely IMO. Maybe I just wanted Wednesday to be this good god he couldn't have been...I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm definately hooked on Gaiman now, and I'll be checking out some of his other books.

There was one god in the book that fascinated the hell out of me...the god who's name Shadow can never remember. The one created from the sacrifice of gambling. There's potential for a whole short story just on that one god.

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, when people ask him at signings about that god, he says, "I'm sorry, who?" And they ask again, and he says, "I don't recall him... Do you have a page number?"

Super frustrating.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend (surprise!) who's been making me read all of her Gaiman. After I gave her Ender's Game, she's been trying to pay me back for creating an obsession. Enter Neverwhere. I really enjoyed that book, so she gave me American Gods. And after that, Coraline. All of which I enjoyed.

I think I enjoyed the mythology of American Gods more than the story. Don't get me wrong - the story was good, but I really liked how he put the Norse and Egyptian gods in an American, and more specifically Midwest, context. I like thinking that ancient gods still exist in some form. Yes, I am a Classics student with too much imagination [Smile] I'm also a sucker for any book that's even partly set in Wisconsin.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me recommend Good Omens again, too, although it's mostly a Pratchett work.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Gaiman did the Four Horsemen, though, which were my favorite.

Anyone here think Paul Simon's "Duncan" would be a great theme song for American Gods, if they ever made it a miniseries or something? I think so.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I borrowed American Gods from a neighbor a few days ago and am a little ways into it. So far I just keep thinking that it isn't nearly as funny as Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul, but otherwise almost exactly the same. Hopefully this will change soon.

Otherwise I like it a lot, I like Shadow, and most of the other characters introduced so far. But I keep getting sucked out of the story when I examine details to try to guess what will happen next, or who a particular god might be. I need to let myself get pulled in and be suprised when I find out.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

If you think it is (edit: almost) exactly the same as Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul, I don't think you are reading it the right way. The basic premise is somewhat similar, but besides that, they have almost nothing in common.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Book:
Anyone here think Paul Simon's "Duncan" would be a great theme song for American Gods, if they ever made it a miniseries or something? I think so.

Hm. I love the song, and I love the book, but I don't really see how they go together.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
If you think it is (edit: almost) exactly the same as Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul, I don't think you are reading it the right way.
Oooh! I had it upside down! [Razz]

Maybe "almost exactly" is a bit of an exageration, but where I am in the book, which is admitedly not that far, the similarities are more than "somewhat": A third party human discovering that the old gods are all still present in the world, but are reduced to lower than human statuses, except for in extreme situations. A new form of god appearing because of technology and peoples belief in it. Okay, I guess it's kind of a stretch. I'm sure AG will diverge significantly soon, but the comparison has struck me several times so far, and like I said, I'm not that far into it.

It's probably just a common theme and these are the only two books I've read incorporating it.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy Gaiman's work, and I think American Gods might be my favorite of his. I really enjoyed the whole book.

I'm really surprised that so many people here didn't like it much. I thought it was great.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it, and felt stupid, because I really felt that there was a whole layer of meaning and depth that I missed (My fault, not Gaiman's). It's one of those books I'm hoping I'll understand more on the second read.

Also, I went to a really tough summer program, and was kind of really stressed, and freaked out... And so, reading American Gods kind of aggravated the situation for me. As luck would have it, the next book I read was A game of Thrones. Again, not the best book for that time, for somebody as impressionable as I am.

I've got Anansi Boys from the library, and I'm about to read it (After I finish The Other Wind)

BTW: Somebody has a sn of 'Megaman'. You're my new favorite.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nathan,
You probably did miss a whole layer of meaning and depth. There's a lot of mythology (both the stories and the themes) wrapped into the book. One of the things that Gaimain started out with was the idea of not just "What if the gods were real?" but also, "What if the rules laid out in the myths were real?"

To me, it was his handling of the mythologies that was the most powerful thing in the book, but I think it make take a pretty good grounding in it in order to appreciate that.

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MegaMan:
I really enjoyed Neverwhere. Speaking of which, has anybody seen the BBC series of Neverwhere?

[Wave] Me, I have! I am awfully fond of it. It does some things catastrophically wrong, and there is this exasperating footage of the Beast that comes up over and over again and is plainly just a cow, but the casting is overall superb. Croup and Vandemar are great, Richard and Door are on the good side of fine, and there aren't sufficient adjectives in the English language to describe how excellent the Marquis is.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I read it, it was okay, but nothing spectacular and not, to me, worth a second read. I was bored in many places and thought it dragged too much.

Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, on the other hand, totally rocked. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a good and worthwhile read, but I think I liked Anansi Boys better.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jesus said something like, "If a seed does not fall to the ground and die, it can't grow into a great tree."
Um, no he didn't. The closest thing he ever said was, that you had to lose your life to save it. He also said a mustard seed can grow into a large plant. He never compared a seed to death. Unless you are talking about a different Jesus person.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading it and then stopped because I couldn't get into it. The only other Gaiman book I've read is Neverwhere and I thought that was only ok. I do want to read Stardust though.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Ok, yeah, it's nothing like LDTotS. I'm really enjoying it so far. Especially the long winded speech by Sam about how she believes everything. I want to get the whole speech tattooed on my back (not to cross threads or anything), under the heading "I believe nothing, Everything is sacred / I believe everything, Nothing is sacred".

The book is also really fitting in with the latest religion quiz we had here, which told me I'm a neo-pagan. I can dig it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.