FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Author Topic: The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I am considering applying for a semester exchange scheme between my university here in England and the university of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. I like my university, but I would love to experience a different school and a wider range of courses which Illinois would provide. However, I've never been there and am a little nervous as to what I would be letting myself in for.

So I was wondering - did anyone here go there for school? Or even visit? Any tips to help me make up my mind?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy went, as did Claudia Therese, and I lived in Urbana for three years. Where are you in England?

Champaign's better than Liverpool, but not quite as classy as Oxford. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielW2
Member # 5861

- posted      Profile for DanielW2   Email DanielW2         Edit/Delete Post 
What university are you at, Sugar and Spice ? I'm at Durham (:
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
coil? Is that you?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed nice enough when I visited my friends there. I always kinda intended to go there, but never actually did. The campus was nice enough, but I generally visited on weekends when classes weren't in session, so it never seemed like a very busy place to me, and I never actually walked around on the campus, just drove by it a few times.

Just make sure you go visit La Bamba's and get a "Burrito as Big as Your Head." Good stuff.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine anyone who would come all the way from England to live in the midwest. I mean, it's definitely America, but it's not where I'd like to go for my American experience. Is there much outside of Urbana-Champaign proper, besides terribly, terribly, flat land? I'd pick a Coast: New York, Boston, San Fran, or Seattle, but that's me and my time in the midwest was distressing. I'm a city guy and my sensibilities may not match-up with those of the good people of hatrack.

[ December 04, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a pretty large campus, but well organized so you don't have to run to all sides.

What are you studying? A large University like UIUC offers many diverse courses, which I found great. I really like the campus as well. It is pretty and has a large quad (big lawn area with buildings around it) to study and socialize in.

The only drawback to UIUC is that Champaign-Urbana is a pretty decent sized town, but the only towns around it are farm towns. It is a 3 hour drive to Chicago and a little more to St. Louis if you go South.

You can email me with specific questions if you'd like.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'm at York at the moment, which is a lovely, pretty town, although it's a little quiet. I just wanted to know if I would be making a mistake by applying to the scheme, since I'd never even heard of Urbana Champaign before last week - and there's no-one here who will give me an unbiased opinion.

Christy - If I get a place, I'll maybe e-mail you to find out more, but I think I probably will apply - you've reassured me.

DanielW2 - are you a fresher? How's Durham treating you?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielW2
Member # 5861

- posted      Profile for DanielW2   Email DanielW2         Edit/Delete Post 
I am indeed a fresher. I'm at St. Chad's college doing maths. Durham's treating me very well. Debating is amazing !

What subject do you do ?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

History student here. I've never been to Durham, but I've heard good things about it. I can't believe that it's almost Christmas - where has this term gone? It's nice not to feel quite so 'new' here though.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I went there, been gone about 2 and a half years now. The campus really is beautiful, but watch out for the smell coming off the south farms if the wind is blowing right. The campus is small enough that you can walk across it in about 20 to 30 minutes depending on walking speed, and it has most everything you could want. Except a major city, but C-U is about 100,000 native, so it's okay. The one thing I really liked about it was the huge diversity of students (though not necessarily in terms of background, more like interests and such).

-Mike

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard when I left, they were finally moving the South Farms due to complaints.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought I remembered something about that, something about new buildings, or a closer golf course or something. Can't remember exactly what it was, but I don't know if it's been done yet.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.