Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yanni

Author Topic: Yanni
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I'm going to get hooted off the forum for being a Yanni fan (my co-workers are already giving me grief about it), but HE'S COMING TO TOWN -- my town! in March! I'm so excited!!

I've been trying to get tickets all day, but the web site that sells them seems to not be working. So I have no idea how much this is even going to cost me -- but I will go into DEBT to see him.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make your own Yanni music at home with the NewAge Star® kit. The kit consists of a Casiotone keyboard, an instruction booklet and a role of tape. Following our five easy steps, you'll learn how to turn the keyboard on, and tape down one of the keys so that it plays the same note interminably. Advanced lessons show you how to switch from "organ" to "human voice" to "tubular bell" soundscapes and how to remove the tape from one key and use it to tape down another key.

As our special bonus, we'll include an egg timer so that you'll know when it's time to shift notes in your New Age symphony!!!

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Yanni, mostly.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But making the music at home wouldn't include the "eye candy", Bob

[Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Bob forget to mention that the kit includes a picture of himself?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh well! That changes everything!

You take credit cards for the kit, Bob? Sign me up!

[Big Grin]

cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
Though Im not a fan of yanni, simply because Ive never really paid attention to him, I am a big fan of George Winston. Hes mainly a solo piano player. He's coming to Miami University, here close to cincinnati, in April. I cant wait! Though I imagine the tickets are pretty steep, i think 26.00 or so.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob - That was the most beautifully executed slam on Yanni I've ever seen. And no one claiming to be a fan got offended.

Well played, Sir. Well played.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes, Bob has always shown all of us how to be the epitome of tact and style.....

[Wink]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
cyruseh, my wife convinced me to take her to a George Winston concert several years ago. I found out that while I enjoy his music, it is best listened to while doing something else. It is extremely hard to stay awake in a darkened concert hall listening to George Winston.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an in the closet Yanni fan. Have been for years and years. (My music major friends would string me up by my toenails if they knew. [Wink] ) I own cassette tapes...CDs...but alas, I do not own any DVD or VHS of one of his concerts in an exotic place. (I have recorded them off TV before though.)

I missed him when he came through here a few months ago because I am poor. I hope you get to see him Farmgirl.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love George Winston, and Michael Hedges, Michael Manring, Will Ackerman, and some other Windham Hill types. The only time I ever saw George Winston, I happened to find out he was coming to Borders in Salt Lake. I went down and got a table about 10 feet from where he was playing. He actually did a solo guitar concert for about 30 people. After it was done, I bought Plains (perhaps my least favourite of his albums, but hey, it's George) and he signed it. Finally, I put my name in a drawing, and won two tickets for the perfect seats at his sold-out concert at Abravanel Hall that evening. If I wasn't a fan before, I was after. As far as live instrumental music that I've seen, he's no Pat Metheny, but he's well worth whatever is the price for a ticket.

Speaking of his guitar stuff, have you ever heard any of the Hawaiian guitar albums he's produced on his label. If you haven't, go here. I've got a couple of the samplers, and they're swell.

I tried to listen to Yanni once, from an album that I borrowed. It wasn't bad, but I had no desire to buy the album. I have a hard time actually making fun of him, in a world where people like Courtney Love and Billy Ray Cyrus are making music. But as far as the genre goes, I prefer Vangelis. Similar music, but... I won't say better, I'll just say more suited to my tastes. I've heard quite a bit of new age music, and his album The City is the best of them all. He's done some fine soundtrack work as well, and a few other good albums.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanni is a pretty, pretty man. I'll give you that.

But can he cook spagetti with herb/butter sauce?

I take credit cards, for sure. And the item will appear on your bill as "House of Onan" so no-one will know what you bought.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Live at the Acropolis" is one of those CDs that I can listen to all the way through, over and over.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tickets are $55.50 and $38.50. Of course, I want the $55 ones, but have the $38 budget... [Frown]

Guess I'll have to rob a bank..... oh wait... that's right, I work at one, so I can't rob it....

Farmgirl

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Can't you just print some new money? Nobody knows what a $20 bill is supposed to look like anymore anyway.
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Yanni?

[ December 05, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: StigLarson ]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanni was on PBS here once. I listened. I liked. And it was one of those interview thingies, and it showed him and his Mom in the kitchen cooking.

So, Bob, you'll never know about that spaghetti sauce, now will you?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
did you know 'yanni' is a filler word in Arabic? When I saw this thread title I was thinking, "ummmmm..."
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yay!!

Yanni concert is TONIGHT!! I'm so excited. In another 3 1/2 hours I will be at the concert!

I've been waiting MONTHS for this.

Farmgirl

Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Yanni, back when he didn't write music to sleep by. Of course some of you might be thinking that describes all of his music, but his earliest stuff, in particular the "Keys To Imagination" album, is fantastically upbeat. I outlined one of my novels in its entirety while listening to that album. Sadly, I've been looking for something form him to live up to its standards ever since...and not finding it. EPCOT even uses pieces from that album to do their dancing fountains show. I miss the fast-paced Yanni. [Frown]
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The concert was FANTASTIC! No -- that word isn't even good enough.

What a night!

Cor -- you might want to check out his song "Niki Nana" -- it had the entire crowd up out of their seats dancing and clapping. Definately NOT music to sleep by. In fact, there was quite a few lively pieces tonight.

The diversity of the group is amazing -- musicians from all around the globe. And all master musicians. He liked to showcase pieces that let each musician have a "solo" part in it somewhere (kind of like jazz music does -- where each band member gets their few stanzas of pure power).

dkw -- they had a guy Yanni's orchestra that could play the hammer dulcimer like you wouldn't believe! Then, of course, they had things like the digri-do (okay - that is spelled wrong, but it is the native Austrailian or New Zealand instrument) and several other really unique offerings like that.

Vana -- they have one member that played oboe that had one piece that focused entirely around her part.

It's after midnight, though, so I need to go to bed. I just had to share the excitement.

Tracy

[ March 13, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.