FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Last Samurai?

Author Topic: Last Samurai?
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen it? I heard it was mediocre, but a friend I know who has awful taste in movies loved it. Should I spend my oh-so-precious money on it?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Severian
Member # 2465

- posted      Profile for Severian   Email Severian         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Tom Cruise is hot.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... While I really can't dispute that, I can point out that it doesn't really refer to me, being your usual idiot guy. But if I have any... well, unforeseen changes of heart, I'll be sure to take your advice.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think CNN or somebody was calling it a top Oscar contender.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the movie last night, and having heard the same rumors about it being mediocre I was pleasently surprised. It was actually a great movie. The begining of the movie was a bit disappointing, but other than that it very impressive. Unless of course you are familiar with Japanese history and you are fully aware of some of the less than truthful events in the movie.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to disagree. Tom Cruise is just getting old. He was hot in Top Gun and a couple other movies, but didn't impress me much in the Mission Impossible series. At the same time I like Asian history and will probably like the movie despite the flaws. Since the next move we are planning on seeing is RotK, we probably won't see it til it comes out on video though.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when Tom Cruise has long hair.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to it last night and I actually really enjoyed it (I was expectign to hate it). I liked that it wasn't just plain old good vs. evil. Also, whoever plays the Samurai is a really good actor (I thought).
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad Tom Cruise was there to help all those poor Japanese learn how to fight.
He's got a big heart.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a fun movie, but don't expect it to be anything then a linked series of cliches.

Spoilers

Here's a list of a few of the cliches.

The hero, in training, fights an obviously superior opponent. The hero gets beaten down. The hero gets up again. The people sneer. The hero gets beaten down again. The hero gets up again. The people sneer a little less. Etc, until finally he is finally rendered unconscious, but has won everybody's respect.

"I will miss our conversations."

The "traditional" people are simple and good, the "modern" people are evil.

Tom Cruise plays a Casablanca-type hero. Starts out selfish, becomes a selfless hero.

However, the scene where the woman dressed Cruise for battle was fantastic - they putting cloths on as sensual as other movies make taking them off.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. If you go see it just to be entertained, you won't be disappointed.

~~Irish~~

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's Ed Zwick, the director of GLORY and LEGENDS OF THE FALL. I'm there.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie wasn't about Cruise's character saving the Japanese people. If anything, they saved him (his soul).

The "beat down, get back up" scene did not happen as previously described. He was not in training, and the people did not sneer. The samurai who kept beating on him was being ruthless, and the others disapproved at first, but then realized that even when brutalized, the strange white man would not give up. They began to realize why their leader brought him back to the village.

Not all of the traditional people were simple and good, and not all of the modern people were evil. The British journalist was modern, and happened to be a rather "good" character overall, while quite a few of those in the samurai village were succumbing to ruthlessness and pride, only obeying orders because of honor. It would be more accurate to paint the politicians as the ones who were blatantly painted evil.

Cruise's character wasn't selfish in the beginning, he was self-loathing. He hated himself for what he had done, and was living a life to die. From the samurai, he learned to live life to LIVE. That was kinda the point of the movie.

This is the first time I've seen ninja and samurai in a movie that wasn't cheesy. I agree about the dressing scene's sensuality.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept looking for Rorouni Kenshin, but couldn't find him anywhere.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I too was hoping to see the legendary man-slayer Dan.

[ December 08, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: LockeTreaty ]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.