FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cyrano de Bergerac

Author Topic: Cyrano de Bergerac
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished reading the play by Rostand. I enjoyed it immensely. I think there were a few jokes in the first act that I didn't get (not being fully in tune to French culture). But the beauty of this play is that it transcends the locale and time, as well as the original intended audience to present a timeless story.

I think I'll have to find out more about the real life Cyrano. I liked how Philip Jose Farmer used Cyrano as a character in the Riverworld series and now that I've read the play, I think I'd like to know what the man was like in reality.

Anyway, just a post to see if there are other fans of this play out there on the 'rack.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Cyrano de Bergerac is one of my favorite works of all time. It is a masterpiece.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Roxanne is a pretty good Steve Martin movie, too. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It is that! I kind of like the Roxanne ending better than the Cyrano one. But I'm a big romantic fluff!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
"And as I reach my refrain, thrust home!"
Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ah...sublime!
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I do love Cyrano de Bergerac... It has been the first "adult book" I read, at the age of 7. The real Cyrano has himself written books, about the various way to go to the moon, for exemple. I think they are still edited in French, if you're searching for them.
By the way, did you read the book in French ?

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

No. Je ne parle pas fracaise.
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a translation of The Other World: Voyage to the Moon by Cyrano de Bergerac by Don Webb at Bewildering Stories . If you click on Special features its listed there.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to teach Cyrano to my juniors - and while it's a good play, there is not much to it. The main thing we focused on was why it's a comedy and not a tragedy. They have a tough time with that because of

SPOILER!

Cyrano dying at the end, as well as Christian dying. They struggled to find any renewal in it - so that's what we did with it as opposed to a much finer close textual reading of it. We only did that once on a passage of figuring out who Cyrano is and what makes him tick.
A good read I suppose, but, other than some of the jokes, is kinda blah for me.

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Vous n'écrivez pas en français, non plus. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to sarcastically thank Tom for getting The Police stuck in my head right before bed.

If I dream about Sting, I'm coming to Wisconsin to thank you over and over with a wiffle bat.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

It's funny, a lot of people here speak Spanish or Portuguese, but very few speak French.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Cyrano because it was both wild and romantic and yet seemed to speak the truth about its charecters. A great read really. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I would SO like to see it played in real !
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, there are quite a few French-speakers here; we just don't feel the obsessive need to write in French all the time, unlike the Spanish-speakers. *grin*

[ December 08, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Oui! [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an old Black & White movie version of the play. They played it on the local Church channel with the poor reception that nobody ever watches, but that insists it plays good stuff.

Anyway, I watch that movie every time its on.

PS: Anna? You keeping your feet above water? I heard there were all kinds of nasty floods in France. Just want to make sure they are all South of you.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
You know, there are quite a few French-speakers here; we just don't feel the obsessive need to write in French all the time, unlike the Spanish-speakers. *grin*

Oh, that would explain things [Smile]
quote:
Anna? You keeping your feet above water? I heard there were all kinds of nasty floods in France. Just want to make sure they are all South of you.
It's in the South so I'm not directly touched but I know people who are and who had a hard time... Let's hope the insurance will pay for that, cause it's really a mess, a lot of money has been lost because of it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.