FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you like this song by Cake?/ Weightlifter Bob Strikes Again

Author Topic: Do you like this song by Cake?/ Weightlifter Bob Strikes Again
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So Weightlifter Bob who has some similar tendencies to Lalo when it comes to women in general, asks me why I don't wear a dress to work. The answer is obvious. I play with chemicals. He came back with, well you could wear a lab coat. That there aren't any lab coats that actually fit me was deemed irrelevant.

Anyway I jokingly said yeah I'd wear a dress if I could wear a "short skirt and a long jacket." Despite my anti-dress tendencies, I do admit I like this song by Cake. Does anyone else?

quote:

Short Skirt/Long Jacket
I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
and eyes that burn like cigarettes
I want a girl with the right allocations
Who is fast and thorough and sharp as a tack
She's playing with her jewelry
She's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket

I want a girl who gets up early (gets up early)
I want a girl who stays up late (stays up late)
I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity (uninterrupted)
Who uses a machete to cut through red tape

With fingernails that shine like justice
And a voice that is dark like tinted glass
She is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack
She is touring the facility and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a long long jacket

I want a girl with a smooth liquidation (smooth liquidation)
I want a girl with good dividends (good dividends)
At Citibank we will meet accidentally (meet accidentally)
We'll start to talk when she borrows my pen

She wants a car with a cupholder armrest
She wants a car that will get her there
She's changing her name from "Kitty" to "Karen"
She's trading her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron
I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket

[ December 08, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It was funny the first time, but then they started playing it every other song on the radio. I must admit that I don't like it anymore.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
i love cake! but that song is not one of my favorites. i really like "commissioning a symphony in c," "i will survive," and "perhaps, perhaps, perhaps."
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I admit I don't listen to pop radio very much at all. Basically only when I travel long distances. Then I use that time to "catch up" with pop culture and I don't get burned out by the over playing.

I find your characterization of the song as "funny" strange. While I like the song I would have never viewed it as "funny". Maybe it is because I identify with the girl in the song in some ways and in other ways I wish I could be like her. It is the only song I have ever heard that genuinely compliments a girl on her brains rather than her figure.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Funny": Just the way they chant the lyrics and especially the "looooooooooooooooong."

However, the feeling I get from the lyrics is that the girl is desperately trying to change her identity to be taken more seriously. And the guy has got these impossible expectations. The song gives me the same feeling that watching the Oscars or Access Hollywood does: a bunch of hollow people trying desperately to make glamor seem ultra-important. And I don't know if the singer is serious or being intentionally ironic.

Like I said, the first time I heard the song I thought it was funny. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Wow it is interesting how two people can take a song so differently. At worst what I hear is a guy asking for a sugar momma to support him so that he doesn't have to pay the bills.

The way I take it though is that he thinks a girl with a "mind like a diamond" who is able to give orders and make intelligent decisions and thrive on the pressure of the corporate world while still being feminine is pretty darn sexy.

That isn't a message you actually hear very often in pop music.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I would keep the MG though, I'm not big on Crysler Lebarons!

AJ

kneelunge
Member # 6010

- posted      Profile for kneelunge   Email kneelunge         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this song. Basically this dude wants a girl who is everything unusual, a woman of tomorrow. Implicit in the song is that he will [Hail] her always.

But then, that's how I choose to enjoy the song. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
the question here is, is the weightlifter going the distance?
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm sure weightlifter Bob would be offended if he knew the question was asked.

I really don't see a girl struggling with her self-identity in that song. I see a girl who knows exactly who she is and what she wants who is working to get it.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's going for speed.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL]

you guys are too much!

AJ

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I heard weightlifter Bob say that He's all alone in his time of need
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
As to the original topic, I really like this song. I have recently gone on a Cake binge (pun intended). I have been getting all of their CDs from the library to give them a listen again after a recommendation from my brother. The bass player is incredible. If you like this song you may like some of their other stuff as well.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think weightlifter Bob should get a clue! I wear ratty clothes to work because even labcoats aren't impervious! Would he wear a good suit to work, or one of his favorite shirts? I've gotten too many acid holes in good clothes to know better.

On the other hand, I do like to dress up, so I surprise work people when I see them on the weekends and I'm feeling girly. I always say "I clean up nice, don't I?" *giggle*

Edit: Sheep go to Heaven is my favorite Cake song, but I do like that one, too.

[ December 09, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Exactly, Christy, I couldn't say it better myself. Though Weightlifter Bob is a pretty tidy dresser. Remember I thought he was gay to begin with <grin> I saw him get pretty ticked off when he got grease on his white button up shirt he was wearing to work (who wears a white shirt to work? not any of the other guys!) He kind of dresses cowboy style with the button up shirts and jeans but without the boots. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hey what ever floats his boat.

AJ

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like wearing dresses and skirts to school, even when it's impractical. Even better? Riding a skirt in a bike.

The best Cake song, though, is "Comfort Eagle." Their best album, however, is Fashion Nugget.

Stick shifts and safety belts.... bucket seats have all got to go...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I aspire to having fingernails that shine like justice
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Riding a skirt in a bike.
Sounds impractical.

(My dirty mind had come up with far worse innuendos, but I'll just leave that as an exercise for the reader.)

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It sounds impractical, but it's actually quite comfortable and even more so than pants. Then again, I don't like pants.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
exercise for the reader
Great. Thanks. [Roll Eyes] [No No]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Annie. How does one go about riding a skirt, anyway?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only heard the song a couple of times. It was kinda funny, and it wasn't the usual songs they play over, and over...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] <--*That's Saxon, I'm just out of the picture continually hitting his head against the wall*

[Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Sorry if my lysdexia confuses you.

But it is funny that I didn't see that until the 8th time I read it.

asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
We wear lab jackets where I work.

Unfortunately, we also wear tyveks jumpsuits, or "bunnysuits" as they are less-than-affectionately called.

My "office" is in a clean room: In front of the labs proper, but still a sterile environment. Therefore, I get to wear a blue "bunny suit." It zips up the front and looks very like a set of paper "footy-pajamas" like one wears as a child. Only, obviously, not paper like these are.

They would be pajama-y enough as is without the addition of the sterile shoe covers or "booties." Before I can put on the booties, I have to stand on flypaper (the "tacky mat"), run around in circles getting the crud off of your shoes which have touched things like the street, grass, dog doo and other things not usually found in a hospital.

After these calisthenics, I'm somehow supposed to put the booties on. This is tough. First, the booties aren't allowed to touch the fly-paper because the sticky stuff is contaminated now with all the crud from your nasty shoes. Second, your recently de-crudded shoes aren't considered sterile, only decrudded, so they can't touch the floor. The trick, I think, is levitation.

After the booties, then I put on the footy-pajamas. Then I remember (of course) that I've left something in the breakroom and have to grab my labcoat to protect my pj's while I run through the non-sterile hallway full of liquid nitrogen (well, tanks of it, anyway). Then I have to remember to take the labcoat off before you enter a lab because it's the thing that blocks the hall crud and you certainly don't want to carry that back in there with you. Plus, at this point, I now need a new pair of booties because they have come away from the "holy ground" of the clean room and can never re-enter. Crazy, eh? Good thing everything's disposable.

*breathe*

I'm sorry... where were we?

Oh yes. I like Cake. Great band, even better dessert. Plus, Sheep Go to Heaven, Goats Go to Hell is a stinkin' fun song.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Severian
Member # 2465

- posted      Profile for Severian   Email Severian         Edit/Delete Post 
CAKE is one of my favorite bands. But why has no one mentioned the truly great CAKE songs like "Jolene" and "Italian Leather Sofa"? But yeah, all I love all CAKE songs.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
If Steven Wright and Burt Bacarach made a band, it'd be cake. Deadpan delivery, catchy music and lyrics. Gotta love 'em.

Love the horns and they generally have the bounciest bass lines.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.